The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss RM3D

carstenw

It looks neat, but the focusing thing has me stumped. They go to all sorts of lengths to build in a super-fine focusing mechanism, and add an ultra-accurate electronic focusing aid, but you cannot see where you point it? Was there some mechanism to transfer or verify the correct focus, or do you have to dial it in yourself with just a number to go by? The special viewfinder can help you visualize your framing if you shift, with various lenses, and it can tilt, but how do you verify the focus in the spots you are interested in?

It seems more advanced technologically than the arTec, but I am not sure that it gets better results in the end, due to these issues.

thomas

or do you have to dial it in yourself with just a number to go by?
a laser distometer does the trick here. If the indication of the focussing mechanism is fine enough (seems so) you just set the accurate distance on the scale. The indications of lenses with helical mount as the arTec, Alpas and Cambos use are simply to rough for this kind of focus setting (at least if you shoot wide open).
I find this a very, very interessting approach!
Am curious about the price as well... I think this camera is not a bargain.

Don Libby

Here's my off the wall assessment - looks like we're getting closer to having a technical camera with close to the same capably of a DSLR. The viewfinder/electronic focusing aid maybe just a couple short steps away. If this were to happen then what do we have?

I watched the video twice. After my first viewing I thought neat, I like it. The second viewing left me with doubts. Too many gadgets to loose in the field. While I originally like the idea of the shutter release I agree with Michael - it's only a matter of time before it's lost. Was the second release a standard option or was it sent as a just in case?

Anyone have any idea of the cost?

Just my idle thoughts...

Don

thomas

oh... I am not quite sure but I think I've read you have to send them your back so that they can adjust the lenses to your back (think you'd have to do it just the first time and they store the data).
This would be a show stopper - I'd order from Arca Swiss, no problem, but I'd never send something to Arca, especially not my DBs.
Can someone confirm this or am I confused here?

Mike M

That new focusing device might be perfect for certain situations. For example, if a photographer were to shoot a fashion model in front of a plain cove then the new focusing device might be able to accurately lock on to the model since there wouldn't be any other distractions within the frame. I really like the idea of having multiple focusing methods and then choosing the correct one for the situation....I'm currently in the market for a tech camera and would be very interested to learn more about this new Arca

MFnLF

I personally is a fan of Arca, and have used Arca LF cameras and other gears for many years. I watched the video last night, and IMHO, it sounds too complicated for a MF technical camera. I am not discouraging any innovations, however, I would rather have a simple Alpa or a DSLR with electronic AF. One complaint about Arca Swiss is, as of today, they have not set up an official website yet. No wonder all of us are trying to figure out how to use these new toys ... :talk028:

stephengilbert

These prices were listed here last summer (http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41992&postcount=12):

ARCA-SWISS R-Line:
No. 017069 ARCA-SWISS Rm3d black Camera body incl. Groundglass screen and Fresnel Lens $5,530
No. 017045 ARCA-SWISS Rl3d black Camera body incl. Groundglass screen and Fresnel Lens $6,510
No. 161008 Vario Finder (Rm3d and Rl3d) Vario Finder 120° (24-210mm) $1,330
E-Module Electronic leveling Aid and distance metering - pricing TBA (approx. $1500)

Rodenstock / Linos APO-Sironar Digital HR / R -bayonet
4.5/28mm Copal - incl. lensboard, mask, focus drum and calibration - $6,252
4.5/28mm Copal Press - incl. lensboard, mask, focus drum and calibration - $6,296
4/35mm Copal - incl. lensboard, mask, focus drum and calibration - $3,702
4/35mm Copal Press - incl. lensboard, mask, focus drum and calibration - $3,745
4/60mm Copal - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $3,221
4/60mm Copal Press - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $3,263
4/100mm Copal - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $3,136
4/100mm Copal Press - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $3,179
5.6/180mm Copal - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $3,934
5.6/180mm Copal Press - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $4,103
** Copal Press shutters not recommended when used with flash equipment

Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar / R -bayonet
5.6/24mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, mask, focus drum and calibration - $3,531
5.6/35mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, mask, focus drum and calibration - $3,709
2.8/28mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, mask, focus drum and calibration - $3,179
5.6/47mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $2,673
4.0/60mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $2,212
5.6/72mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $2,776
4.0/80mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $2,225
5.6/80mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $2,519
4.5/90mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $2,136
5.6/100mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $2,411
5.6/120mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $2,268
5.6/120mm Macro Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $2,660
5.6/150mm Copal 0 - incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $2,743

Mounting-cost for existing Lenses
F= 24-35mm incl. lensboard, mask, focus drum and calibration - $910
F= 38-210mm incl. lensboard, extension tube, mask, focus drum and calibration - $1,078

stephengilbert

You're welcome, Mike. I came across that post when I was looking for information on the camera after looking at the LL video. No telling whether those prices are current, although if they aren't I imagine we'll hear soon enough.

S

smei_ch

Very strange that they are offering Press shutters. As these don't work with digital backs, it doesn't make sense to me....

Ben Rubinstein

Given that with the degree of focusing accuracy that is actually possible with this device, any laser rangefinder system would have to be measuring precisely from the position of the DB's sensor to an incredible degree of accuracy, I can't see that there is a 'quick' focusing device possible with this camera, the sonic rangefinder that they are making to work with it is not exactly what I would call precision focusing.

thomas

Given that with the degree of focusing accuracy that is actually possible with this device, any laser rangefinder system would have to be measuring precisely from the position of the DB's sensor to an incredible degree of accuracy, I can't see that there is a 'quick' focusing device possible with this camera, the sonic rangefinder that they are making to work with it is not exactly what I would call precision focusing.
Ben, basically you are right. But I think you would still work with focussing on the GG with loupe when required. I use a laser distometer and though the indications on the lens are very rough however it works pretty well when I shoot stopped down. The indications e.g. on the Digitar 47XL are ... 3, 5, 10 meters and then infinity. Lot of space between the indications; there is no 8,3 meter indication. Even if I would have an offset of a few millimeters with the laser distometer it would be accurate enough at f5.6 or f8... I think.
So whilst Arca Swiss' approach is maybe not the final solution for all purposes it is still a remarkable improvement over the current solutions especially regarding wide angle ... IMHO.
If I'd shoot motifs that require dead on focus in critcal situations and wide open with the tech camera I'd tether all the time. I'd buy an appropriate tripod with a small plate and would put a small laptop on it.
see: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/field-tethering.shtml

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

It does sound like it would be worth using a rangefinder to get in the ballpark and then a small laptop with liveview from the DB to fine tune it. To be honest though if you're already using the laptop and LV then the rangefinder might be superfluous. I do think that this camera is still far from the 'handholdable' solution that MR likes to think it could be but then the guy always gets rather over excited about stuff...

thomas

It does sound like it would be worth using a rangefinder to get in the ballpark and then a small laptop with liveview from the DB to fine tune it. To be honest though if you're already using the laptop and LV then the rangefinder might be superfluous. I do think that this camera is still far from the 'handholdable' solution that MR likes to think it could be but then the guy always gets rather over excited about stuff...
I agree!
Honestly I don't care about the finder of the Rm3d though it's certainly the best finder ever made for a camera like this. And the entire concept of the camera is actually based on the finder. But the one feature that engages my attention is the focussing mechansim. Actually nothing else.
Of course some other details look promising as well and I find it kinda affecting how much attention Arca Swiss turns to those details... like e.g. the sticks with the indication of DOF at a certain aperture. But it depends on the back how much DOF you really get with a given lens.
Then again with the tech camera I always shoot from tripod. My handholdable solution is my Contax...

stephengilbert

I think it's worth mentioning that ARCA finally has a WEBSITE. This is new, yes? (See Post #7, above.)

Last edited: