The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Videos

O

Optechs Digital

Dear Forum Readers,

My company has created a few videos on the Alpa camera system. Since there seems to be a lot of interest in Alpa with this group I thought some of you might be interested to take a look.

I hope this is appropriate and useful to this forum.

You can see them at either:

www.youtube.com/optechsdigital
or
www.optechsdigital.com

I welcome any feedback.

Best Regards,
Paul

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I hope this is appropriate and useful to this forum.
[...]

I welcome any feedback.
Appropriate and Useful?
Very

Feedback
- Not so sure about the developing theme of lightly colored button-ups. I'd go black turtleneck like Steve Jobs. That Alpa is so sexy; don't let it outshine you too much!
- Never hurts to include a beautiful women where applicable!

Other Comments
Really great first post Paul. Hope you stick around and continue to contribute!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'd also add one focus method to your Alpa focusing list. Preset "1-shot hyperfocal" (traditionally referred to as just "hyperfocal") and "2-shot hyperfocal" focusing.

1-shot hyperfocal (traditional hyperfocal) most photographers know.

2-shot hyperfocal method
1) Determine the smallest-sized (largest #) aperture that you can use
2) Find the closest point of focus which makes infinity critically sharp. That is your 1-shot hyperfocal point.
3) Set camera to 1-shot hyperfocal point and find the closest point which is still in critical focus. This is your 1-shot hyperfocal near-limit limit.
4) Find the closest point of focus which makes the 1-shot hyperfocal near-limit critically sharp. This is your 2-shot hyperfocal point. For consistent results allow a slight overlap.

Once you've figured out your two points just put them in a note on your cell phone in case you forget (or if your inclined put a discrete mark on the lens at each point) and when you go to shoot just set to HF#1 and shoot, then set to HF#2. When you get home you can stack the two in Helicon Focus (or CS4).

30-second illustrative sketch in photoshop attached.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Don Libby

Paul

Just finished looking at the videos and give you three :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Agree w/Doug great first post welcome to Getdpi and looking forward to more to come.

Don

robmac

Do have a question re: the TC (or I guess any Alpa unit), any issues using a Mamiya/Hassy/Contax, etc factory FILM back -- via the required mounting adapter?

PeterA

Yes always good to see something on the Alpa :thumbup:

As a long time fan and owner user I have to say ( somewhat ironically) that after much consideration - I haev decided to go teh arTec route for my big boy system ( I will keep my 12WA for walk around fun)

The artec gives me inbuilt and elegant focussing via freznel and magnifying loupe - and a sliding back so that I dont have to worry about dust and stuff
It also gives me inbuilt geared tilt as well as vertical and horisontal shift.

Don - thanks for posting a clear diagram of a simple and neat methodology for people to use. I will add another dimension to the methodology by seeing how I can incorporate some tilt to add to the potential.

It will take a few weks for my kit to arrive.

Don Libby

Peter - you need to thank Doug for the diagram not me (although I was thinking of adding to it..)

Don

S

smei_ch

Contax or Hasselblad filmbacks can't be used on an Alpa.

An adapter for Mamyia RB backs is available.
Or the 2 dedicated 6x9 backs, one built by Mamyia, one by Linhof.

micek

It is possible to use a Hasselblad film back with an Alpa if you first wind it on to shot number 1 on a Hasselblad body -not ideal, but possible.

robmac

Thanks for answers on the film backs. Film or digital or both, the TC in particular looks like a kit a person could have a lot of fun with. Not cheap mind you, but when you consider the cost of a digital back....

Nice job Paul, keep it up.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I need to watch them but I think I remember watching one of them but I agree any demo on how this stuff really works is well worth watching. I had a Alpa TC and loved it

O

Optechs Digital

Dear Friends,

Thank you for the kind words.

We have many more video projects in the works, some just for fun and some more informational. Next week we hope to finish a fun project shooting the interior of a Maserati with the Alpa TC and 23mm Rodenstock lens.

We would also like to show a six position stitch with the Max and the stitching adapter.

We will post them as soon as they are complete.

Best wishes to all for a great weekend.

Paul

mtomalty

Paul

I have a question about the segment in the first (?) video where you show the view of the three individual files before stitching.
Had these files had an LCC correction run on them before you presented them to us
or are they natively that free of color cast when using the degree of camera
movement you showcased?

Thanks,
Mark