The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blimey, new 'Phase look-alikes' with LIVE PREVIEW!

thomas

(thomas, bist du tho_mas auf LL?)
ja, genau
I don't yet know if the Contax stores more than EXIF in the Sinar back's files' EXIF, but I presume it stores shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and various strings, since it is able to write these values to a film (!), and has a full data connection to the back. It should be verified though.
that the Contax can write it to the film has nothing to say here as the film back has the 9 contacts the camera has. The Phase backs with Contax mount have these 9 contacts as well so the aperture (shutter speed and ISO, too, of course) is stored in the EXIF.
Somewhere I read (or heard?) that there was knowlegde exchange between Phase and Contax in the construction phase of the Contax. Don't know if anything of this is true... anyway the Contax with a Phase back is a unity, it works with a digiback more or less like with a filmback (just slower... depending on the back); e.g. you set ISO at the back and the Contax metering considers the ISO (which is trivial but obviously not possible with all cameras). And no cable needed of course.

carstenw

I meant only that the camera is clearly in possession of all of this information. I didn't know that the Contax worked so well with Phase backs, but it doesn't surprise me. I am 99% sure that the Contax adapter for the Sinar back has electronics in it, so I presume that the communication is full. Anyway, verification is of course still necessary.

thomas

I am 99% sure that the Contax adapter for the Sinar back has electronics in it, so I presume that the communication is full.
if so it is probably the same as with the Phase backs.
Aperture in the EXIFs is great to use presets for lens corrections in the RAW software. I stored colour cast-, CA- and vignetting-corrections together as presets for all my Contax lenses at all apertures... it's comfortable working.

gogopix

Subscriber
FYI, the DMR was a joint venture/supplier relationship with Imacon (i.e., now Hasselblad) ... and when Hasselblad and Imacon became one, the relationship ended leaving Leica and it's owners high and dry. Probably one reason why Leica took everything they could in house on the S2.
Yes, you are right. The Leica phase relationship is newer.

Leica Camera and Phase One Form Strategic Alliance

Solms/Copenhagen/Cologne, September 22, 2008 (PHOTOKINA) - Leica Camera AG and Phase One A/S have agreed to enter into a long-term strategic alliance.

Both companies have agreed to enter into a long-term strategic alliance and are in mutual agreement on the terms of close future cooperation in the technical development and marketing of premium products for the professional photography segment. The objective is to offer photographers innovative high-end solutions that guarantee the greatest possible creative freedom and set standards in terms of performance, quality and technological maturity. Close cooperation has also been decided upon for the expansion of effective service and marketing structures......

Victor

Dale Allyn

I don't care if Graham's views are biased or not. I appreciate that he has a lot of experience with some of the Sinar products, adapters, etc. and is willing to share it. Without him doing so I would know even less about the Sinar product line.

Most of us tend to have biases – some logical for our uses, and some emotional. I think it's best to take all of the posted info as simply an expression of someone's own biases and experiences as they use certain products in their world of photography.

Plenty of salt to go around for all. :)

Paratom

Even though its nice to have fstop and exposure in the EXIF I have to say its mostly informative. I dont think exposure does any corrections based on those infos and frankly I have never felt the need for any corrections so far.

thomas

Even though its nice to have fstop and exposure in the EXIF I have to say its mostly informative. I dont think exposure does any corrections based on those infos and frankly I have never felt the need for any corrections so far.
if you don't apply any corrections you don't need the EXIFs.
Sometimes I don't apply corrections but often it's great to have them stored (instead of recreating again and again)... and then it's essential to know the aperture.
attachment 1: before/after
attachment 2: my lens settings

Last edited:
A

Alexander Bauer

why is it so hard to couple hy6 and phase one?

it would be very logical of phaseone to make an offer (solution) to F&H about hy6 and
extremely ignorant of F&H not to except it or consider it.

benefit is obvious.

PeterA

why is it so hard to couple hy6 and phase one?

it would be very logical of phaseone to make an offer (solution) to F&H about hy6 and
extremely ignorant of F&H not to except it or consider it.

benefit is obvious.

Alexander - F&H are merely licensed manufacturers of the Hy6/Afi - the ownership of the camera platform rests with Jenoptic which owns Sinar. The current problems at F&H are a negative to Sinar and Leaf - because that is the in house camera platform which these backs attach to. Of course a Sinar back can attach itslef to any camera platform via adaptor system and Leaf can attach itself via change in adaptor plates..

It must be galling to sinar and leqaf to have seen their brand new and lovely MF camera and Rollie lens production lines - fail because of issues particular to F&H. This is costing market share and credibility. For Leaf it may have cost even more..we dont know (yet)

All I can say is that it woudl be a shame to lose the Hy6 platform because even though a lot of stuff doesnt exist ( yet) a lot of stuff does exist and works beautifully. In particular the Rollie mount lenses from Scheider and Zeiss.

The F&H situation may imporove and then F&H can get back to making teh Hy6 and Rollie lenses and accessories. OR F&H may be a basket case - we dont know.

However - we do know that IF jenoptic wishes to continue investing in MFD camera system - they coudl always find another manufacturer if B&H was not viable.

Finding another manufacturer is easier said than donre though. It will all take a long time to sort out if Jenoptic was forced to find an alternative manufacturer. Maybe too much time..no one knows and teh current economic envirionment isnt helping.

Graham Mitchell

Finding another manufacturer is easier said than donre though. It will all take a long time to sort out if Jenoptic was forced to find an alternative manufacturer. Maybe too much time..no one knows and teh current economic envirionment isnt helping.
One option might be for someone to buy the workshop, machinery, staff from F&H and continue production with minimum disruption (assuming F&H is free to do so under German insolvency law).

PeterA

True Graham - however before thi scan be done an insolvency /bankruptcy pocedure has to be worked through. I suspect that IF Jenoptic was interested in dong thi s- then thats why we havent heard anything. Administrators and Liquidators have to do they right thing by creditors and maximise teh valure of any liquidation. IF these people believed that there was genuine interest in a this or that asset - then that woudl merely make teh cost of buying all that stuff higher - for the buyers.

Paratom

you never know what happens but several companies would have an interest that the Hy6-platform survives, for example Leaf, Sinar, Schneider, Zeiss
Thats why I personally believe that there will be found a solution. You never know but thats my feeling.

The one thing I dont like is that it takes so long and so quiet. I bet there are many potential Hy6 customers who wait or even decide for alternative products until there is a clear and reliable announcement of the strategy.

carstenw

Without the Franke&Heidecke piece of the puzzle, I suppose the strategy becomes difficult, and I would guess that it is not allowed to publish news of what is going on in F&H until the insolvency court case is over... I believe that the hearing is on July 1st.

fotografz

Well, with Hasselblad slowly phasing out a 6X6 camera (the 503CW probably still only exists because of the CFV digital back), it would be a shame to loose the only one left ... the Hy6.

If I had it to do all over, I'd go with a Hy6 (AFi) and the 54 meg Leaf pano sensor that revolves right inside the back. But with that kind of complex workings I'd have to feel very confident about the company and that it'd be around to fix it. I'd want a longer warranty also.

All a pipe dream for me, I couldn't afford all that stuff AND the mondo expensive Rollei AF lenses. Along with the retail price drops came plummeting resale values for existing gear so you can't recover enough of your investment to re-invest it in the newer technology.

Love the one you're with.

PeterA

You would love it Marc. i also believe that the Sinar rotating back is just as good a system - less complicated and just as elegant in use. I never thought I'd use the rotation as much as I do. The two outstanding features of the Hy6 / Afi in my book are the magnificent waist level finder ( better than HC ) and AE still works using WLF. Second feature I love is the rotating back.

Quite a few fiddly camera buttons switches and dials- sometimes a tad finicky - but always retro sexy to look at. A great camera to hand hold if you are shooting studio with strobe or just walking around in fat light.

The Sinar software Exposure doesnt have teh smick 'look' of C1 or Phocus - but it delivers outstanding IQ from the Sinar files in elegant and simple fashion.

A very very under rated working system - I wonder how many forum members shoot Hy6/Afi here?

David K

Workshop Member
A very very under rated working system - I wonder how many forum members shoot Hy6/Afi here?
Me too and am quite happy with both the kit and the service I've needed. The eXposure software could be improved but but it does the conversions nicely. The camera firmware could also use an update, but these are minor nits and don't affect the overall experience. My only real regret is that I didn't buy mine at today's distressed prices but I suspect I'm not alone in that regard.