The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa Videos

O

Optechs Digital

Paul

I have a question about the segment in the first (?) video where you show the view of the three individual files before stitching.
Had these files had an LCC correction run on them before you presented them to us
or are they natively that free of color cast when using the degree of camera
movement you showcased?

Thanks,
Mark
Hi Mark,

The view of the three files has no LCC correction at all. We also had a reasonable degree of rise on the lens to get less roof and more view (you can see this rise when I changed camera position for the second series of three shots). This did cause a slight vignetting in the far left and far right upper corners. We did retouch for this vignetting in the final assembled image but the three separate files are shown exactly as shot.

Best Regards,
Paul

S

Shelby Lewis

portraits?

So I have this weird idea... :D

I've been on a three year struggle whether to "mf or not mf"... and the one thing that's been bothering me is the actual cameras. I really don't feel any of them to be compelling... but that's just me. And now I'm loving what I'm getting out of the a900/zeiss combination for my hand held work in good light.

So... my question... for studio/location portrait work on a tripod, and we're talking deeper DoF fashion stuff at f/11 and smaller, has anyone used an alpa camera on people? I'm actually an architect by education and part-time vocation and am looking to do more architectural work and i LOVE the alpa cameras from a design standpoint as far as shifts/swings and simplicity... but it would be nice to tripod mount one and use it in the studio on some portraits from time to time.

Am I Crazy?

How are longer lenses on it? Say normal- to short-telephoto.

Thanks!

A

Alexander Bauer

Dear Forum Readers,

My company has created a few videos on the Alpa camera system. Since there seems to be a lot of interest in Alpa with this group I thought some of you might be interested to take a look.

I hope this is appropriate and useful to this forum.

You can see them at either:

www.youtube.com/optechsdigital
or
www.optechsdigital.com

I welcome any feedback.

Best Regards,
Paul

exactly what I needed :thumbs:

PeterA

Hi Paul

Thanks for the additional info.
That no LCC was applied is truly impressive

Mark
I get a Magenta caste shooting with Hasselblad backs or Sinar back or Phase backs the amount varies according to what you are shooting and wether it is a wide angle liek a 23/24/28 or 35.. - this is an easilly correctable fact of life but I wouldn't buy an Alpa with Schneider or Rodenstock wides unless you are prepared to properly prepare and correct for these outcomes of close lens to chip distances with wide angle lenses.

Don Libby

Paul

The one thing I noticed watching the videos is that it appeared you did not turn off the back as you took it off to change orientation. I always thought that since the back is on and the sensor is "charged" (for lack of any better term) it was better to have the back off to eliminate or reduce the chance of attraction of dust. That's why I always turn my P45+ off prior to changing the orientation on my Cambo RS-1000.

Am I missing something or just overreacting.

Don

E

ericstaud

Paul

The one thing I noticed watching the videos is that it appeared you did not turn off the back as you took it off to change orientation. I always thought that since the back is on and the sensor is "charged" (for lack of any better term) it was better to have the back off to eliminate or reduce the chance of attraction of dust. That's why I always turn my P45+ off prior to changing the orientation on my Cambo RS-1000.

Don
It's no worse an assumption that the back would have a charge that would repel dust while it's on. Maybe by turing it off you're attracting more dust.

Don Libby

It's no worse an assumption that the back would have a charge that would repel dust while it's on. Maybe by turing it off you're attracting more dust.

It probably makes equal sense either way however I figure I'll just keep doing it the way I've been.

Don

O

Optechs Digital

Paul

Don
Hi Don,

I never have worried about this and it has never been a problem for me. It is actually no different than changing lenses on this type of camera.

But, on the other hand, I don't want to be the guy that suggested for you to change your ways and then have it be a problem for you.

By the way, very nice pictures on your website. I enjoyed looking at them.

Best Regards,
Paul

Don Libby

Hi Don,

I never have worried about this and it has never been a problem for me. It is actually no different than changing lenses on this type of camera.

But, on the other hand, I don't want to be the guy that suggested for you to change your ways and then have it be a problem for you.

By the way, very nice pictures on your website. I enjoyed looking at them.

Best Regards,
Paul
Thanks Paul

Never thought of that way (same as changing lens) however I normally turn the back off as I change the lens on the RS-1000 (never thought about it when I was shooting w/the Phase or Mamiya body).

Thank you for the complement.

Guess it boils down to whatever keeps you comfortable.

Don