The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya A 120mm/4 Macro Lens

Henry Goh

It is my understanding that this is the version just before the current Mamiya Sekor D version came out. I also understand that both lens are equally sharp. For these reasons, I refused to order the D version and was looking out for a good deal on the "A" version. Well I just ordered one at $398.00, new. Hope to get it in about 4 days so that I can post some pics from it.

Anyone with experience using both lens?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Henry:

There are at least two MANUAL versions that have manual aperture rings, then there are at least two (and possibly three) AF versions with minor variations. I think the manual versions are labelled "C" then "N". The AF versions are all manual focus focus, but auto/electronic aperture with interface pins, and the main difference with the newest D version is it has added pins to allow for firmware data I/O and upgrades. The earlier versions were labeled A (for Auto) and then later AF to clarify their use on the AF body, but this is unclear. I believe The newer "N" version of the all manual lens had revised optics, and was supposedly superior to the older manual "C" version optically. It is my understanding that from that last manual version through the current AF-D version, the optics are all pretty much identical, and all excellent.

robmac

I use the newer M645 version on 1Ds2 and it is spectacular - easily one of the best macros and short range telephotos around.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Correction:

It appears the two models of the all manual 120 lens that had aperture rings were an "N" and the final version is the "A" -- it is the "A" that had revised optics, and probably stands for "APO" though I am not sure. (I think the "C" was only made in 80mm.) Then came the electronic aperture manual focus 120 macro AF and AF-D versions.

robmac

My understanding is that "A" stands for ULD glass - butting up against white Mamiya APO CA correction levels, but a lot of folks just call it (and the M645 150/2.8 A) 'Apo'. I've yet to see any mentionable CA from mine as yet. One of my fave lenses.

John Black

Rob - Did you ever settle on a preferred adapter? I tried the HK one on Ebay (b-something-another) and the Fotodiox Pro. Neither of those impressed me. Maybe Leitax will come out with a bolt-on solution. That would be kind of interesting with one those programmable AF chips for the EXIF, etc.

robmac

John,

A bolt-on would be nice, especially chipped. That said, I still use Fotodiox Pro. It does the job. Haven't tried more spendy options and have no interest in buying and trying trunk-loads of adapters - always a compromise (secureness of fit, etc).

That said, I use a M645-Nikon unit PLUS an older-style (tangs vs. springs) HPGHK chipped Nikon-EoS adapter. Gives me a chip, ability to tune the fit of the side that bolts on the camera and the ability to use on a Nikon if desired.

If there is ANY annoying play between adaptesr, I borrow a trick from a friend and use a couple of drops of water-soluble glue between the two adapters. VERY old school 'fish glue' sold in woodworking shops for veneer work is great. Very high tack, very fast drying and tough but water-soluble if I decide to 'undock' the two units.

Rob

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Rob and John raise a good point. *IF* you have another system, like Canon or Nikon, you can pretty easily adapt the 120 manual aperture macro to it via an inexpensive adapter. All manual, but stunning macro...