The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New 39mp CFV back

Uaiomex

Good picture Marc. With an L bracket it might even look good and be more stable. I have a 500Cm and that same viewfinder.
Thanks
Eduardo

Yep, I have that finder ... in terms of build quality, they don't make 'em like that anymore : -)

Unfortunately, it doesn't work on the 203FE because it lacks the cut out slot at the top for the 200 viewfinder display like the RMFx one does (shown below on a 203FE).

I looked at possibly modifying it using the mount from another finder, but nothing lines up, and the mount is integrated into the finder rather than being a separate simple mount.

Last edited:

Uaiomex

Amen brother! :clap::clap::clap:

V stuff is without a doubt the best freaking photo investment I have ever made. I can use all the V lenses on just about every camera I own, as well as use all the 500 series lenses fully functional on the H cameras with focus confirmation.

Victor Hasselblad was a genius ... the immortal V lives on ... and on ... and on ... WAHOOOOOO !

:thumbs:

fotografz

Good picture Marc. With an L bracket it might even look good and be more stable. I have a 500Cm and that same viewfinder.
Thanks
Eduardo
An L bracket might work on a 500 camera ... but I cannot see how it would on a 200. The winder is on one side and the controls are on the other side.

PSon

I applaud Hasselblad for making the CFV39 since the 203FE and 205FCC are two of my all time favorite cameras. By having the built in camera focal plane shutter and the option of leaf shutter lens, this is a complete system that even only the Leica S2 is about to deliver. By having the CFV39, the 200 series cameras now have even more option from other manufacturers accessories. I only wish that Hasselblad would have treat the V system the way they treat the H system. This back should have been available long ago when it was introduced to the H system.

Best Regards,
-Son

Now I will go out and repurchase some of my children.

Hmmm, I thought I had answered this question before ... must have forgot to hit send ... LOL!

The solution would be one more for tripod work I think. Using one of the aux finders that allow use of the camera on it's side like shown below:

Mark has the RMfx viewfinder attached to his camera. This viewfinder was typically used with the Arc/Flex body or SWC and a focus screen adapter.:)

Paul Claesson
Hasselblad USA

fotografz

You know what I find interesting about all this is a lingering suspicion that there was one of those magical things happening with the CFV/16 meg square back that may or may not translate with the higher meg back. You know, fat pixels and all that.

I have always been pleasantly perplexed by the performance of the CFV and Zeiss lenses as demonstrated continually by the images produced and shown here and other sites. The images always seem better than the back should logically produce. That wonderful "Shipyard" series is an example.

I have to yank the H3D-II/39 back off the view camera, put it back on the H3D-II camera and try some shots with the Zeiss 40 IF, crop to a square and see how it compares to the same shot with the same lens using the CFV-II/16 back.

Hmmmm ??????

Rolo

I have to yank the H3D-II/39 back off the view camera, put it back on the H3D-II camera and try some shots with the Zeiss 40 IF, crop to a square and see how it compares to the same shot with the same lens using the CFV-II/16 back.
Hmmmm ??????
That will be very interesting. Look forward to it. May save some here $'00000's' :ROTFL:

ps wanted to use that Smilie for a long time.

etrigan63

This is an interesting development for the V-System. I was poking around KEH and a 503CW kit with winder can be picked up for around $2K. I find this combo very appealing.

Question: does the 503CW have built-in metering? Could one of the Hassy guys shoot me an e-mail?

carstenw

No, only some of the 200-series cameras have built-in metering. You can add a PME45 or some other metering prism though.

PeterA

You know what I find interesting about all this is a lingering suspicion that there was one of those magical things happening with the CFV/16 meg square back that may or may not translate with the higher meg back. You know, fat pixels and all that.

I have always been pleasantly perplexed by the performance of the CFV and Zeiss lenses as demonstrated continually by the images produced and shown here and other sites. The images always seem better than the back should logically produce. That wonderful "Shipyard" series is an example.

Hmmmm ??????
Just another example I guess of people focussing on megapixels :talk028: and companies giving the people what they want?:D
btw I am thinking M8 21/28/35/50/75 for my holidays - it all fits in teh same size as one MFDbody and an 80 -:) gotta love the little Leica dont ya?

T

tetsrfun

i'm curious how a rectangular format would feel in a camera whose ergonomics are based on square...i'll have to play around with that, flipping my blad on it's side...grrr!
I just tried it with a 503CWD + PME-45 +Winder....Turning the camera for a "portrait" orientation is more ergonomic than turning a DSLR, IMO. It feels very natural.

Steve

fotografz

i'm curious how a rectangular format would feel in a camera whose ergonomics are based on square...i'll have to play around with that, flipping my blad on it's side...grrr!
I just tried it with a 503CWD + PME-45 +Winder....Turning the camera for a "portrait" orientation is more ergonomic than turning a DSLR, IMO. It feels very natural.

Steve
Well, I just tried the same thing with the 203FE and it's winder and you are right! :thumbs: It's a non-issue. :clap: Very easy and natural to use this way ... who whould have thunk it?

T

tetsrfun

Very easy and natural to use this way ... who whould have thunk it?
Amazing, being able to convert a 50+ year old design to a "modern digital camera"

With the winder attached, the rotation of the wrist to create "portrait" or "landscape"
feels just how a camera should be.

Steve

fotografz

Yesterday I did a couple of quick shots using the H3D-II/39 camera body with a Zeiss 40 IF mounted via the CF adapter in order to answer my own question about IQ ... it is excellent and the wide 40 is spectacular... same sort of qualities as the 16 meg with more resolution for enlargements. All the subjects I shot were boooooring but I will try to use it at a wedding I have tomorrow to see how it works in real world shooting conditions. .

Personally, for just 500 series lenses I have no need for this new back since I can use all of them on the 31 and 39 meg H cameras with the bonus of focus confirmation in the viewfinder ... it's the focal plane shutter 203FE and fast aperture FE lenses that now has me intrigued.

Now thanks to Steve, I see that the portrait orientation is a non issue for me since I rarely use the WL finder anyway. I understand that others do prefer the WL and that still can be used in landscape. No biggie for me.