The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

B&W MF utility??

Tex

Subscriber Member
I am a LF B&W (810 & 45) non pro shooter and MF digital is a total mystery to me (never can undestand the pricing and depriciation factors). However I see some beautiful color files being produced on this thread.

Is there any advantage (quality of output) in shooting B&W images with MF digital over 45 and 810 LF film? I have not found any but perhaps I am missing something.

Thanks for any and all words of wisdom.

Regards,

Robert

Last edited:

MFnLF

B&W MF has a long way to go. B&W film can as high as 16-bit dynamic range, maybe even more with such as TMX, however the best MF digital has about 12~13 bits only.

Stuart Richardson

If quality of output is your only concern, nothing currently available can touch 8x10 black and white film for black and white output, particularly if you are using a completely analog workflow. If you scan film and print digitally, you might want to rent one of the latest 50-60mp backs and see how they strike you.

S

selsoe

Phase One makes a monochrome back. It's a B/W version of the P45+. Try talking to your Phase One dealer for a demo or contact Phase One directly for more information.