The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Plumb Crazy or Level Headed?

Ok.... ok sorry for the puns... I'm looking for a really nice bubble level to carry in my LF kit. I don't trust the little vials Arca glues onto their cameras or my P65+'s Virtual Horizon. Have you guys got any good resources for me?

I think basically I would want a machined block maybe 3" x 1.5" x .5 " with perpendicular bubble levels. I sent Grimes an email about fabricating one but never heard back.

Thanks for any advice...

-C

Arca 6x9 F Compact, though my M Line 2 is on it's way... I like the idea of a machined block because I can reference it against the front flange of the lens and the digi-back mount....

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The two 65+ virtual horizons I have worked with have been extremely accurate. If yours appears not to be then it's probably because the world is not always level!

The tolerance for what is considered zero is about half a degree. If you rotate until the first indication of level (call that point A), then continue until level is no longer indicated (call that point B) and then return to about half way between point A and point B you will be more accurate than you are likely to find the world to be.

Do you suppose there will be a P65+ GPS plugin that locates your position in the world and recalibrates the virtual horizon for the known innaccuracies of the tradesmen in that region?

stephengilbert

How about this: "Machined Aluminum— Has precision glass vials, clear fluid, and two 1/8" dia. mounting holes (fasteners not included). Size is 2 1/4" Lg. x 2" Wd. x 1/2 Ht. Color is green."

Unfortunately, it's $70. Available from McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#). Search for "bubble levels."

I can understand your gripe. I've got an ALPA with its VF bullseye level, and an Acratech leveling base and RRS panning clamp, each of which has its own bullseye. When I saw that the ALPA didn't agree with the other two, I checked with a good carpenter's level, and found the ALPA was off. Not very much, but as I recall the VF sells for something like $1500.