The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase to buy Leaf from Kodak.....

thomas

The e75 is in its second generation, with larger LCD and improved high ISO performance. I don't know why you think the eMotion series is discontinued. Sinar certainly never made such a statement.
I didnt't say that they are discontinued - I said they "are discontinued AFAIK. At least they are not the latest generation of backs from the respective company." So the AFAIK part might be wrong but the latest back (the eSprit) from Sinar is NOT made for ALL camera platforms. The latest backs of Phase (and Leaf) ARE made for ALL camera platforms. That simple.

D

David A

I've got a Bronica ETRSi, in the Leaf literature I can put one of their new backs onto it with an adapter plate, go into the software and let it know what the camera is, hook it up to the flash sync socket and use it. Phase One doesn’t mention Bronica at all even though it was a very popular system. Can a new Phase One back be fitted onto the back of a Bronica? Be it with an adapter plate.

David

Graham Mitchell

The latest backs of Phase (and Leaf) ARE made for ALL camera platforms. That simple.
No, there is no Hy6 mount for Phase, for example, and no Rollei 6008 mount for Leaf, and you really can't compare a fixed back to an adapter system. The adapter system is undeniably much more open and flexible, with no drawbacks. I don't understand why you would bother denying the obvious :)

thomas

No, there is no Hy6 mount for Phase, for example,
certainly NOT beacuse Phase refused to make a Hy6 mount!!
and no Rollei 6008 mount for Leaf
there's also no H3 mount of Leaf and Phase... bit nitpicking here?

and you really can't compare a fixed back to an adapter system. The adapter system is undeniably much more open and flexible, with no drawbacks.
That may be the case but now, again, we don't talk about the latest backs. Were is the Contax adapter for the eSprit?
Sinar is obviously NOT commited to support all platforms (stupid idea if you are such a small player in the market....). Hassleblad is already a closed system.
But Leaf and Phase support all platforms (...) to this day even with their newest products.
I don't understand why you would bother denying the obvious ...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Phase One doesn’t mention Bronica at all even though it was a very popular system. Can a new Phase One back be fitted onto the back of a Bronica? Be it with an adapter plate.
A Phase back can be used with literally any system which contains 1) a physical mount for Hassy H, Hassy V, Rollei 6008, Contax, or Mamiya AND 2) a sync port*. For instance we have a fair number of Fuji 680 users.

Our latest backs (40+ and 65+ don't require a wakeup cable) which makes using such bodies much easier to use. So in fact, in the last 12 months we have made it easier/better to use a Phase back with platforms other than the Phase One Body.

*The only exception I am aware of is the Hasselblad H3 and H2F. Hasselblad changed their firmware (from the H2 firmware) to prevent those bodies from firing unless a Hasselblad Film Back or Digital Back is attached.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Don Libby

Doug

Regarding the P40 and P65 not needing a wakeup cable...

Would you please describe how that works? In my head (which can be a very scary place at times) this makes me think all I'd need is a shutter release. Okay maybe too simple as you'd still need something going to the back to tell it to take the image - right? So the one-shot cable I'm currently using would still be required however I wouldn't have the 5 sec window? Am I at least partially correct?

Don

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Don,

The wake up cable is required for the P45+ because of the way Phase has the Kodak sensor "clear" in preparation for the next frame. A digital sensor has a residual energy memory, so it needs to be flushed prior to each new frame to provide a clear base for the next frame. When the back is mounted to a compatible camera, the shutter press accomplishes that clear (why there is a lag with MF capture) through onboard electronics used for AF and metering, but when on a non-dedicated camera is used the wake up is needed. The Dalsa sensors clear differently and are activated by the main shutter release across the shutter's flash synch port (but still clearing before capture and with similar lag) so don't need a dedicated clearing cycle.

Cheers,

D

David A

So my ETRSi will probably need a wake up cable, but this is the thing that bugs me, Leaf backs need to know what camera they are attached to, do Phase One backs? Been as Bronica is not mentioned anywhere how will it know what it is attached to? The plate would be a V plate so would it be pretending to be a Hasselblad?

Now the real head scratching question, Why? Why do these backs need to know what they are attached to.

David

carstenw

Were is the Contax adapter for the eSprit?
Good question, but I guess the answer is that Sinar is a small company and they have to allot their time carefully. I expect that a Contax mount would be added if there was sufficient request.

I have just bought a Sinar e54LV, and am working my way through the ins and outs of the system, development, exposure, and so on. Nothing seems trivial, but I am making steady progress.

Thomas, I chose the Sinar in large part because I have both Hasselblad and Contax cameras. For an extra €600 or something I can use it on both. I just have to unscrew three screws, and swap adapters. For people who use systems with more than one mount this is a *huge* advantage. I don't have the means to own several backs right now, so the Sinar is simply the only game in town, apart from the very expensive CF backs.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Now the real head scratching question, Why? Why do these backs need to know what they are attached to.
So they can time the clearing and capture appropriately for the camera/shutter system in question...

D

David A

So if the back doesn't know what it is attached to because it's not listed then can it still be used on something like the Bronica?

carstenw

If it has a sync cable, I guess it can even be attached to nothing :) The Sinar Hasselblad adapter has no electronics, and just uses a sync cable, I am pretty sure. The back does have a setting for each camera though. I guess if the signal delay of the Bronica is similar to one of the other cameras, you could use it in that mode. Something to be researched for sure.

Frank Doorhof

Hi,
My first post here and I thought let's respond in this thread :D

I'm a leaf photographer.
I chose leaf because in my personal opinion it was the best choice for what I do (fashion/beauty/glamour), the support and coorperation I got from the leaf guys has been nothing short of amazing and something other companies can take an example off.

When the whole issue started I held my breath because I was afraid that Leaf would dissapear, especially due to the economical crisis.
With Phase one jumping in and taking over Leaf I think the photographers that shoot with leaf are getting a very sweet deal, including all new photographers and Phase one photographers.

Ok the AFi is probably end of story although I would not rule that out.
But if you want a good WLF camera there's always the amazing RZ67ProII although it doesn't have AF and handhelding the camera is "a task".

It would be much worse if Leaf would just stop excisting.
I know some of the people personal and I think they can add a lot to phase One, and I think phase one can add a lot to leaf.
In the future MAYBE both brands will melt together or maybe Leaf will always be a phase one brand within Phase one, time will tell.

For me the future is clear, I'm looking forward to the new Phase One camera, I own the AFD/III and although I like the camera it's been a bit of a problem camera for me, but I don't want to go into that here.....

At the moment the only worrying thing is IF phase one goes down we loose Mamiya, Leaf and Phase one......
But let's not think about that and let's see it as, with Phase One owning Mamiya and Leaf we are ensured of a good platform to keep building.
Also upgrading from Mamiya to Phase one or from Phase one to Leaf will be easier because it will be handled with the same distribution channels in the end.

So I see a lot of negative responses but I think phase one did a great job and I'm looking forward to see what the future brings....

jlm

Workshop Member
welcome frank. i hope to see you posting images here. you have shown some dazzlers on LL for sure

Frank Doorhof

If you want I can always post some images in the future of course, although I'm cutting down a bit on posting images on too many fora :D

yaya

So they can time the clearing and capture appropriately for the camera/shutter system in question...
And so that they can enable/ disable the contact boards as necessary (for communicating with the camera) and other mechanisms (e.g. the triggering pin on 500 series can be ignored or not etc.)

As Jack suggests, each camera has specific "timing" figures so the back comes equipped with a "reference table" to give the correct tolerances for each shutter speed; This means that someone at the factory has spent a couple of hours with a back on the specific camera and created that specific reference table. (one of my first assignments, believe it or not, almost 9 yrs ago, was to create those tables for the DigiFlex I...).

Oh and a big welcome to Frank it's good to see you here!

Yair

thomas

I expect that a Contax mount would be added if there was sufficient request.
I think that in the climate of the current market they simply refused to offer one. An adapter is not a big deal...
Do you think they would make one for Mamiya as well, as they formerly did for the eMotion?

I have just bought a Sinar e54LV, and am working my way through the ins and outs of the system, development, exposure, and so on. Nothing seems trivial, but I am making steady progress.
Congratulations! I wish you a lot of fun and great captures with your new system. And I'm sure you will get both.

Thomas, I chose the Sinar in large part because I have both Hasselblad and Contax cameras. For an extra €600 or something I can use it on both.
yes, true! I definitely see the uspide of an adapter system! But Sinar seems to discontinue this strategy with their latest products. They did the same with the arTech in the beginning (and when I ask for Contax mount at Photokina they told me that they are not planing to offer one). Now, some month later... you can attach Phase backs on the arTech. Maybe some day it will be the same with the eSprit... at the latest when they start fire sale. But by now this is simply not the case. That's all what I was referring to.
The opposite with Phase: they continue to produce even their newest products for (nearly) all platforms. My dealer never ask me if I am interessted in a Phase camera. He ask me if I am interessted in a P65+ for the Contax/Cambo ...