The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cube test versus Manfrotto geared 410

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
YUCK! Here in beef country, that is a sin! :ROTFL: (When I win, mine will be steakhouse RARE! But if you win, you can have yours any way you want it ;) )

thomas

YUCK! Here in beef country, that is a sin! :ROTFL: (When I win, mine will be steakhouse RARE! But if you win, you can have yours any way you want it ;) )
:)) "well done" for me is what Italians call "ben cotto" which is probably between medium and well done. Must still be soft and mellow but not bloody :)
I prepare my filet rosted shortly in the cube, err... pan and than put it at not more than 120° in the stove for 20min or so (together with some carrots and onions and sometimes garlic). Like no other!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Still sounds overcooked, especially for a filet :ROTFL: FWIW, no steakhouse in the states will guarantee any steak cooked over medium-rare :D

tashley

Subscriber Member
...snip...

Not one gives me the pleasure to use that THE CUBE does and I'm sure that none of them is steadier or more rigid.
I think that's a really important point: I consistently find that equipment that gives me tactile pleasure to use give me better results. My M8 may be flawed but it feels so good that it gives me a wildly disporoportionate number of keepers. Same with my Olympus Pen. My 5DII is neutral - I know it's good but it feels dull, so it represents the 'average success rate' for me.

I dislike the Phamiya so much that after nearly a year of ownership I can count my real keepers on my fingers and toes, which is pathetic of me. But put the P45+ on a WRS and all that on a cube and whoah, things start to tick.

So many artists and writers had favourite paintbrushes, papers and pens - and I think this tactile relationship is very important in helping to unlock creativity.

My 2 cents!

But I'm still not sleeping or showering with it....
Bill
We only have your word for that.

thomas

I think that's a really important point (...)
to some extend I find this is reasonable but at the same time I find this is overloaded with misplaced prejudice about the "value" of things. Honestly, when people say, that a certain camera or shooting technique "slow" them down or let them relax or feel fine I don't fully understand it. I am concentrated and focussed on what I see in exactly the same way using my old Polaroid or my newest piece of gear. What turns me on, or slows me down, is what I "see" and what I "imagine" to create with my "cadrage". It's maybe the crux of photography that it is so much based on techinque and gear.
I love photography... but very, very often I drive and walk around (hours, days) and do not take a single picture. Because the clouds are not like I would like them to have. Because there is something in the forground I don't like. Or anything else. But I memorize the places and return again and again and again... until the motif is like I want it. I'd never take out the camera of my case and set it up just because I like to shoot (something) or just because I want to touch it. When I do I appreciate that I like the materials and the haptic. But actually it's totally peripheral.
Hope it's somehow reasonable explained...

PeterA

I like to play with pretty things and I avoid ugly things in life.

Design and style is very important to me. I fnd that I dont use cameras that aren't pretty - this is why I love my Alpa and my M8 more than any other system - and because I like to hold these things I tend to use them.

When one pays a lot of money for discretionary expenditure items - one should not only get basic utility from them - but also a tactile pleasure that appeals to one's senses.

However I guess I am different to many photographers in that the outcome is not very important to me - more the journey. I have on disc over 5000 shots I have made over the years which I keep for record and diary reasons - but on my walls I only have about 20 prints printed large which I am happy to display in that fashion.

It must be very frustrating to Phase One who are design focussed to have to hang their backs off a very very ordinary piece of camera equipment in Mamiya. Hasselblad should hang their heads in shame as well regarding design the ergonomics are ok - but the colour and look of their camera - is very ugly. I believe that peopel love their V systems - because the camera has a beautiful look and feel about it.

I am not ashamed to say that the S2's look will draw many people to buy it - its ergonomics are immediately appealing but so is teh colour , shape and impression - I say this while never haviong seen or held one. Good design POPs off the page.

I take the same approach to all things in my life - clothes, cars, pens, furniture, electronic goods, stationary, bags etc etc etc..

I think a lot of the reson why the Americn auto industry has failed so badly - is that the American designed car is extremely ugly in appearnace - this preparedness to deliver ugly cars is of course alo reflected in their preparedness to deliver inefficient engineering - crap basically.

The sad thing is that good design is not necessarilly any more expensive to manufacture and more often than not cheaper.

One coudl save themselves a lot of trouble by insisting that they limit purchases to quality in all senses of the word.

Arca understand good design and pretty things - hence I bought the Cube.

QUOTE=thomas;123444]to some extend I find this is reasonable but at the same time I find this is overloaded with misplaced prejudice about the "value" of things. Honestly, when people say, that a certain camera or shooting technique "slow" them down or let them relax or feel fine I don't fully understand it. I am concentrated and focussed on what I see in exactly the same way using my old Polaroid or my newest piece of gear. What turns me on, or slows me down, is what I "see" and what I "imagine" to create with my "cadrage". It's maybe the crux of photography that it is so much based on techinque and gear.
I love photography... but very, very often I drive and walk around (hours, days) and do not take a single picture. Because the clouds are not like I would like them to have. Because there is something in the forground I don't like. Or anything else. But I memorize the places and return again and again and again... until the motif is like I want it. I'd never take out the camera of my case and set it up just because I like to shoot (something) or just because I want to touch it. When I do I appreciate that I like the materials and the haptic. But actually it's totally peripheral.
Hope it's somehow reasonable explained...[/QUOTE]

tashley

Subscriber Member
I like to play with pretty things and I avoid ugly things in life.......
Arca understand good design and pretty things - hence I bought the Cube.
My museum of pretty things:

A Cube
A Riva Aquarama
An M8
A Ferrari California
Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico
Winona Ryder
Old style British phone boxes and London buses
The Brooklyn Bridge
The Guitar on the front of Brothers in Arms
A closed Macbook Air

....to be continued

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

:) Bill, that's fine! Question is (initially brought up by "etrump") is there anything else that works for the WRS if you don't want or don't have to spend the money? The cube is certainly not the answer to all questions and the very best solution for all purposes (but I know what you are going to reply :rolleyes: )
Well, I have no experience of the WRS so my comments would have no value. (Even though I'm always tempted to spout off on subjects about which I have no personal experience!).

I'm using the Phamiya P45+, typically with the 75-150 zoom, and THE CUBE is definitely better than my various ball heads. Try attaching a laser pointer to your lens and watch it's spot quiver as the shutter releases (MU, of course).

I also use THE CUBE with the Sony a900 and 300 mm f2.8 with the TC1.4X and again it is noticeably steadier.

Having said that, I admit that much of that "quiver" may come after the shutter has closed and thus makes no difference to the sharpness of the image. But I reckon the less quiver the better, whenever it occurs.

Much of the joy of THE CUBE comes from the micro-precision achievable in framing your shot.

And damn, it looks sharp too!

Bill

thomas

err... I also like nicely designed and high-quality things and prefer them.
But that has nothing to do with successful imaging ...

tashley

Subscriber Member
err... I also like nicely designed and high-quality things and prefer them.
But that has nothing to do with successful imaging ...
With respect I think that is both personal and unscientific! I could easily make a hypothesis that those areas of the brain that are responsible for creative endeavour are stimulated by interaction with objects and processes that themselves give aesthetic pleasure.

In fact, I believe that to be the case and, not having a behavioural laboratory and an MRI scanner to hand, I'd further say that even the placebo effect of my belief probably has a significant effect.

I bet if you were to hand the proposition to an evolutionary behaviourist they could offer an explanation as to what selective advantages such a trait might confer!

Yours musingly,

Tim

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well one thing is for certain -- if you believe something is better/higher-quality, you will likely use it more, and by using it more will gain facility in extracting the maximum potential from it. The converse is also true...

etrump

the Manfrotto plate is also rubber (if somewhat larger) and that the 410 I have both looks and feels very rigid indeed.
I would have to agree Tim. The 3/8 screw in combination with the rubber on the top of the 410 plate allows and extremely rigid fit. I compared it to the BH-55 with clamp and couldn't tell any difference.

I would imaging the Cube has a similar rigidity or we would have heard that by now.

One thing is for sure, now that I have used a geared head I couldn't imagine slumming back to the ball head.

Now that I am thinking about it, I suppose if I was on a multi-day hike in the wilderness I would change my attitude after the first couple of days. :ROTFL: I spent a few days with Guy Tal in Escalante and one of his tripods with an acratech head felt like a feather compared to my gitzo and BH-55. After 15-20 miles of hiking, which didn't seem to bother him but was killing me, I would have welcomed a lighter kit.

kdphotography

Thomas:

-- I am willing to bet you a steak dinner that I can level my camera on my Cube to dead zero faster than you can do it with your Cambo leveling head ;)
This is a skewed bet that I wouldn't take, Thomas! The Cube is disgustingly fast and easy to level---and 2-3 seconds max to level the camera body is no exaggeration.

I can't recall why, but I think I already owe Jack a steak dinner.....maybe it was for making him eat Pigs in a Blanket at the Wagon Wheel when Capture Integration came to Carmel....

:ROTFL:

D

David A

"And how would sir like his Steak?"
"Just cut the horns off, wipe it's a** and keep it away from the salad I don't want it grazing"
:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Charred Medium Rare . I like a little blood after the kill. Heck i may take this bet with my Gitzo head and eye-balling it. LOL

T

tetsrfun

A Ferrari California
The waiting list is out to 2013 and it's a 2+2. Buy a used Fiorano, instead.

Steve

Don Libby

Just finished a 8oz bloody rare filet and I didn't even have a bet going on!

The way I figure is that there will always be those that for what ever the reason will never succumb to the wiles of the Cube and this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

:D

tashley

Subscriber Member
Just finished a 8oz bloody rare filet and I didn't even have a bet going on!

The way I figure is that there will always be those that for what ever the reason will never succumb to the wiles of the Cube and this isn't necessarily a bad thing.

:D
They're called Vestal Virgins and every society needs them...
:thumbup:

tashley

Subscriber Member

A Ferrari California
The waiting list is out to 2013 and it's a 2+2. Buy a used Fiorano, instead.

Steve
But it's a museum... of pretty things... and as curator I have a responsibility to acquire the best works.

I'd rather hoped others would take up the idea and add exhibits. C'mon guys, what are yours?

For reference my original list was:

A Cube
A Riva Aquarama
An M8
A Ferrari California
Moonrise, Hernandez, New Mexico
Winona Ryder
Old style British phone boxes and London buses
The Brooklyn Bridge
The Guitar on the front of Brothers in Arms
A closed Macbook Air