The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya 645 AFD vs. Contax 645 AF

thomas

Marc, what is the Zeiss 40/4IF ? Is it the Distagon T* 4/40 IF CFE for Hasselblad?
I assume I'd need an adapter then?!
Dou you know how the distortion is? Has it linear or moustache distortion?
Thanks again!

dogstarnyc

I love the human condition... we started talking about Contax and Mamiya AF systems and their abilities on this thread, now it's all about Zeiss 40mm glass....

glad I'm not the only one who wanders off on a different tangent... :)

fotografz

Marc, what is the Zeiss 40/4IF ? Is it the Distagon T* 4/40 IF CFE for Hasselblad?
I assume I'd need an adapter then?!
Dou you know how the distortion is? Has it linear or moustache distortion?
Thanks again!
It's the latest, greatest 40mm from Zeiss. Highly corrected with an auto floating element for closer work. Does have some linearal distortion, which was the compromise to get tack sharpness across the field-of-view. I compared it to my 40 CFE with manual floating element, and the corners were much, much, much better with the 40IF.

Marc

thomas

It's the latest, greatest 40mm from Zeiss. Highly corrected with an auto floating element for closer work. Does have some linearal distortion, which was the compromise to get tack sharpness across the field-of-view. I compared it to my 40 CFE with manual floating element, and the corners were much, much, much better with the 40IF.

Marc
thanks a lot! now that really sounds very interessting! (I am not familar with the Hasselblad lenses)

So we are talking about this one: http://www.zeiss.de/C12567A8003B0478/ContentsWWWIntern/C01C620A55A53AE8C125708A003BF9B8#2

and I'd need for example an adapter like this (MAM1 type): http://tinyurl.com/pzal4f

right?

Evanjoe610

Jack and Marc,

Thank you for the explanation. Would anyone here by chance have an example of each to illustrate the difference to the untrained eye and individual such as me?

Evan

Front out-of-focus areas can often be quite ugly compared out-of-focus areas behind the plane of critical subject focus ... which is what we usually look at and compare. Both Irakly and I noted how smooth and delicate the front out-of-focus areas were with the Contax 55mm. I've not seen many wider lenses that are really good at this. Some Leica optics are, but it's not that common in my experience. Just an observation.

Evanjoe610

Marc,

Is the difference that great between the 40mm CFE FLE versus the 40mm CFE IF? Are you referring to both film and digital where the differences are that pronounced?

I guess that could explain why I see a lot of 40mm CFE FLE being dumped at prices near to the older CF FLE version.

BTW, did you ever try the 45-0mm Zoom? The lens is sharp through the entire focal length, just slow in the AF department. I find the Hasselblad 60mm-120mm an even sharper lens. Too bad its heavy and not AF and meter coupled to the Contax 645...

Evan

Marc