The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ExpoDisc vs LCC for lens calibration and white balance

bdp

interessting. With Phase the Contax doesn't show the exposure mode.
I have some questions about Sinar backs that I have no clue how to answer:

- What if I buy a Sinar back, but Sinar goes out of business. Are there places which repair such backs?

- Does anyone have experience with insurance claims on a broken back with no support

- How often do backs fail?

I am leaning towards buying the back in any case, but I would like to have clearly in my mind what the consequences are if it fails. The situation would be quite similar to buying a Kodak 645 Pro, I think.
You should probably email Sinar and ask them directly. We could only speculate. It would be nice to think that in a worst case scenario like Jenoptik choosing to stop production of Sinar gear and close that company that one of Jenoptik's other divisions that manufactures digital imaging like medical or aerospace could service the back, but maybe that is wishful thinking.

Having said that I think there is little that can go wrong with a single shot back because there are no moving parts in it as far as I know. It would become an issue if there was an internal fan that failed or if you scratched the glass or something else that seems minor but would render the back unusable until someone fixed it.

Ben

thomas

- What if I buy a Sinar back, but Sinar goes out of business. Are there places which repair such backs?
I don't know but I assume within the 3 years of warranty any solution would be offered by Sinar. Too, in such a worst case scenario a tech support would be established for some years (as always in these cases). After that... hard to say. But the 3 year warranty is really not bad here. And none can promise that one of the others player is still in game in 3 years...

Don Libby

I have the ExpoDisc from a couple years ago and still carry it but stopped using it and have been using the C1 disk. This thread has me thinking of removing the ExpoDisc it from my bag and selling it as I've been very happy with the C1 disk.

Don

PeterA

Stuart : Part number 551.43.097 white Shading Diffusor from Sinar - fits over many ( I dont have all so cant say ) lenses in Rollie guise - as well as over view camera lenses ..

bigger brighter better OEM gear.

Pete