The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H3DII-60 coming in September

ddanois

Hello,

With the announcement that there will soon be a new flagship in the Hasselblad fleet, I am interested in anything known about the new H3DII-60 such as sensor type (i.e.. Is it the same kodak sensor or a Dalsa sensor like the one used in the Phase P65+?), new features, etc. In general, is this a new H3D with just 10mp more coverage or are there new features that we should expect? I have looked at the new product sheet and it looks to be a repeat of the H3DII-50 sheet with a "60" instead.

Thanks,

carstenw

Will it have live view? Some 50 owners are kinda miffed that the promised live view hasn't arrived yet, as far as I know.

ddanois

I'm extremely upset by the lack of an advertised feature. Like other owners, I was told it had live view (and this was reinforced by the product sheet) and didn't learn of the issue until after i opened the box. At which point, I called Hasselblad and was told it was "coming soon". Still no live view after almost 6 months. At this point, I'm so much concerned about live view (as I've learned to live without it) but more about sensor differences and other feature differences such as lens compatibility.

gogopix

Subscriber
not like Phase is doing any better
I understand it is a C1 issue (only tethered LV) and comes October?

Victor

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Sensor is the same as in the P65+ which is Dalsa, lens compatibility is guaranteed due to my Hasselblad rep, especially also for the 28 (which would be the biggest concern if there was campatibility).

For me Life View is not an issue, as I normally do not use this feature, but for me the biggest issue is the SW, as I am so much used to C1Pro which I have also in work for processing all my other RAW files, but I am completely new to Phocus AND Phocus does only support Hasselblad :rolleyes:

georgl

"ns compatibility is guaranteed due to my Hasselblad rep, especially also for the 28 (which would be the biggest concern if there was campatibility)."

Yes, but the 28 and 35-90 are crop-lenses and therefore the H3DII-60 image is cropped to 50MP (that's what I was told).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
"ns compatibility is guaranteed due to my Hasselblad rep, especially also for the 28 (which would be the biggest concern if there was campatibility)."

Yes, but the 28 and 35-90 are crop-lenses and therefore the H3DII-60 image is cropped to 50MP (that's what I was told).
Then I got different information. My rep said that those lenses would also work on the 60MP full NEW frame size.

Let's wait and see ;)

carstenw

Peter, be careful with that rep. It sounds like he is not telling the truth. Hasselblad employees (David Grover?) have stated on LL that there will be a crop factor. It wasn't as large as the 15% mentioned above, IIRC, but there is definitely something. I believe that the 28mm will be a 31mm on FF.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe David can comment on this and give the correct answers. I wish I knew more about the Hassy system myself. It get's very confusing with all there past bodies and such. Marc may have answers on this as well.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Peter, be careful with that rep. It sounds like he is not telling the truth. Hasselblad employees (David Grover?) have stated on LL that there will be a crop factor. It wasn't as large as the 15% mentioned above, IIRC, but there is definitely something. I believe that the 28mm will be a 31mm on FF.
Carsten,

if this is true, which of course could be, then this is another issue for me why not to go with Hasselblad.

I am trying the H3D2 and 39MP back and 28, 35-90, 150 and HTS next week, just to see how it handles. And to see how I can come along with Phocus :eek:

But if there are no options for "FF" on the 60MP back with current lenses, then this is clearly a show stopper for me.

I will ask again!

thomas

David Grover:

We have chosen a target sensor format of 36 * 49mm for the optimization of the lens performance for the HCD lens line in order to achieve a compact design with fast focusing as well as high performance. Top performance is reached even with sensors larger than 36 * 49mm. The only restriction is that a marginal crop is introduced with the HCD28 and the HCD35-90 in 35 mm setting. On a full frame 60 Mpix camera, the crop will result in an effective pixel count of 55 Mpix and a focal length factor of about 1.1. This means that the HCD28 will be equal to a 31 mm lens and the HCD35-90 will be equal to a 38-90 mm.
source: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28151&view=findpost&p=229301

carstenw

Peter, try cornering the rep on this issue. Maybe he just doesn't know, but he really should. His ability should not reflect badly on Hasselblad though; it is a fine system, and the lenses have a high overall standard. The camera is possibly nicer and better integrated than the Mamiya, although the Phase back is possibly nicer. I have used Phocus, and it has a similar feel to Capture One, although I have done no direct comparison. You can download Phocus from the Hasselblad website and try it, if you like.

Note that only the 28mm and 35-90mm zoom have this (slight) crop. The other lenses are all FF. The 100/2.2 is meant to be really good, possibly as good as, or better than, the famous Zeiss 110/2 F/FE (although it bugs me personally that they made it shorter and slower), and it is of course AF and auto-aperture, so depending on what you want to do with the system, that is something which cannot be matched on the Mamiya side. The HTS is also unique, in case you want to work with one system, rather than adding another camera and lenses for tech work.

fotografz

FYI: the "Data Sheet" for the H3D-II/60 is published on the Hasselblad USA web site.

On the "model comparison" chart, the lens factor columns for the H3D-II/60 list the HC lens factor as 1.0X and the HCD lens factor also as 1.0X ... but adds: (Marginal Crop).

None of the 60 meg sensors are really a true 645 size ... they're actually 94% of a 645.

I personally never heard of "Live View" (like on 35mm DSLRs) on any MF digital camera ... They have "Live Video" when thethered to a computer for composition and focusing.

Christopher

"I personally never heard of "Live View" (like on 35mm DSLRs) on any MF digital camera ... They have "Live Video" when thethered to a computer for composition and focusing."

that is what we are talking about.

T

tetsrfun

I personally never heard of "Live View" (like on 35mm DSLRs) on any MF digital camera ... They have "Live Video" when thethered to a computer for composition and focusing.
Thanks for clearing that up...My entry level CFV does quite well with the latest Phocus release, it is now "fast" enough to be useful for critical focusing. (tethered)

georgl

Hasselblad itself claims a max. image size for the HCD-lenses with "37x49mm", the image MTFs are given up to 31mm image height - nothing more.

The rest is simple math:

The so-called full-frame sensor of the 60MP-backs has a crop of 1,03 in comparison to 645-film, the other "large" sensors are 36,8mm x 49,1mm and a crop of 1,13 (645-film) or 1,1 (60MP-backs).

As long as they don't use a larger image circle with the HCD-lenses, the H3D-60 with HCD-lenses will produce 50MP-files, just like the H3D-50 - only with a Dalsa-sensor.

Nick-T

FYI
David is on Holiday at the moment so I wouldn't expect him to post. There is indeed no live view on the backs rather Live Video is what is being discussed. For various reasons the live video on the 50 is proving difficult to implement. The LCD on the 60 is as good as my Iphone IMO :)
Nick-T