The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar back processing

PeterA

It is a bit harsh to say that Exposure is a 'joke'. All these raw processors will do an at the margin better job of processing the native files better than a generic process from Adobe. My primary use of Exposure is to get white balance correct as well as use the white shade tools to remove any colour caste issue when using back on Alpa. We must remember that the rpimary purpose of the manufacturers software was to process the raw files and to provide tethered shooting capability and control over camera functionality.

C1 is clearly the best most feature rich raw processor and image enhancement tool out there ( for teh Phase One files and supported DNG formats) - but even here (really) I prefer to use basic raw processing / white balance and colour treatment - then export to CS4.

The other thing to consider is storage /archiving files through whole workflow - and here is where individual differences in preferences dictate workflow.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hi Peter,

that's the trouble with the internet. I did not mean to come across harsh at all, oppinionated for sure, but that's about it.

I would dispute the notion that alledged proprietary knowlegde, and come on, seriously, I mean they all buy the chips, it is not Kodak or Dalsa software you use, gives an advantage by using their "software attempts" ( not meant in a harsh way ;) ) - Guess I live too long in Ireland, they call a spade a spade here. -

bdp

I shoot mostly tethered in the studio. For that reason I use eXposure exclusively, only using Photoshop if I need to. That's why I like to have as many features in eXposure as possible, so that my workflow is efficient and I don't need to keep changing apps just to do something like changing the hue of the red channel a bit. It seems most people here shoot to card and then process later. In that case I would probably use ACR/LR too, because of the extra controls available. But I like to be able to process as I shoot, so I need good software that works tethered and processes well, so that when clients are looking over my shoulder the image looks good. If I kept telling them "don't worry, I'll fix it up in Lightroom or Photoshop later" or I kept having to switch apps and tweak settings I would look less professional.

Ben

carstenw

What CF cards do people use? I have heard from Graham among others that some Sandisk cards don't work well with the e54, and I have just a 4GB Extreme III and an 8GB Ultra II card.

With my Ultra II card I now have the problem that the photos look correct in eXposure, but when I import them to DNG, I get a mix of old photos and garbage. Does anyone know how to rescue these photos?

carstenw

Ah, there the thread is! I misread and was searching here. I remember it now. I have added my voice to the fray there.

Tom, be careful, apparently the problem affects e54 and e75 the same. Do not format your CF card in the back; it may not work right.

Interestingly, I was able to use Disk Utility to make a disk image of the affected card, and the disk image has exactly the same problem, i.e. the images look fine in eXposure, but upon DNG converting them, they are corrupted, or just old images from the card.

Georg Baumann

Subscriber Member
Hey Carsten,

to post this on fora is fine, but this does not make it a case!

I would recommend to contact Feuerthalen and makes this a casenumber to be followed up.

They sure are very friendly chaps there and a pleasure to talk to!

I think, you would want to make sure that Sinar understands and identifies this as a problem with a possible solution, and that you need this to be eliminated.

What I mean by that is simply a reassurance for you that this problem will be solved whatever it takes, also, the time frame is obviusly an issue, as this can not go on for ever. You are loosing tourist shots at the moment, but just think they would be of value and created under pressure and time limitations....

Best of Luck with that, hope they will find a solution for you asap!

P.S. As for the rescue of your photos, the only chance, if at all, is to send the CF to Sinar. They might be able to get them back if you are lucky.

P.P.S. Formatting the entire back might be temporary solution, however, it is not a real solution, as it was just a matter of time until it happened again here. You might want to try this, but in any case check with Sinar first!

carstenw

Don't worry, Georg, I do intend to take this to Sinar. I just have to get home first. For now, I will shoot on the back's internal memory, and check that the transfers work fine before deleting.

PeterA

Interesting Carsten - I shall check out my back tomorrow - as I haev alwys used teh internal drive - I cant report on CF card issues..or not..

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I know DavidK has solved this problem for his Sinar back, so hopefully he will report in with the proper formatting and storage procedure for you guys.

David K

Workshop Member
Jack,
The only CF card issues I've had were self-induced, i.e. I took one of my CF cards out of my Nikon D3 and used it in the e75LV without formatting it first. The images on that card were corrupted coming into eXposure. I had no success in trying to recover them with the SanDisk Rescue Pro software. Having said that, I checked with Sinar about compatible CF cards and got this emailed response:

1. The eMotion series supports only PIO Mode , currently PIO 4 which is 16MB/s.

2. The Sinarback eSprit supports UDMA 4 which is 66 MB/s.

FWIW, I capture my images to CF card and not to internal storage unless I am shooting tethered in the Studio in which event they are converted to DNG and stored on my laptop. Having seen Capture One used for tethered shooting by an expert digital tech I think it's fair to say that eXposure is not in the same ballpark. Nonetheless, for my limited use of eXposure to do conversions to DNG only, it works just fine. Frankly, I was happier with the very limited features of the Brumbaer tools and consider it a shame that it's no longer being developed or supported.

carstenw

For anyone wishing to check if their back has this problem, format the CF card in the back, shoot to internal memory, and then use "Move Max." to move all images to the card. Once done, connect the card to the computer, open up eXposure, and look at the images. I presume that the embedded thumbnails are being used, and the images should look fine. Now drag the images from the contact sheet to a harddrive, and once done, open them.

For me, I saw some images from the previous day, and some totally scrambled images, with chunks from previous days' images, false colours, banding, and more.

thomas

Carsten, did you also try to format the card in the computer (FAT)?
Or try both: format the card in the computer and once again in the back.

David K

Workshop Member
For anyone wishing to check if their back has this problem, format the CF card in the back, shoot to internal memory, and then use "Move Max." to move all images to the card. Once done, connect the card to the computer, open up eXposure, and look at the images. I presume that the embedded thumbnails are being used, and the images should look fine. Now drag the images from the contact sheet to a harddrive, and once done, open them.

For me, I saw some images from the previous day, and some totally scrambled images, with chunks from previous days' images, false colours, banding, and more.
I've never had this problem. Which version of the firmware are you using?

carstenw

I am using the latest, 5.09. Someone on LL reported, and I suspect that he was using an earlier version, maybe 5.07.

The point is not if you have ever seen it, because different work habits might avoid it. The point is whether it *can* happen on your camera. I would recommend to test for it.