The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cube test versus Manfrotto geared 410

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I wonder how you can tell if the screw clamp is tight - I'm guessing you have to reach out and twist it to see if it is tight, which takes precious seconds and also takes your attention away from the subject at hand - and then how often would you need to do this?
Tim,

No offense, but you're tilting at windmills. The RRS screw clamp is a Quick-Turn affair, so a quarter turn open, reorient your camera, quarter twist and locked. You know it's tight because it wont turn in any further... In use i't's far faster than the Arca lever as you don't have the lock pin to fuss with.

As for the RRS lever, it may be a few 100ths of a second faster, but I have seen a few cameras dropped because of that clamp opening unexpectedly --- and that was because it has no lock pin to hold it shut... One of them was mine, and fortunately it got caught by the hand-strap so disaster was averted. The RRS lever clamp is also NOT adjustable. Works fine with RRS plates, but mount any other brand and it either won't clamp shut or won't lock tight and no way to fix that in the field. At least with the Arca clamp, you can adjust it tighter or looser. Those two reasons together are why I dislike the RRS lever clamp.

PS note on the Arca lever clamp: While I generally still prefer the RRS screw clamp, the Arca lever is okay since I only need it to hold my rail. However, I have modified it to function better for my uses. If you take it apart -- yes, unscrew it until the lever comes off -- you can file a flat at the 90 degree mid opening point; a diamond fingernail file works great and you want to take it down about half to a full mm. This allows the jaws of the clamp to open a bit more -- meaning you can tighten the lock further on the shut position and now allow the rail to slide, but not come out of the clamp at the half-way open point. Then the secondary opening position, and you can pop the rail right out the top. In use, this may be slightly more convenient than replacing it with RRS screw, as long as you use the a sliding rail of some sort with a screw clamp mounted.

PPS on sand: The Cube is a very "open" design, meaning you can easily get to the inner guts without disassembly to clean it. Moreover, I lube mine with paraffin candle wax which isn't sticky. Bottom line, drop it in the sand and for the most part, you can blow it clean with your mouth. Wet sand will need canned air, and any salt water, I'd rinse it under the shower with HOT fresh water and then blow it dry, finally re-lubing with a candle.

Cheers,

kdphotography

.... I'm a lever man and that really isn't my question here since I don't plan to use the slower knob types - it is about the AS lever clamp and now also the bubble levels.
I really think it's a matter of preference, Tim. I like the RRS knob-type better (I'm a screw-man?), but I think it's just because that's what I've always had...

The A/S lever clamp works well on my Cube, but I still prefer the knob. The tolerances are quite tight, and doesn't allow me to simply "drop" my RRS rail into the clamp---it slides in and then the lever secures it tight. I'm used to the RRS knob releases being quite wide, and allows me to simply place my rig on top and tighten down the knob. Rather minor really. Since the RRS rail will stay on top of my Cube, the A/S lever is actually better because it is lower profile. I still have my "RRS knob" (which I prefer) because it is on the RRS rail itself.

Bubble levels seem fine on my Cube---won't know for sure for a couple days (taking a short trip). The Cube is exceedingly fast to "level" and I think will be fantastic to use in conjunction with the built-in level of the P65+....

kdphotography

....PS note on the Arca lever clamp: While I generally still prefer the RRS screw clamp, the Arca lever is okay since I only need it to hold my rail. However, I have modified it to function better for my uses. If you take it apart -- yes, unscrew it until the lever comes off -- you can file a flat at the 90 degree mid opening point; a diamond fingernail file works great and you want to take it down about half to a full mm. This allows the jaws of the clamp to open a bit more -- meaning you can tighten the lock further on the shut position and now allow the rail to slide, but not come out of the clamp at the half-way open point. Then the secondary opening position, and you can pop the rail right out the top. In use, this may be slightly more convenient than replacing it with RRS screw, as long as you use the a sliding rail of some sort with a screw clamp mounted.

PPS on sand: The Cube is a very "open" design, meaning you can easily get to the inner guts without disassembly to clean it. Moreover, I lube mine with paraffin candle wax which isn't sticky. Bottom line, drop it in the sand and for the most part, you can blow it clean with your mouth. Wet sand will need canned air, and any salt water, I'd rinse it under the shower with HOT fresh water and then blow it dry, finally re-lubing with a candle.

Cheers,
Just caught this. You are the man, Jack!

Don Libby

I personally like using my Arca lever clamp as I know that when I close it it's tight and locked in place. The only time I've ever had a problem was the fault of the tripod and not the Cube. The holding clamp for the tripod base had somehow come loose and I ended up dumping the Cube on the sand (the tripod issue has since been fixed).

Like Jack I always use my Novaflex rail on the Cube as this allows me a little flexibility in focusing and have never had any concerns there either.

Just curious but what are you shooting where a one time equipment check of less than a couple seconds would hinder your shot? That question asked I will readily admit that the Cube is not the answer for all types of shooting as it can be slow and if shooting wildlife I'd switch back to my Acratech.

Don

Tim Ernst

Thanks for the info Jack. I don't know what tilting at windmills means, but it doesn't matter. As I noted I have used a bunch of other brand plates with my RRS lever clamps with no issues at all (guess I've been lucky all these years), including Kirk and Wimberly. And as also noted I could care less about the lever vs. knob discussion - that is something you guys keep talking about in reference to me but I have no interest in. I don't like knobs and won't ever use them and much prefer a lever since it is so much faster and more secure for me - end of that discussion from my point of view. My question here was only about the quality of the AS clamp (and the bubble levels that don't seem to work), that's all, and it does not sound like it is a very good one. Too bad to spend all that money and then have to start replacing things right away! Oh well, 'tis the state of "fine craftsmanship" these days I guess. Thanks for all of your thoughts...

Don Libby

Jack - I'm ROTFLMAO with the thought of taking the Cube into the shower with me then afterwards enjoying a snack by candle light......

Thanks for the tip anyway!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
My question here was only about the quality of the AS clamp (and the bubble levels that don't seem to work), that's all, and it does not sound like it is a very good one. Too bad to spend all that money and then have to start replacing things right away! Oh well, 'tis the state of "fine craftsmanship" these days I guess. Thanks for all of your thoughts...
Tim,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion on clamps versus levers, so no argument from me -- I say use whatever works best for you! :)

Bubbles: My Cube's bubbles are dead on zero and very easy to see and use, so I am not sure what you are referring to about the bubbles not working. Is it that you can't see them well enough or that they are not accurate???

Clamp quality: My Arca clamp locks TIGHT, is of very high quality and is adjustable. Yes I've improved it for my uses, but that doesn't alter the fact it is better out of the box solution than the RRS lever clamp simply because it locks IMO.

PS: If you get an Arca brand Arca plate (they set the standard) and lock it up in your RRS Lever clamp and you'll see what I mean in a nano-second :D

Cheers,

kdphotography

.... My question here was only about the quality of the AS clamp
Tim, I think the quality of the A/S clamp is fine. It might be nice to have a "choice" of lever or knob, but I don't think A/S is exactly known to be a real "responsive" company.... The main point is, at least you are able to "customize" the Cube the way you like it....

Eh, I don't know what tilting at windmills means either....

:)

kdphotography

Ken - I would have thought a lawyer would have picked up on this!

And now back to our normal programming :D
You're right--- I should have picked up on this, but my mind was still a bit messed up with thoughts of you and the Cube taking a shower together....

:ROTFL:

p.s. Really, really, really liking the Cube right now.... I think it's time to sell my Cube "alternative"---the leveling base and RRS PCL-1 clamp directly mounted on the tripod.

Don Libby

You're right--- I should have picked up on this, but my mind was still a bit messed up with thoughts of you and the Cube taking a shower together....

:ROTFL:

p.s. Really, really, really liking the Cube right now.... I think it's time to sell my Cube "alternative"---the leveling base and RRS PCL-1 clamp directly mounted on the tripod.
Leave my Cube alone! Besides it's Jacks fault for putting the idea in my head......

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

My Cube arrived today, same time as the RRS L clamp for the Phamiya.

Man, I'm in love - though not so deeply that I'm going to shower with it, much less sleep with it.

I find the clamp and the bubble levels just fine. A huge improvement over the Acratech I've been using.

I hereby forgive all the posters on this forum who caused me to drop about 20 big ones. You were right. Assimilation IS worth it.

My first shot with the Cube/P45+ this evening - with a level horizon, no less!
View attachment 19668

Last edited:

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Thanks, guys. I spent most of today shooting with THE CUBE and am getting accustomed to it now. Interestingly, I think it will improve my photography, not only technically but aesthetically too. (Didn't know that I could spell that, did you?). The movements are so precise that I'm (a) working more slowly and contemplatively and (b) framing far more precisely.

The only downside of THE CUBE is that it's no good for action photography - I shoot a lot of birds and wildlife and my Acratech and my Sony will continue to do that best.

I might as well weld THE CUBE to my Phamiya.....

Bill

Don Libby

I think you've summed the pros and cons of working with the Cube very nicely. Great for when you have a somewhat static shot such as product or landscape however if faced with fast action quick changing then you need to rely on a ballhead like RRS, Kirk or Acratech.

Congratulations again and welcome to the Fraternal Order of the Cube (FOC) :ROTFL:

Don