The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ARCA-SWISS C1 Cube - 85th Anniverisay Special

T

tetsrfun

RRS tripod is worth looking at---about two pounds lighter than the 5541LS yet closer in spec to the 5 series Gitzo than the 3 series Gitzo....
People complain of "sticker shock" when looking at the RRC TVC-33 but it is ~$60USD less expensive than a Gitzo 5541LS + safety plate.

Steve

kdphotography

RRS tripod is worth looking at---about two pounds lighter than the 5541LS yet closer in spec to the 5 series Gitzo than the 3 series Gitzo....
People complain of "sticker shock" when looking at the RRC TVC-33 but it is ~$60USD less expensive than a Gitzo 5541LS + safety plate.

Steve
And "two pounds" feels like ten pounds when on a hike with a big pack of gear. I wish the RRS was available at the time I bought my 5541LS....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay I am the only person left on this workshop that has NOT been assimilated . Joe Ramos is looking but I am not kidding i have seen more cubes this week to think the world is cubed. What happened to the ball

T

tetsrfun

And "two pounds" feels like ten pounds when on a hike with a big pack of gear. I wish the RRS was available at the time I bought my 5541LS..
I am not sure that the RRS is a great one for back-packing either. It is a large tripod...the upper tubes are ~40mm in dia and with the offset legs, the upper part is ~13cm in dia. For it's size, however, it is disconcertingly "light"....

Steve

kdphotography

And "two pounds" feels like ten pounds when on a hike with a big pack of gear. I wish the RRS was available at the time I bought my 5541LS..
I am not sure that the RRS is a great one for back-packing either. It is a large tripod...
True....but given not much choice for stability.....and even a short trek of a few miles, middle-age sets in, and two pounds ---well, you get the idea....

:)

kdphotography

Okay I am the only person left on this workshop that has NOT been assimilated . Joe Ramos is looking but I am not kidding i have seen more cubes this week to think the world is cubed. What happened to the ball
Perfect timing, Guy. You can finally get the Cube----starting with the GetDPI Special Edition Cube: The AS GetCubed. Same as the Annivervsary Edition Cube, but it comes with better instructions on how to use the clamp lever release (photocopy); Black corrugated cardboard box signed by Jack and Guy; GetCubed care and cleaning instructions, and a tube of marine lubricant...

:ROTFL:

ken

Guy Mancuso

I'm close though have a Arca P1 so I'm halfway there. Actually I like this head it is rock solid in the wind.

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
I'm fighting the temptation to buy the cube. I do like the P0 I bought. For the size and weight it is really solid. Thanks Guy for showing me your P1.

Don Libby

Perfect timing, Guy. You can finally get the Cube----starting with the GetDPI Special Edition Cube: The AS GetCubed. Same as the Annivervsary Edition Cube, but it comes with better instructions on how to use the clamp lever release (photocopy); Black corrugated cardboard box signed by Jack and Guy; GetCubed care and cleaning instructions, and a tube of marine lubricant...

ken
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

etrump

ken
Too funny!!!!

kdphotography

Great suggestions on tripods. Thank you. But, seriously, what do you recommend as a lubricant?
I haven't had the need to use any additional lubricant on my Cube---- but I'd consult with one of the Cube-masters on this, Jack Flesher:

"PPS on sand: The Cube is a very "open" design, meaning you can easily get to the inner guts without disassembly to clean it. Moreover, I lube mine with paraffin candle wax which isn't sticky. Bottom line, drop it in the sand and for the most part, you can blow it clean with your mouth. Wet sand will need canned air, and any salt water, I'd rinse it under the shower with HOT fresh water and then blow it dry, finally re-lubing with a candle." (Jack)

Sweet seranades or lullabyes optional.....

ken

Don Libby

I’ve had my Cube for slightly over a year now and after shooting it in all types of conditions (dropped on a sandy beach, snow, rain and sleet, and blowing desert sand) I can truthful say it hasn’t caused be a second worth of problems or concern. The open design is perfect for a rocket blower to get in and clean out if needed and I have yet to give it any lube or even thought it might need it.

While we’ve had long walks both sunrise and sunset through beautiful scenery I’ve also never felt the need for it to join me in the shower …

It hasn’t been coddled nor is it placed in a special leather cover (ask Ken about his). It’s a great tool and one well worth the money spent; strong, durable, and silent.

More idle thoughts - Not certain about the Cube however I’d recommend any of the following as good lubricants, Alaskan Amber, Jack Daniels (1904 Gold Medal Series), most German white wines and that goes double for any Australian wine.

Guy - I see a Cube in your future, get ready for it buddy!

Don

kdphotography

While we’ve had long walks both sunrise and sunset through beautiful scenery I’ve also never felt the need for it to join me in the shower ....

I wonder why Jack has been mysteriously silent.....

:ROTFL: :ROTFL:

Seriously, using a rocket blower or a can or compressed air is probably all you'll need---I wouldn't "blow it clean with your mouth"---- :angel:

But if my Cube needed more, *ahem*, attention, maintenance or lubrication, I really would consult Jack about the parafin candle or similar dry lube.

Guy Mancuso

Jack is still in Palm Springs shooting he stayed a extra 2 days after the workshop I went in 2 days before the workshop.

Right now he is probably just finishing up a sunrise shot is my bet.

cerett

Thanks - I like Don's "lubricants" the best. However, such a fine instrument deserves a single malt scotch.

BTW, I ordered the RRS Versa tripod. Expensive, but if it is like all their other "stuff," it should be a great marriage.

Once again, you guys are great (and very funny)! Thank you.

Martin

kdphotography

Thanks - I like Don's "lubricants" the best. However, such a fine instrument deserves a single malt scotch.

BTW, I ordered the RRS Versa tripod. Expensive, but if it is like all their other "stuff," it should be a great marriage.

Once again, you guys are great (and very funny)! Thank you.

Martin
Martin,

There really isn't much "hands-on" experience with the RRS tripod---as it is a very new offering. It'd be great if someone with a RRS tripod could do a review on their personal experiences over in the Gear forum... (*hint*)

Maybe matching up with the Cube, a little candlelight...and see what magic happens.....

:)

T

tetsrfun

There really isn't much "hands-on" experience with the RRS tripod---as it is a very new offering. It'd be great if someone with a RRS tripod could do a review on their personal experiences over in the Gear forum... (*hint*)
I have had a TVC-33 for about 6 weeks but haven't had a chance to really abuse it yet. It it typical of what one would expect from RRS, ie. metal parts machined from
Aluminum billets rather than cast Magnesium and a well thought out design. The top plate fixation system is a nice design that combines maximum security with ease of removal. At full leg extension, the large diameter tubes and offset legs give a very rigid platform. I am still surprised at the disparity of size vs. weight.

I can give a more complete "review" but not sure what people would find useful.

Steve