The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cube test versus Manfrotto geared 410

Don Libby

That is not the question.
The cube is beyond doubt by far the best allrounder head.
So what changed you mind?

It seems that you are the only one here who is constantly sniping at the Cube - too heavy, overkill to name a few.

No one has said other alternatives aren't out there. Likewise no one else has been so negative about its usage.

No one that I know of has ever said they thought other heads were BS. You yourself raise that question in thread #148.

So again what changed your mind?

Have you actually tried the head? Is your opinion based on the actual usage or is it based on opinions from reading others comments. Is it the price that puts you off?

I have much more respect of a persons opinion where it's based on fact rather conjecture or theory. Nowhere have you said you've ever tried using the Cube yet you consistently belittle the use of it.

I've seen this behavior before in other products where the poster has no intimate experience yet consistently voices an opinion/attitude that is contrary to those who actually have the experience.

The Cube isn't for everyone and no has said it is. If you can find a reasonable alternative that suites your shooting needs good for you.

Good luck in your endeavors what ever and wherever they take you

This thread has gone so far off of where Tim originally begun; a simple test between heads.

thomas

So what changed you mind?
? nothing

It seems that you are the only one here who is constantly sniping at the Cube - too heavy, overkill to name a few.
no Don, if any I am snipping against those who take all opportunities to post that they use the cube. Someone bought a Manfrotto 410 and the answer is (analogous): "Great. But why didn't you buy the cube?". Bravo. Frustrating maybe for the respective person, don't you think so?
If I don't need the head to point the camera but just need it to level the camera, than the cube is "overkill", of course. Why should I pay for features I'd never use? All my heads incl. accessories together exceed the costs of the cube. I could sell them and buy a cube. Would I? No. I prefer to pick from my outfit what ever I need in a certain situation and therefore it's almost always lighter than the "all-in-one" solution in that particular situation. But that's just me. And that's exactly what I said, nothing more.
Finally: I feel it's the other way around - if someone says that there might be situations or constallations where you don't take advantage of the cube (especially if there is a dedicated leveling base for a certain camera) ... than that's obviously blasphemy. So it's maybe more your gear fixation that leads to the impression I wouldn't value the cube.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think I am spreading the swine flu around the forum. LOL

There is no way I did not have some form of it in NY and I am still sick. 12 people total now have had the same symptoms since I did. Okay don't touch the Apple and S key or you will get it too.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

carstenw

Guys, I have a feeling this is a misunderstanding, possibly based on language differences. I find myself being misunderstood more often here in Germany than was the case in Canada, even though my German is quite good. I think that we can all agree that there are many good heads out there, and that the Cube is one of the best ones. Let's stop there before everyone gets too angry. Is it the weather or what?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
summer, time for a cold beer and some shade.
We should open a virtual biergarten

Guy Mancuso

Guys, I have a feeling this is a misunderstanding, possibly based on language differences. I find myself being misunderstood more often here in Germany than was the case in Canada, even though my German is quite good. I think that we can all agree that there are many good heads out there, and that the Cube is one of the best ones. Let's stop there before everyone gets too angry. Is it the weather or what?
I agree there have been times myself when language and culture differences do not always agree with what you think is the correct statement. Maybe a good time to remind everyone that diversity is king and this forum benefits greatly from it as do the members. Let's always remember that and maybe when you see a comment that does not agree with what you know than maybe a simply PM to explain it helps with just a note saying your not sure you understand. We may not always get along or agree on everything and that certainly would be boring but instead of assuming the worst , maybe ask first is a good policy. Hell i know I am NOT politically correct and my spelling is horrendous but people overlook it because they know I mean the right thing. Let's think about that and if in doubt just ask.

Terry

summer, time for a cold beer and some shade.
We should open a virtual biergarten
You can mount your beir stein on the cube and use the tilting mechanism to drink from it. :D

Also, as I said in a different post....the cube s**ks for birding....which we did a bit of in Iceland and I was at a severe disadvantage versus one of my shooting partners using a fast 500mm lens with teleconverter on a Wimberley. :eek:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Terry, I would spill my beer all over my shirt!
Yup, for birding (the flying kind) and long lenses, something like the Wimberley is the way to go.
probably beer too, just need to find the right plate
-bob

Last edited:

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hell i know I am NOT politically correct and my spelling is horrendous but people overlook it because they know I mean the right thing. Let's think about that and if in doubt just ask.
Guy, you can spell 'horrendous' - what more could you ask for?
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

That's what i say . Heck if i get even close i win the brass ring. LOL

BTW hopefully some of those tips and tricks on the Portrait thread will help. That is really what this forum is all about at the end of the day is sharing and learning.

carstenw

Thomas, I'll drink a Paulaner in Berlin. Blasphemy for the north, I know, but there aren't many beers in the world as good as Paulaner (and Erdinger, and Schöfferhofer, and Duckstein, and ...). What will everyone else drink?

Actually, I am going to start with a scotch, since there is no beer in the house, and it is a bit late to go out. I've got a nice '91 Distiller's Edition Dalwhinnie here... Right about now Jack et al will start up about Martinis or some such :)

I have to say, that in spite of the occasional quarrels, myself included, this is currently the coziest photo forum I know of, and I thoroughly appreciate everyone here.

Cheers everyone.