The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HELP, my Phase One P45+ is driving me crazy

jlm

Workshop Member
i find this episode amazing. It appears the back was purchased with minimum understanding of digital capture and raw processing. his difficulties are with C1 not the 45+. apparently it was an impulsive purchase?

Digitalcameraman

I just received my phase one P45+ back. I read the manual , which seemed straight forward. When i set up the back i set it up for i set the file format to IIQ Raw L, ASA 50. I shot some test photos and opened the file with capture one DB and also tried photoshop CS2. the files seemed to have been saved as tiffs and the resulting file size was the size of a postage stamp with 170dpi.
Can anyone get be set up on this back, as i would like to shoot tonight and not wait till tomorrow when Digital transitions opens.
tomorrow i will call digital transitions.
For the record: i am running Capture One DB 3.7.4
a dual 2.5GHz MAC with OS 10.4.11 and Adobe CS3.(my main computer)
When i open capture DB and try to import captures I get the following message: Failed to import The captures could not be imported because the import file does not exist
I am able to open the captures in CS3.
Apparently i need however many hours of capture one DB training it takes to use what appears to be powerful but highly counterintuitive software.
While the back may be capable of excellent captures i am not impressed. I've tried several digital models(canon 1DSII, mamiya ZD and now the phase P45+) I have never had this level of difficulty.
I have used drum scanners, dedicated film scanners and now a creo IQ3 scanner with no training whatsoever and have never been this frustrated/disappointed.
I would like however to thank everyone that contributed advice and guidance. I sincerely appreciate the help.

Leo:

I am sorry you are having problems. The other item I see is that you must have loaded the CD that ws in the case. 3.7.4 had more issues than this forum had bandwidth and storge to explain. You are right it also had problems importing the images when you inserted a CF card. That Cd was the one P1 packages the camera with when it was manufactured 1.5 years ago

if you are not running a intel based machine, follow this line to download DB 3.7.9. When C4 was release, Phase One moved this very important application for people with non intel based machines to the Phase One Mac software archive. Even on the phone with customers it is like a needle in a hay stack to find.

Follow this link to the P1 site and download what I consider the only version to run with your machine specs. If you have not created a user profile you will need to do this just like with any company on the planet.

No need to download 4.8X because your computer does not have an intel chip unless you have one and do not know it. Go to about this Apple and if it is only dual 2.5 then you have to run older style. No big deal, 65% of my customers are still running the old version for this reason too. If it is not broken do not fix it. But 4.8X is like entering a new universe. Totally awesome. But remember that requires a intel box or laptop to run.

http://www.phaseone.com/home/conten...Language=2776733f-13f6-4887-ba49-d4a9168a79d0

3.7.9 imports correctly. I ran across this issue doing demos and it is very frustrating. Take that 3.7.4 and throw it in the recycle bin. It is worthless. I take them out of the box when I sell a used camera because they caused nothing but support nightmares and frustration for endusers just like you are experiencing.

So get the correct version and you will find the key to paradise. Now it is time for espresso.

PS

Not quite sure why you described the ability to learn Capture One DB cost thousands of dollars to get up and running. That seems a little odd to me.
I get people shooting, editing, and processing images in 15 minutes in onsite installation. Sure remote is a little more difficult but not that big of a deal.
I was also Scitex dealer and I know that the scanners you refer to were not plug and play. You can get this running, do not loose faith.

Chris Snipes
image Production Inc
Phase One Reseller
Phase One Test Studio

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
i find this episode amazing. It appears the back was purchased with minimum understanding of digital capture and raw processing. his difficulties are with C1 not the 45+. apparently it was an impulsive purchase?
If you're using C1 3, which is a great piece of software even if it lacks some of the features of C1 4, then there is a great book by Walter Borchenko which steps you through both the basics and advanced steps.

I'm working very very hard to hold my tongue on the other issues presented here. Suffice it to say CI provides a higher level of service than Felix received.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I think there is a really good lesson to be had here:

You got a screaming good deal on a P45+ at $13K IIRC (and you're absolutely sure it is a PLUS [+] back, right?) but apparently no support from your dealer? I think the lesson is sometimes you get what you pay for...
~~~

That aside, once somebody spends the 15 minutes with you that Chris alluded to above -- and he's given you a HUGE tip right there re C1 3.7.9 -- you should be able to start enjoying the outfit and we can help you with the rest...

PS: I think Chris as a dealer is to be commended in his effort to assist somebody he spoke with who eventually bought elsewhere --- I'm not sure I could be so gracious...

:rolleyes:,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree Jack we have some great dealers here that are always willing to jump in get folks going and have nothing to gain. Gotta love the spirit of all of them.

Don Libby

I've decided that I'm content to sit on the sidelines on this drama and watch how it works out.

I also think a very big thank-you is owed Chris for his unselfish attitude in stepping in and attempting to help.

As well as Doug for stepping up to the plate while keeping some of his comments to himself.

I also can't help but agree with the tough love of Carsten's.

This should be a very valuable lesson to everyone - cheap bid is not the answer! It's all about the dealer! I thank my lucky stars I was fortunate enough to find a kickass dealer when I did - then again I was looking at the whole package price and service with a heavy emphasis on service. You get what you pay for.

These thoughts were posted before my first coffee of the day and yes I tend be to a little cranky...

Don

Remember the 6 P Principal

Proper
Planning
Prevents
P...
Poor
Performance

Clawery

I agree Jack we have some great dealers here that are always willing to jump in get folks going and have nothing to gain. Gotta love the spirit of all of them.
Guy is correct. The dealers that frequent this and other forums are here to help, even if they didn't originally purchase from that dealer. I'm sure that from with the vast amount of knowledge on this forum we should be able to help you get up and running smoothly.

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)

D

ddk

That's how I read this too, and I don't see why the dealer, who is reputable by the way, is to blame. Let's face it MF digital isn't a walk in the park.

Pick up any dslr today, set everything to auto, shoot, import raw files to LR, a couple of clicks and you have excellent results within minutes, then you can start learning and fine tuning, but you have something in your hands from the beginning. You can's say the same for MF digital, you need quite a bit of experience and digital savvy just to begin approaching what you can get from a high end dslr straight out of the box; and you know what's required to actually reach the full potential of any of these high end dbs. Heck I know quite a few successful and established photographers who after years don't do any of their own finishing.

What's wrong with someone not wanting to deal with all this, if Leo/Felix isn't happy with the purchase, that's all there is to it, I'm sure that we've all bought equipment that didn't fit us in the past.

kdphotography

What's wrong with someone not wanting to deal with all this, if Leo/Felix isn't happy with the purchase, that's all there is to it, I'm sure that we've all bought equipment that didn't fit us in the past.
True.

Okay, now---who in this support group is gonna buy Leo/Felix's P45+ ??

Guy?

:LOL:

M

michelle

Leo purchased his P45+ used off someone on the internet and asked me (Digital Transitions) to do a free mount swap which I did. I followed up with him when he got the system. I helped him get the mask in and asked if he had any other questions. He asked for the price of the cleaning kit and nothing else. He never asked about training or how to use Capture One.

Digital Transitions is more than happy to help Leo even though he did not buy the unit from us. I have posted that on LL and I have also emailed Leo that I am more than happy to help him.

Since this post started Leo has been in contact with the support team at Digital Transitions and we are working to get him pointed in the right direction. He was using an outdated version of Capture One and had to upgrade to 3.7.9. We will continue to work with him so the learning curve is not so steep.

felix5616

I was not complaining about any dealer, if thats what anyone was implying, quite the opposite. I did alot of research into this product. I am also not a digital novice. I have successfully and easily used an ICG drum scanner, Canon 1DSII, mamiya ZD camera, nikon coolscan 9000 and currently using a creo IQ3 smart scanner, in addition to having used 5 large format printers form both HP and epson. my issue is simply the software for the P45+ requires substantially more formal study/training the my research suggested. I did in fact receive excellent, quick support this morning from digital transitions in NY, in addition to everyone here, so no complaints there. I however do most of my work from midnight to 4AM when there is no tech support, thats where i run into difficulty. Once i run into a problem that i can not solve i find it frustrating to walk away with no solution. As for price shopping that for some of us is a reality and price for me has never meant not getting help, for that i am grateful. Chris snipes who i was to purchase from but did not was very generous in his advice/support, even though he did not get my business, and i that regard he has my respect and thanks.
again to all, your assistance i very much appreciated. I have a few buyers interested in purchasing the back, so things look alot better this morning than they did last night.

S

selsoe

Are you seriously selling your DB because you find Capture One difficult to learn?? As others have stated, you can get going within 15 minutes!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
my issue is simply the software for the P45+ requires substantially more formal study/training the my research suggested.
Thanks for the clarification on the actual issue and that it was NOT dealer support issue!

However, as others have indicated, getting started with C1 to the point you can get awesome quality images out of your new back will take all of 15 or 20 minutes tops. Learning the more advanced tricks for tweaking images to perfection comes simply with time using the software ;)

:

Dale Allyn

I'd like to clarify one point here: users of Power PC Macs (i.e. non-Intel chip architecture) are not required to stay with version 3.7.9 of C-1. One of my Macs is a PowerMac G5 (PPC) running OS 10.4.11. It's slower than Felix's though has lots of RAM and several hard drives. This machine hosts Capture One version 4.11 and mostly works fine. It's not like running it on an Intel Mac, but it will get Felix way beyond where this thread started.

Tip: if running the configuration I describe above, close C-1 before opening CS3. They don't play nicely together. ;)

Of course, C1 3.7.9 works fine too, but I feel that moving to 4.11 is worth it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks for the clarification on the actual issue and that it was NOT dealer support issue!

However, as others have indicated, getting started with C1 to the point you can get awesome quality images out of your new back will take all of 15 or 20 minutes tops. Learning the more advanced tricks for tweaking images to perfection comes simply with time using the software ;)
Maybe you can take that P45+ to the June GetDPI.com workshop out West. A few days with seasoned Phase shooters (including myself and Guy) and you'll forget all about your midnight woes.

Plus I'll even go shooting out with you at night-owl hours of the day; Ive been itching to do long exposures at night out there.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

carstenw

While your statement is true in the general case, the thing that gets my goat is that the whole Kübler-Ross grief cycle took place in about 4 hours, from starting to work with the device to the decision to sell. Without saying this to be offensive, this has to be the least amount of work that I have ever seen anyone willing to do to get his value out of a $13000 purchase, by far.

I am shocked, to be honest.

Digitalcameraman

I'd like to clarify one point here: users of Power PC Macs (i.e. non-Intel chip architecture) are not required to stay with version 3.7.9 of C-1. One of my Macs is a PowerMac G5 (PPC) running OS 10.4.11. It's slower than Felix's though has lots of RAM and several hard drives. This machine hosts Capture One version 4.11 and mostly works fine. It's not like running it on an Intel Mac, but it will get Felix way beyond where this thread started.

Tip: if running the configuration I describe above, close C-1 before opening CS3. They don't play nicely together. ;)

Of course, C1 3.7.9 works fine too, but I feel that moving to 4.11 is worth it.

Dale:

I have seen a few be able to run the new versions of software . I do not think that the Mac OS has anything to do with it. The new versions of 4X look for the intel based chip and will not install if not present. I just tried to install on Imac last week and ran into same situation. Early versions of 4x seem to get past this installer which looks for the presence of an intel based chip set.

The official word from Phase One is that it is not supported. What that means is that if it works but down the road it has issues or quits, don't expect anyone at P1 to help. There position is that we do not support using 4x on non-intel based machines.

Even my early versions of 4 not 4.1 would run but not smooth and without issues on a Dual 2.0 G5.

Just a FYI.

Chris Snipes
image Production,Inc
Phase One Reseller
Phase One Test Studio

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]