The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Better neckstrap for PO camera and back?

Henry Goh

Do you guys use the original Mamiya/Phaseone strap or have you found something better? On cameras like Nikon where they use the ring type strap, I use Leica neckstraps and I find these lightweight and comfortable. On Canons and Mamiya, I'm not able to use Leica type straps.

I have Upstraps but find the rubber to be heavy and stiff. Neoprene straps fray and look very worn quickly so I stop using these. Hope to hear some better ideas from you guys.

Clawery

Henry,

I have one of the Skooba Superbungee Straps and it works great. It's quite giving on the shoulder and comfortable. It lists for $101.95 US. They come in a multitude of colors, but the Black/Grey is cat# R730-202.

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Dale Allyn

I think the $101.95 is for the six pack. Singles are around $22 or so U.S. Not that everyone can or should sell at B&H prices, but the 6-pack is $101.95 there.

arashm

feeew now that makes more sense :)
I know photography stuff is expensive but $101 is just a bit on the "really steep" side.
am

Henry Goh

I had a look at B&H and see that the strap looks quite narrow. Can it take the weight of a Phamiya with say the 150mm f/2.8 IF D lens?

kdphotography

I had a look at B&H and see that the strap looks quite narrow. Can it take the weight of a Phamiya with say the 150mm f/2.8 IF D lens?
I've seen the Skooba and it seems quite sturdy---I don't think it would have any problems handling the Phase 645AF. I went with the lighter Optech strap instead for my Phase 645AF.

Chris probably included the six-pack price for the Skooba, because he knows that there are several people on this forum that seem to buy cameras like six-packs....

:ROTFL:

Henry Goh

I've seen the Skooba and it seems quite sturdy---I don't think it would have any problems handling the Phase 645AF. I went with the lighter Optech strap instead for my Phase 645AF.

Chris probably included the six-pack price for the Skooba, because he knows that there are several people on this forum that seem to buy cameras like six-packs....

:ROTFL:
Thanks Ken.

I have the Optech but I find the edges fray and gets real ugly after a few weeks' use. Maybe I should see if they have other models that don't use fabric trimmings.

woodyspedden

One more vote for the Upstrap. I have been using these products for years on a variety of bodies and have never once been disappointed. Your camera simply won't fall from your shoulder.

Woody

Henry Goh

I use a UpStrap and a Hassy Hand Strap for my PhaseBody
The Upstrap has rather stiff and heavy rubber and adds to the weight. On the other hand, Leica strap have a very thin molded rubber pad. I may have to cut off a new Leica strap at the ends and modify that to use with the PO 645.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Nice thing on the Upstrap it is two sided and many times when in a rush you don't have time to get the leica strap on the right side but it is a nice strap. I use a M series on the PO because it really is not used so much as a neck strap but more to pick up and handle the camera and it has saved the PO body 3 times now from hitting the ground because i caught the strap. About the only reason i keep it on the body otherwise I use the hand strap when shooting.

Henry Goh

Guy, that's true about the two-side rubber pad.

Just finished modifying the Leica strap to stay on the PO 645 camera. Now I don't feel like a walking billboard for Phase.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have snap rings mounted on my hand-strap, so whenever I need a shoulder strap, I simply attach a Domke QR strap. The Domke is wide enough to be comfortable but not bulky. If I didn't already own a few of the Domke straps, I would probably do the same with the UpStrap.

Henry Goh

I bought the Kirk L bracket so that one does not have the slot for a hand strap. Didn't know RRS's had the slot. Thanks.

T

tetsrfun

I use a UpStrap and a Hassy Hand Strap for my PhaseBody
I use a Hassy Hand Strap on the Hassy and UpStraps on everything else. I think I am up to > 6 UpStraps. There is nothing like the feel of the security of the strap on the shoulder.

Steve