The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A NEW HASSELBLAD 503CW

Double Negative

Not Available
is there really an improvement with this last batch of zeiss lenses over the CFE/CFi ?
If anything, they're "not as good." The ZV lenses are basically the same as the CF lenses (not even CFE/CFI level) and in the case of the 4/50, worse since it's the pre-FLE version.

These lenses are only nice on collector's editions because they look sexy. A real shooter would go for the CF as a minimum, if not CFE or CFI. Which is really sad, as these lenses should represent the ultimate evolution of these lens designs, IMO. Oh well.

And I like the blue Zeiss logo. :p

Godfrey

I prefer the "bumblebee" 903SWC I saw some years ago. Black chrome and bright yellow leather coverings ... ;-)

L

Louvre

Double Negative:

"These lenses are only nice on collector's editions because they look sexy. A real shooter would go for the CF as a minimum, if not CFE or CFI. Which is really sad, as these lenses should represent the ultimate evolution of these lens designs, IMO. Oh well.

And I like the blue Zeiss logo. " :p

I think you are mistaken about the Silver retro line of lenses made by Carl Zeiss.

There are three lenses: 50 mm, 120 mm and 180 mm.

The 50 has the same optical design as the current 50CFi.
The only difference is the front lens group that can be moved in the Hasselblad version is fixed at infinity with the silver lenses.
Zeiss motivates this by pointing out that many users leave the setting of floating elements at infinity.
Even without the FLE function activated the silver 50 performs better than the older non FLE design.

The silver 120 Makro performs exactly like the Makro Planar.
The same goes for the silver 180 mm Sonnar performance identical to the 180CF/CFE/CFi.
The 180 is NLA from Hasselblad.

The silver lenses are as good as their Hasselblad badged equivalents.

Double Negative

Not Available
^ Hmm, good point. I was thinking of the 50mm more than anything. But you made my point about that lens; the ZV lacks FLE...

Interesting that the ZV is better than the non-FLE version though, I didn't know that. If that's the case, then perhaps not having FLE would be fine with "most" users as long as the performance was better than the older 50s.

In the case of the other two, you're absolutely right - they have identical performance.

But what is the point of the ZV series then if they're overall not better? If the 180 isn't available anymore, okay - I can see that. But for that kind of money... I think I'd stick with a Hasselblad lens.

Stuart Richardson

They don't have electronic contacts though, so they are not as useful as CFE lenses if you use a 203FE, 205FCC/TCC or 202FA. So in most cases, I would agree with double negative -- they are not as fully featured as the latest CFE lenses, and they also appear more expensive. It is, however, nice that they are still available and I appreciate that Zeiss is continuing to manufacture for the V system, I just wish they would make NEW lenses, rather than versions of lenses that are extremely common on the used market and as new old stock.

Double Negative

Not Available
^ I agree, Stuart - I'm very appreciative of Zeiss for all the lenses they make. I have a half dozen ZMs that have been absolutely phenomenal and they're in part responsible for getting me into Hasselblad... Where of course more Zeiss glass is available. At some point I'll likely pick up an upcoming ZE. I'm definitely a fan. :)

I'm not knocking the ZVs, don't get me wrong. I'd be very happy to have the set of three! ;)