The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P30+ the real world noise

fotografz

Amen to that, only for me it has been for Phase, Canon and Leica files. For posterity, it would be great if you cross-posted this comment in the C1 v LR thread in our processing forum...
:ROTFL:

Are we marshalling forces here on this subject?

Irakly produces phenominal images from his Phase One/Contax 645 and Leica M8, hates C1, and uses nothing but Lightroom.

How many do I need? I can have a posse here by noon ... :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member

Dude, we both need to build our armies in the face of the eventual Armageddon that thread is leading up to!

S

Shelby Lewis

BTW, serious kudos to this forum, I can't think of a single other forum that those 3 threads on the subject have provided so much information, friendliness and acceptance of peoples preferences. On even the better forums out there it would have automatically become a slinging flame war. This is why this forum is so incredibly helpful and such a nice place to be.
+1!!!

In another "forum" I'm a part of, I'd have been run off long ago for even mentioning a 35mm camera on the mf board :D

Love the sense of camaraderie here!

fotografz

Totally agree Ben and great comments. Some cams just simply do not work well or play well with some converters this is a classic case we are seeing I know for sure with the M8 and Phase and as Shelby is mentioning with the new Sony cam which i am dying to try myself.
I don't agree with Shelby's Sony comment ... at least not yet.

All those A900 shots I've posted so far were from LR.

Gotta play with C1 more and see if I can squeeze more out of the .ARW files.

But to be fair to C1, I'm gonna give it time ... like Ben said, gotta invest some time to max out what may be possible.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree give it a little time and do some comparisons. I know we tease each other on this but ultimately we all learn from it. It's really hard to say something is better when you can change the dynamics of something because Raw processing is a moving target with different files.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I will say Shelby,Marc and myself are 3 Pros that look for speed of workflow because we deal with a lot of files at once not to exclude anyone here either but we look more at flying fast more than quality of output. But I guess my point here is sure I can get LR or ACR to work but it the damn tweaking and presets I have to make that drive me nuts. For us three and folks like us coming out of the can looking good is actually at least in my mind more important so i don't have to screw around so much. Now that is just the file itself than we have to deal with workflow speed on top of that and picking a RC is a tough call. One reason I mentioned in the other thread is so being darn good at one of these RC programs and almost be able to write the program yourself. When we hit that proficiency we actually get to spend time with our family. Instead of endless hours of processing files that in reality we do not get paid for. I know a big sore spot. LOL

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I want to echo a lot of the comments made here. I was thoroughly hooked on LR right from the start (partly because of a shoot in Iceland with Thomas Knoll). We were both Canon shooters back then. When I moved to MFDB I continued with the "comfortable" LR.

Then last year I was on a shoot with Kevin Raber of Phase One and happened to see his files, both Canon and Phase, shot at the same time as mine, on C1. Wow - they made my LR files look muddy. So, as others have said, I decided I'd better invest some time in truly learning C1. I'm still no expert but my files are way better "out of the box".

And Sony files at anything but ISO 200 need C1.

Having said all that, I still use LR for slideshows (of which I do a lot) and the web. It is definitely more intuitive than C1 and of course its grad filter and retouching capabilities alone are very worthwhile.

We are fortunate to have two such great products to use, each for its own strengths.

My last echo is to (vehemently!) agree this is the most well-informed and courteous site for discussions. I learn something new every day from each of you.

Bill

A

apneaimages

Guy , sure you have test the Old Phase one P30 to...
I am curius how the noise is if you compare P30 & P30+ lets say in 400 iso. Same , stronger, digital, Filmlike?

woodyspedden

I have been back and forth on MFDB (Bought and sold a 39 Mpx back from Hassy, not because it was bad but because I was! That is I just could not get the files to be where I needed them to be. Bad Me......Surely not Hassy....just look what Fotografz can do with his 39 or for that matter his 31)

Right now I am getting great files with my new D3X and have little to no motivation to get back into MFDB. Exception may be a technical camera to do the kind of high precision landscapes I want and need for my portfolio. I suspect that, through Doug and Capture Integration, I will end up with a Phase back attached to something like the Cambo WDS which seems to me to be the (at least at this iteration of the technical issues at hand) best way to go.

Let's see what works as we go forward.

I was going to look seriously at the Leica S2 (I'll make you a bet that these will become the best lenses available for these MFDB specified cameras) but the inability to use the "back" on a tech camera really is a serious limitation. I had not postured this before but I really believe it now

JMHO

Woody

Paratom

I was going to look seriously at the Leica S2 (I'll make you a bet that these will become the best lenses available for these MFDB specified cameras) but the inability to use the "back" on a tech camera really is a serious limitation. I had not postured this before but I really believe it now

JMHO

Woody
IMO it depends if Leica can make a very good T/S lens - one might eventually not even need a tech camera any more ?