The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Testing the 120mm lens on the WDS/WRS

Don Libby

Today has been the first day I've been able to really put the 120mm lens to a good test. The first image was shot from the same hilltop I had shot from a couple days ago using the 72mm and the second is the 100% crop of the church. Again, this image was taken several miles away from the church.

I also used the groundglass extensively today to frame the image as well as filter placement. The one thing I've figured out today is I need more pockets to hold the back and groundglass. We may not have a sliding back for the WDS or WRS however if you plan it right it is very doable.

The other images are single capture images with the last image a 3-shot panorama.

Bottom line is I'd recommend this lens to those wanting a longer lens for their WDS or WRS.

Don

Totally dig the Black/White one, Don. And spinning off your own tangent... how do you folks handle your back when off camera? Just put it back in your case? Have a quickdraw Phase Holster? What about a second adapter plate JB Welded to your tripod? Since I mostly shoot interiors, I'll often just remove the back (adapter plate and all) and lay it on a nearby table *gasp*

Don Libby

Totally dig the Black/White one, Don. And spinning off your own tangent... how do you folks handle your back when off camera? Just put it back in your case? Have a quickdraw Phase Holster? What about a second adapter plate JB Welded to your tripod? Since I mostly shoot interiors, I'll often just remove the back (adapter plate and all) and lay it on a nearby table *gasp*

Chris

I always shoot wearing cargo pants (has large sq pockets, one on each leg above the knee). I used to also use a photographer's vest when I was shooting 35mm but slowly got away from it. (I'm rethinking the vest)

What I found myself doing today in the field was placing the back on one pocket and the adapter in another. I start out with the groundglass attached and filters on my belt. I'd work the image up the way I want it, position and filter, then quickly and carefully remove the groundglass placing that in an empty pocket, move to the pocket with the adapter and snap that back in place then go for the pocket with the back, remove the cover and snap that in place. I've made a very strong suggestion to Cambo via Chris at Capture Integration that we need a cover of some sort that will protect the back attached to the adapter instead of having to separate them thus adding more time for the rear of the lens to be open to the elements and in general be safer for the digital back.

I've found that I'm blowing the back off several times while I'm in the enclosed area of the Jeep, sometimes because it needed it and most of the times because I'm anal.

I do like working with the groundglass as it opens up the use of filters. I can see what effect I'm having with either a single or stacking them for an affect.

The b&w was shot with the Cokin filter (P-007 (89B)) system using various step-rings.

This slows the capture way down even more than before however in certain circumstances I feel its well worthwhile.

Don

thomas

how do you folks handle your back when off camera? Just put it back in your case?
that is what I do, yes. It's a bit of a PITA factor... you mount the groundglass (on its own interface), compose, remove it, mount the back interface, mount the back (or first mount the back on the interface and then mount it all together on the camera). That's okay as long as you don't change anything anymore. But if you need or want to demount the back to mount the groundglass again it's getting inconvenient.
Just too much handling steps and sometimes I'd prefer a small sliding back.

S

smei_ch

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, that's totally what I want, for Arca 6x9... Fortunately my Kapture Group Sliding back is on it's way and that will alleviate some issues...
I am very anxious to hear from you how that arrangement works, so please be sure to post a thorough review!

Hmm... got an email that the slider has arrived at Pro Gear. Un/fortunately I'm shooting tomorrow and then off to Island Holiday this weekend. The review will have to await my inevitable sobriety. However, I did use one of these units for about 6 months before resigning from HB and can only compliment their construction.

Clawery

Hmm... got an email that the slider has arrived at Pro Gear. Un/fortunately I'm shooting tomorrow and then off to Island Holiday this weekend. The review will have to await my inevitable sobriety. However, I did use one of these units for about 6 months before resigning from HB and can only compliment their construction.

The Kapture Group sliding adapter is much more rigid and offers a precision focusing over the Arca-Swiss Rotaslide. We helped Chris when he was at HB and he will attest to the KG adapters performance.

Chris Lawery(e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up