The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What's on your Cube?

Don Libby

I just couldn't resist Peter and Guy's suggestion...

These were all taken yesterday in the Las Cienegas National Conservation Area - an area we plan to return to for some serious work

Okay start sharing..

Don

arashm

lol
I have to say the G10 on the Cube made me laugh out loud...
talk about overkill :p
thanks for posting this!
am

Don Libby

Believe it or not I've used the G-9 and now the G10 on the Cube a couple times when I was in video mode; I figured since I was using it to show off the Cube and the Cambo it on right to let it go for a ride as well.

I'm particularly pleased with the first image and the way the G10 captured the clouds in the filter...

I know I'm not the only Cubest here and Bob has an excuse so where are the other shots? We can't be shy about what we're putting on our Cubes?

Anyone with a camera phone? :ROTFL:

Don

Don Libby

You know I only turned my back for a second! I guess it's true what they say about owning a Cube.

:D

woodyspedden

Jack is strangely silent here LOL!

Jack introduced me to the cube and I must say I now would not want to live without it. It just makes life so much easier than my older types of ball heads, good as they were! My BH-55 still occupies a place in my repertoire because it resides on my Gitzo 2541 which for me is useful when I have to hike into canyons etc at my age (72) and the Gitzo 5541 + Cube is just too much weight for the old man! Thanks a million Jack

Woody

PeterA

hey Don nice rig - it has been raining all weekend down here ( thank heavens) ...so no field shot ...anyway.:toocool:

Hy6 and 180 Schneider Xenotar on RRS 55H and Gitzo below - with Hy6 ...

the above shot with H3D11-39 HC 120 Makro and H13mm extension tube

Don Libby

Great images - keep them coming! :clap:

Peter - I like the first shot - have to say I admire the looks of a wooden tripod.

Jürgen - Great shot - glad to see someone else using the Novoflex. I used this while I was still shooting with the Phase AFD; now I use it for fine tuning focussing with the Cambo.

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack is strangely silent here LOL!

Jack introduced me to the cube and I must say I now would not want to live without it. It just makes life so much easier than my older types of ball heads, good as they were! My BH-55 still occupies a place in my repertoire because it resides on my Gitzo 2541 which for me is useful when I have to hike into canyons etc at my age (72) and the Gitzo 5541 + Cube is just too much weight for the old man! Thanks a million Jack

Woody
Sorry, but Jack thought this was a photo thread and has been too busy with family stuff the past few days to get a new pic to share! (And you are welcome Woody!)

Here is my Cube with the RRS slider plate I use, positioned for a nodal pan with the Mamiya/Phase with the 75-150 zoom:

Cheers,

Don Libby

Jack - just want to express my deep sense of gratitude for you helping me spend money of what has turned out to be an excellent piece of gear.

"Cameras may come and go but the Cube is forever" :salute:

Don

bensonga

"Cameras may come and go but the Cube is forever"

Oh man....that is so not fair! :eek:

Any quick thoughts on +/- of the Novoflex Castel-Q vs the RRS slider plate?

Not that I'm really still thinking of getting a Cube....honestly honey, I'm not.

Gary
Alaska

PeterA

Bob - wood is a better dampening device than carbon. It is also sexier looking - which is very important -:) However it weighs a bit and I wouldnt recommend it for long walks - I have ordered a 3 series Gitzo as my alternative. When I get around to building another shed down at farm to use as a proper studio - I will get myself a proper heavy weight holding system to place on a thick concrete floor -a FOBO.

I note that Alpa have dropped their prices in the latest price list published in May 09. the Max is looking excellent value now - I am giving Sinar arTec a serious consideration - it seems to provide the most elegant focus and tilt solution in the portable technical camera space.

Helicon focus combined with a decent and stable X/Y axis shift platform is a nice combination. It is a pity that Sinar didnt better design their arTec to take into account nodal point shooting as it still requires a sliding rail to achieve this and I think that Sinar's inbuilt panning head - is reduntant when used on a decent mount like the Cube - I am concerned about stability of the arRTec unit when used in conjunction with a sliding rail.

Basically ( as you know) the Cube gives much easier adjustments than a ball head - and it looks sexy. However the Riess comes with an excellent ( in stability terms) head - which I dont use..also Reiss gives you excellent brass and steel screws to adjust not only extension - but also head attachment - much better locking power than the typical toy screws from others.

Why does it all matter? Bythe time I add a MFD camera and back with anything from a fat 28 to a 300mm Leaf shuttered lens or arTec and sliding focus back mount etc - we are talking serious weight - and a serious amount of capital that you dont want tipping over ...

Don Libby

"Cameras may come and go but the Cube is forever"

Oh man....that is so not fair! :eek:

Any quick thoughts on +/- of the Novoflex Castel-Q vs the RRS slider plate?

Not that I'm really still thinking of getting a Cube....honestly honey, I'm not.

Gary
Alaska
Sorry Gary!

I thought up that little quote as I was about to close and figured I just had to share.

As to your question of difference between the RSS and Novoflex...

I used to have a RSS panning clamp that was very high quality; I would have used that had I still owned it. That said I really like the Novoflex; build quality and ease of use is excellent. At several times the cost of the RSS it had better be superior - goes back to the old saying of you get what you pay for. Just my 2¢ here but you can't go wrong with either.

Don