The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Official USA Pricing for Leica S2

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
But if you DON'T use a tech camera (how many do or consider it?) and just use the P1 with your P45+... where is the difference than?
Resaleability to somebody who does want to use it various platforms?

jonoslack

The issue is their history. They are a good and honest company and will most certainly make it right EVENTUALLY. But how long will it take, and how many times will I really need to send it in to get it there? That is the issue that will keep people that are historic early adopters to stand by on the sidelines and "wait and see," and I'm not sure Leica has the luxury of surviving a wait-and-see market for the S2...
Ah well, I guess we'll just have to "wait and see":ROTFL:

Certainly, I don't think their best option was to pump bodies out of the door at a loss in the first instance.

LJL

Jono,
I get that part. I too hope that there have been some serious beta testers hard at work for months now. An NDA could cover the silence. They SHOULD have learned that from the M8, but at this point, I am slow to give more credit than has been earned with Leica.

The concept of selling a lot of S2 bodies early can be a problem IF there has not been sufficient beta shakedown and having all the problems fixed by now. Again, no way to know where this is at this point. One would assume this has been done, but again, with Leica, all bets there are off.

As far as problems with Canon...fair point, but they did get things corrected. With the size of their installed base, and the volumes they sell, it did take longer than a lot of folks felt comfortable with to get fixed. Interestingly, one of the fixes was to disable a new "feature" that was causing most of the problems and was not all that great a feature to begin with. Some things can be "over-engineered" to cause unforeseen problems. The bigger issue I see is not catching things on new stuff that has no back-up option, which is pretty much the case with all of the S2. If a 1DMkIII had a vexing problem, one could still use a 1DMkII and keep going, which a lot of pros did. What do you fall back on when an S2 issue comes up that requires lots of time to sort out?

The other points about one being foolish to NOT get a service contract with the purchase of a new Leica are all to painfully real at this point, but there still seems to be something fundamentally wrong with that at this price point and target level.

LJ

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think you get a standard 12 month warranty like anything else the premium warranties are advanced loaner swaps and such like Phase does with there 3 year value added which gets you overnight loaners and expedited repairs. I think Leica pretty much copied that idea but we also need to see the specs on this in writing as well.
The Premium Service includes:
• An additional 1-year transferable warranty
• Special Leica tech and repair helpline
• Warranty related exchange within the first three months of the purchase date
• Spare parts availability guaranteed for 6-years
• 30% repair discount

The Platinum Service includes:
• An additional 1-year transferable warranty
• Special Leica tech and repair helpline
• Warranty related exchange within the first three months of the purchase date
• Spare parts availability guaranteed for 6-years
• 30% repair discount
• Free of charge maintenance including one shutter and/or central shutter replacement
• Free of charge loan service during the repair period

Isn't the cost for the Platinum Service about the same as the Phase Value Added Package? What are the prices for the Hasselblad Care Plans?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Ah well, I guess we'll just have to "wait and see":ROTFL:

Certainly, I don't think their best option was to pump bodies out of the door at a loss in the first instance.
Agree totally, a loss-leader body is not a good profit strategy and they have to make a profit to remain viable. And we need them viable to effect the repairs :ROTFL:

thomas

The P65+ didn't. The P40+ didn't. Nor did the P22+ or P30+ or P45+ before them. Nor did any of the Hassy DBII series AFAIK.
didn't follow the topic but I think I remember there are some very annoyed users waiting for live preview in the new H3D2 backs... ?
If Phase and Hassy constantly refuse to incorporate new features there is hardly something that can fail... (though to be fair: the implementation of Sensor + went without flaws as well, right?)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Charlie the Phase Value added is 3k

Classic 1-Year Warranty or Value-Added 3-Year Warranty?
Phase One offers two types of warranties on its digital backs. The Classic 1-Year Warranty provides parts/service coverage for 1 year. The Value-Added 3-Year Warranty extends this warranty an additional two years, and adds extra accessories, and a replacement-unit program.

Classic Warranty Kit
1-Year Repair Only International Warranty
Black Pelican Case
Capture One DB
Single-Bay battery charger
One 2500 mAh battery
Viewfinder masks (5 pcs)
4.5m Firewire Cable
DigiClean kit

Value Added Warranty Kit
3-Year Replacement Loaner International Warranty
3-Year Free Platform Swap Guarantee
Metallic Case
Capture One Pro
Dual-Bay battery charger
Two 2500 mAh batteries
Viewfinder masks (5 pcs)
4.5m Firewire Cable
DigiClean kit
SanDisk 2-gig Extreme IV CF card
SanDisk Firewire 800 card reader
Multiconnector sync cable
Multiconnector > Minijack adapter cable
Manual hard-copy
LCC calibration kit
5 pcs QP greycard
Microfiber cloth

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re Beta testers --- there probably were, and all three of them were probably Leica employees. :)rolleyes: ) And that is likely the issue with the historic undiscovered problems in the DMR and M8...

LJL

Agree totally, a loss-leader body is not a good profit strategy and they have to make a profit to remain viable. And we need them viable to effect the repairs :ROTFL:
Right, because the timetable to getting the rest of the lenses out for the system, even if we give them the big margins there, is insufficient to keep them viable to effect repairs:ROTFL:

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Hassy I think you can extend the warranty on a yearly basis for 1500 per year. It was posted here on a thread but I think that was the pricing

Guy Mancuso

Re Beta testers --- there probably were, and all three of them were probably Leica employees. :)rolleyes: ) And that is likely the issue with the historic undiscovered problems in the DMR and M8...
I was asked two weeks ago if I wanted my name thrown in the hat. That's all I know at this point

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
didn't follow the topic but I think I remember there are some very annoyed users waiting for live preview in the new H3D2 backs... ?
If Phase and Hassy constantly refuse to incorporate new features there is hardly something that can fail... (though to be fair: the implementation of Sensor + went without flaws as well, right?)
Not sure what Hassy promised, but Phase never did to my knowledge other than tethered. It is a technical issue that prevents viable, live preview via LCD with CCD sensors. Much easier to incorporate with CMOS sensors. What they can do, is give you a live view *tethered* for CCD because they can crank the post sensor gain way up to get to a (almost) usable onscreen computer image -- but pretty much it's never going to happen with CCD sensors being viewed usably on the back's LCD.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I was asked two weeks ago if I wanted my name thrown in the hat. That's all I know at this point
You're the last person that will get a Beta S2! My new nickname for you is "If it can be broken I'll find a way Mancuso" :ROTFL:

LJL

Go back to the Leica release list.....only glass that will be ready to ship with the camera is the 70mm non-CS and the 180mm non-CS lenses. The rest of the initial batch will follow in Nov and Dec. So one will not even be able to shake down the CS part until Nov? Hmmm.....hope those beta testers had access to the glass and not just the body.

LJ

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

You're the last person that will get a Beta S2! My new nickname for you is "If it can be broken I'll find a way Mancuso" :ROTFL:
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: You know they won't send me one and certainly not holding my breath but who better than me. :D:D:D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Have you read the DNG spec? DNG provides for whatever you want. Of course, if someone writes special fields, a generalized processor will not be able to take advantage of it, but this is even more the case with proprietary formats.
Carsten, all,

the issue is that DNG is NOT a standard. And it is NOT open as it is implemented.

Good luck if you want to use for real high quality ;)

Leica better have their own specialized SW ready for their S2 DNG files, otherwise this is going to become a real nightmare - just remember back what my DMR did with the DNG files and how this was supported by say Lightroom and/or Aperture :mad:

thomas

Classic Warranty Kit
1-Year Repair Only International Warranty
Black Pelican Case
Capture One DB
Single-Bay battery charger
One 2500 mAh battery
Viewfinder masks (5 pcs)
4.5m Firewire Cable
DigiClean kit
I'm confused. I have two Phase backs both came with 1 year classic warranty and each came with double-bay battery chargers, I got the LCC plate for free (goodwill) and (at least assured verbally... and I have no reason not to trust them) I get a loaner during repair (maybe not the exact same model but something similar...).