The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Custom Diopters or alternative?

Does anyone use, or have any knowledge of, a custom diopter for the M series cameras?

I've discovered that I can raise the camera to my eye and get the matching sharpness to my contact lens vision by putting on a pair of +1.25 reading glasses. I'd rather not add the glasses to the shooting experience.

The problem is that Leica has +0.5 as a minimum and I would guess I need a +0.25. There IS a difference; the vision with no diopter is a bit off, but if I wear +1.50 glasses it is also too much of a correction.

Has anyone had an optician replace the lens in a Leica diopter? or other than wearing glasses is there a less expensive approach?

Last edited:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Does anyone use, or have any knowledge of, a custom diopter for the M series cameras?

I've discovered that I can raise the camera to my eye and get the matching sharpness to my contact lens vision by putting on a pair of +1.25 reading glasses. I'd rather not add the glasses to the shooting experience.

The problem is that Leica has +0.5 as a minimum and I would guess I need a +0.25. There IS a difference; the vision with no diopter is a bit off, but if I wear +1.50 glasses it is also too much of a correction.

Has anyone had an optician replace the lens in a Leica diopter? or other than wearing glasses is there a less expensive approach?
Mark There are some good threads on this on the LUF. A few facts that may help. (1)rangefinder patch is set to approximately 2M so you need the magnifier that you need to see sharply at 2M....this is generally less magnification than your reading glasses (2) I was pretty sure that the native magnification of the Leica viewfinder is minus 0.5 .

I use reading glasses at plus 1.5 and yet my diopter is plus 1.0(net magnification of plus 0.5). This is because I have good eyesight(no glasses or contacts) and only use reading glasses for things inside arms length. I tested both the 1.0 and 1.5 magnifiers extensively on the camera and its the 1.0.

Another option is the Megapearls variable diopter magnifiers (I have the 1.35X) they also make a 1.15X as well. On these the diopter setting can be adjusted. It is important to do the adjust when looking at the rangefinder patch itself not just what looks sharp.

You will be a lot happy when you get a match because it really makes focusing a lot easier.

Mark There are some good threads on this on the LUF. A few facts that may help. (1)rangefinder patch is set to approximately 2M so you need the magnifier that you need to see sharply at 2M....this is generally less magnification than your reading glasses (2) I was pretty sure that the native magnification of the Leica viewfinder is minus 0.5 .

I use reading glasses at plus 1.5 and yet my diopter is plus 1.0(net magnification of plus 0.5). This is because I have good eyesight(no glasses or contacts) and only use reading glasses for things inside arms length. I tested both the 1.0 and 1.5 magnifiers extensively on the camera and its the 1.0.

Another option is the Megapearls variable diopter magnifiers (I have the 1.35X) they also make a 1.15X as well. On these the diopter setting can be adjusted. It is important to do the adjust when looking at the rangefinder patch itself not just what looks sharp.

You will be a lot happy when you get a match because it really makes focusing a lot easier.
Great information, Roger. Thanks for the help :salute: