The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Shake Up: SINAR

Paratom

Definitely eXposure, but remember these were DNG conversions. So Adobe Lightroom (not exactly known for its out-of-the-box color capability) did the demosaicing.

Whoever was messing up the color (and I honestly don't know who's issue it was), the color correction required was non-trivial.

But even the colors from eXposure in the green-yellow area were not right; while adjusting the color wasn't hard (just time-consuming), the whole 'unfinished file' from the back was really the problem. It was incredibly time-consuming to deal with large numbers of images (due to crashes), multiple folders (since only one can be selected at a time).

The post-shoot workflow was one of my top issues with the platform--it was certainly doable, but could have been so much less time-consuming--that is what frustrated me, personally.

The good news is that this issue (software) was very fixable, and subsequent backs like the eSprit 65 were beginning to deliver finished .DNGs. This is why I say that a bit more time to mature would have really helped the platform.

-Brad
Brad,
I asked since I only have used exposure and not Brumbär and havent felt a problem in the green/yellow area - but I have not done any comparisons /measurements with color charts-just say what I see/like.

I also found that the best thing is to use exposure not only for converting the raw files to dng but also for converting the dng to tif/jpg. I tried c1 and adobe but at least the standard dng profiles provide by those didnt work that great for me, plus some moire-problems appeared.

bdp

The software team has been promising a moire tool in future versions, along with other things, but I wonder if there is some low level 'automatic' moire reduction going on. I have very rarely seen moire with my eMotion 75 when processing with eXposure.

Ben

Paratom

is there an auto correction for moire in eXposure? can you diasable it if you'd like to?
frankly I dont know - I dont see any softening or anything bad goin on but some (neg) effects which appear in c1 or adobe dont appear in exposure when working with sinar files.

thomas

The software team has been promising a moire tool in future versions, along with other things, but I wonder if there is some low level 'automatic' moire reduction going on. I have very rarely seen moire with my eMotion 75 when processing with eXposure.
Thanks.
I shoot the P45 that has 6.8 microns and therefore should be a bit less prone to moire as the eM75. I have always moire in the areas you would expect to find some. As moire correction is one of the most destructive things you can do with an image I never correct moire in Capture One as it would affect the entire image. I always correct only the affected areas on layers in Photoshop and leave the rest of the image without correction. (In addition the moire correction in C1 doesn't work very well IMHO.)
I don't like it when software does something "hidden" and you can't change it (the same applies to C1 but here not regarding moire).

thomas

frankly I dont know - I dont see any softening or anything bad goin on but some (neg) effects which appear in c1 or adobe dont appear in exposure when working with sinar files.
no wonder - only the manufacturers software can read all RAW data. I would always use the manufacturers RAW processor for MFDB files. Too, DNG support in C1 is somewhat noisy... IMHO. But C1 is very strong if it supports the files with respective settings and profiles... which is not the case with DNG files.
And ACR... is a "RAW? Yes we can!" plugin. Actually ACR supports nothing. All cameras are treated the same way. There are no useful "profiles", everything is a bit washy, the midtones are very pronounced and images are a bit coarse... strange tool.

Last edited: