The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Railway photography, anyone?

simonclivehughes

Bill,

That first one looks almost like it's a picture of someone's amazing Thomas the Tank Engine model train set. The graininess of it (dare we say analog noise?), suits it admirably. Lovely framing on the diagonal. Very nice pictures! I'm enjoying this thread.

Ciao,

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Bill,

That first one looks almost like it's a picture of someone's amazing Thomas the Tank Engine model train set. The graininess of it (dare we say analog noise?), suits it admirably. Lovely framing on the diagonal. Very nice pictures! I'm enjoying this thread.

Ciao,
Yes, it was Agfachrome CT18 if I recall - lovely pastel colours but rather grainy! The graininess was exaggerated by over-sharpening accidentally - but I decided I rather liked it that way.

Your first shot has really caught the motion - I can almost feel the slipstream of it passing!

Bill

fotografz

Well, I'm back from a lousy vacation where they were replacing the road in front of the quaint B&B we stayed at ... 7AM start every freaking morning and dust all day. Grrrrr.

But finding a couple of my Greenfield Village train shots to show Bill put a smile back on my face :)

I've got a whole slew of them around here someplace ... but these are all I could dig up quickly ... some XPan shots scanned on an older scanner with weak D-Max. I need to find these negs and re-scan them on the Imacon 949. (3 of the shots were in the working roundhouse, 2 in the museum, and one of their working train).

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Well, I'm back from a lousy vacation where they were replacing the road in front of the quaint B&B we stayed at ... 7AM start every freaking morning and dust all day. Grrrrr.

But finding a couple of my Greenfield Village train shots to show Bill put a smile back on my face :)

I've got a whole slew of them around here someplace ... but these are all I could dig up quickly ... some XPan shots scanned on an older scanner with weak D-Max. I need to find these negs and re-scan them on the Imacon 949. (3 of the shots were in the working roundhouse, 2 in the museum, and one of their working train).
Well, I'm sorry you lost your beauty sleep, but I'm surprised you were not up already at that hour....the light is really good at 5.30 am!

Your XPan shots have me salivating....the dMax looks fine on-screen. Thanks for posting them.

Best,
Bill

Geoff

Some shots from a railroad yard in Savannah, Georgia, home of the Georgia Central (I think). M8, and probably 28 2.8.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Here are a few of mine, all straight out of C1 and having some fun with 70's style effects:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Interesting effect Jack. I think I was with you on some of these locations. Winslow, AZ and the town near Yosemite. St John's maybe?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You were with me at ALL of these locations! :ROTFL: Winslow AZ for the first two, and Jamestown CA for the last four.