The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 55-110mm AF lens for 645

Henry Goh

I want to use this lens on P1 camera shooting to P30+ back. Anyone using this combo for advertising and product shoots? how is IQ ans sharpness? Any samples to share?

Thanks in advance.

lovep

I will preface my comments by saying that I sold my 55-110 weeks ago. I felt that the lens was OK--nothing breathtaking. I found my 80mm very comparable, so decided to keep use the 80mm for because it was lighter and tend to hunt far far less.'

I plan on getting the 55mm to accompany my 80 and 105-210mm. That would be all I would need!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have owned three versions of the 55-110, and can tell you there is sample to sample to variation. I like my current one, and it is good enough when stopped down to f8 or beyond that I sold my 55 prime and rarely carry my 80 unless I know I want the faster aperture... However, if you need to shoot wider than f8, I'd stick with the primes.

Henry Goh

Seems like I should avoid this lens. The hassle of finding a good copy may just be too painful.

Thanks guys for you feedback.

Last edited:

kdphotography

I don't think it will be as difficult as you think to get a good copy of this lens. And if I recall, I remember reading somewhere that the lens could be calibrated... My copy is good. Works well and is a flexible lens. Not nearly as good as any of the D series lenses.

That being said, This lens is not my favorite. It works well for me when I need to use it, but it's not a lens that I reach for---it just ends up being used because it is the only one handy, and gets the job done. (I wouldn't use it for advertising and products, though)

Maybe it is a bit harsh for me to describe it as the Denny's of Mamiya lenses. You never go out to eat at a Denny's restaurant. You just end up there because nothing else is available at the time. You eat, you're satisfied, you go back home. Done.