The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Blimey, new 'Phase look-alikes' with LIVE PREVIEW!

Graham Mitchell

Hmm, you can get a Sinar e54LV for nearly half the price of the M22. The Sinar has a 3 year warranty, live view, adapter options, built-in solid state memory (3GB I think), 1s per frame v 1.5s for the M22. That's what I call a no-brainer :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Here I thought the 9 micron sensor was no longer being made. Sounds more like a rebirth /rebadge.

Graham Mitchell

a no-brainer is a product of a healthy company.
The e54LV might be a no-brainer price-wise.
Jenoptik makes the Sinar backs (and owns Sinar). Last I heard they were making an annual profit in the region of $1bn - actually the most healthy of all MFDB makers.

Nick-T

I think you'll find this is Phase's way of clearing "old" stock of backs at very sharp pricing without hurting their brand.
Nick-T

Paratom

thomas - Sometimes I feel like we are more speculating about worst case scenarios of MF-back and camera manufacturers vs. discussing the equipment and photography. In one way it might include some interesting and important information but mostly it becomes a lot of negative speculation.
I go further and my theory is that this pessimistic way of thinking and speculating and talking things bad is one of the reasons why the economical and financial crisis has come so fast and massive. I wonder why many people are so pessimistic those days. It almost seems that its more fun to discuss the bad things vs discussing the good things. Like rather discussing the posibility a back manufacturer might get some financial problems vs discussing the output of the back, rather discussing Leica M8 flaws vs the great IQ this little camera delivers, etc etc. I wonder why.

tashley

Subscriber Member
To me, ...."2.2" LCDs featuring a Live Preview mode" implies that the preview is available on the LCD, which if these are merely the re-badged items they appear to be clearly isn't the case... anyone know any more?

Don Libby

I think the live-preview on the lcd is wishful thinking on our part. I'd think that if Phase One had this capability we'd certainly hear about it and not on a Mamiya badged back. Of course I've been wrong before - just ask my wife...

Don

etrump

According to Doug at Capture Integration the live preview is the same as the phase backs.

Not LCD live preview but tethered preview on the computer screen.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
To me, ...."2.2" LCDs featuring a Live Preview mode" implies that the preview is available on the LCD, which if these are merely the re-badged items they appear to be clearly isn't the case... anyone know any more?
The phrasing was likely the result of a press release written not-in-English and then translated into English.

These backs do NOT have on-LCD Live Preview (authoritative and absolutely certain statement).

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

dfarkas

Workshop Member
OR re-badged P20+, P25+ and P30+ for the EU market?

:D,
Actually, they are re-badged P21+, P25+, and P30+ for the global market, including the USA. I got a MAC Group dealer memo a few days ago telling me of the "new" Mamiya backs with the next line reading, "yes, they are Phase backs."

Not sure of USA pricing yet, but they are going to be sold through any and all Mamiya digital dealers who want them.

Obviously missing in the lineup are P45+ and new P40+ and P65+. This is an interesting approach by Mamiya and Phase. First the Mamiya 645AFDIII got re-badged as the PhaseOne 645AFD, then the lenses became Phase One, now it's going to other way with Phase One backs getting the Mamiya moniker.

When I get pricing, I'll post info.

As an interesting footnote, I just received another MAC Group dealer memo just a few minutes ago about refurb/demo DL28 and DL33 kits (with Leaf Aptus backs) for $9,995 and $12,995 respectively. So, this Mamiya/Leaf arrangement might be coming to an end (unsurprisingly).

David

Steve Hendrix

Not sure of USA pricing yet, but they are going to be sold through any and all Mamiya digital dealers who want them.

Not necessarily.

Also, I would say that Mac Group is jumping the gun a bit. There is much that has not been finalized.

Steve Hendrix/Phase One

gogopix

Subscriber
Jenoptik makes the Sinar backs (and owns Sinar). Last I heard they were making an annual profit in the region of $1bn - actually the most healthy of all MFDB makers.
$1Bn profit would have been nice, but
it wasn't so.
actually DID make some money about $15million. Turnover in 2008 was under $1Bn ($3/4 B)
2009 will be an interesting year to watch for all.

Victor

Steve Hendrix

$1Bn profit would have been nice, but
it wasn't so.
actually DID make some money about $15million. Turnover in 2008 was under $1Bn ($3/4 B)
2009 will be an interesting year to watch for all.

Victor

Is this for the Sinar division or Jenoptik overall?

Steve Hendrix
Phase One

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sorry but your talking Jenopik as a whole company , Sinar is a very small piece of it. Jenoptik has it's hands in many many things. Break the Sinar part off of it and it maybe a different story altogether. Could actually be running at a loss.

Graham Mitchell

Sorry but your talking Jenopik as a whole company , Sinar is a very small piece of it. Jenoptik has it's hands in many many things. Break the Sinar part off of it and it maybe a different story altogether. Could actually be running at a loss.
I was correcting the inference that Sinar backs were made by a company on the verge of bankruptcy. This is far from the truth. And yes of course they are involved in many other activities but that's the whole point - it's a diverse and healthy company making these backs.