The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Best Lens - shallow dof & creamy Bokeh??

A

apneaimages

Last days i have see some photos from a friend with a Canon 1,2 and i just have think that this cant be true
This Bokeh, soft & creamy that have make any photo, and i say any , to a pice of art I havent see before.

So you guys that have shoot and play with all tose toys that are existing out there.... wich lenses you think can come close to a canon 1,2 and i am talking 35 & MF format.

carstenw

Hasselblad 110mm f/2 F/FE. Also the Leica 80mm f/1.4 Summilux-R. Both are awesome, and tied as my favorite portrait lenses with the 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-M ASPH on the M8 (it is too short on FF).

Graham Mitchell

There are plenty of lenses in 35mm which can achieve this look, and in large format too. Medium format is actually the worst format for shallow DOF, which is a pity. I started a poll about this on LL and the majority of users wanted faster glass for MF: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=34950

Some 35mm lenses you could check out: Rokkor 58mm f1.2, OM 55 f1.2 (or basically any other f1.2 lens), all 80-90 lenses at 2.8 or faster should give nice results.

Was the Canon an 85MM L lens?

A

apneaimages

Yes Graham it was a Canon EF 85/1.2L II USM. Now i have not tested the Hasselblad HC 100 2,2 but i am not sure that the bokeh is so creamy as in canon 1.2

Last edited:

eleanorbrown

I have the HC Hasselblad 100 2.2 and it is really wonderful, incredible bokeh and super super sharp. I also like the Canon 35mm 1.4. Haven't seen the Canon 85 1.2 but have heard great things about it from friends who have this lens. Eleanor

Yes Graham it was a Canon EF 85/1.2L II USM. Now i have not tested the Hasselblad HC 100 2,2 but i am not sure that the bokeh is so creamy as in canon 1.2

robmac

Mamiya M645 80/1.9 (app. $200) or Hassy 110/2 (app. $1200+ depending on version). Have owned and used both on my 1Ds2 and while the Hassy is great, my pref by a healthy margin is the Mamy. Nice and sharp at 1.9, creamy bokeh, great color and very, very sharp starting a stop or so down.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
the 150 2.8 has perhaps the shallowest DoF and very creamy Bokeh, as does the older 200/2.8 manual focus lens. And the Zeiss 110/2 has a very nice look too. Regardless, those are probably the best choices currently in the MF world for shallow, creamy Bokeh.

M

msglueck

I actually like the Schneider 2.8/180mm. But never compared it to the 2/110 as I don't have it. :)

Paratom

I would second the 110/2.0 Zeiss and the 180/2.8 Schneider Rollei lenses.
In Nikon world I find the 135/2.0dc to have a very nice rendering and bokeh.
Leica maybe the 75lux but I find it to draw a bit "dull" wide open.
The Sigma 50/1.4 also shows a very nice bokeh.

J

Jbee

The Nkon Noct 1.2 58mm is my favourite lens for 35mm when Bokeh and DOF counts.

Jari