The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Resolution Games

gogopix

Subscriber
G'day gogopix,

if not on a tripod the best way to shoot a 12TC is with only one grip on the right hand side - your left hand should be free to cradle the camera whilst the right steadies and shoots.
with a 12WA - I think you need the two grips - but teh Phase One back needs the cable running through the grip.
Pete
yes, unfortunately the word is to use the left Phase cable grip since it needs to be close to the shutter synch
oh well, so much for small
I left off the viewfinder and was hoping for a more 'stealth' arrangement, but maybe I will get the Kapture cable too

thx for the info. Good feedback amongst the best I have received. (actually, we may be getting a sizeable MF community here. Now we need ftot-z Craham to bring in the Estonia crowd.
Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
There we go welcome my friend . Glad to have you on board. Love all the Pro's on here , great stuff.

fotografz

You are right Guy, this is a very dangerous place to visit : -)

Now "Peter the Pusher" is off to Hy6 and Sinar land ... ahh, I didn't want to retire anyways.

Let's see, ALPA and a couple of lenses, Sinar Hy6 and a 33 meg Sinar back plus at least three Schneider AF lenses ... or a new Bentley Brooklands. I could make money with the Hy6, but on the other hand, I could live in the Bentley ... LOL!

You know what's nice about this forum? You can talk high end gear without the troll bashing, and "It's not the camera, but the person behind the camera that counts" chestnut. Duh!

gogopix

Subscriber
had a chance to try the Alpa briefly with 35mm Digitar
very sharp center but a little fuzzy at the edges. I wonder if f11 is starting to show diffraction

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
no, the TC isnt great at shifting. I shoundnt say too much till I have a chance to do some real test shots. I think even though it was a high speed shot ther was wind and shake and who knows
an interio shot (of my computer screen looked better.
could be an infinity focus, diffraction or 'operator error' issue

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
You are right Guy, this is a very dangerous place to visit : -)

Now "Peter the Pusher" is off to Hy6 and Sinar land ... ahh, I didn't want to retire anyways.

Let's see, ALPA and a couple of lenses, Sinar Hy6 and a 33 meg Sinar back plus at least three Schneider AF lenses ... or a new Bentley Brooklands. I could make money with the Hy6, but on the other hand, I could live in the Bentley ... LOL!

You know what's nice about this forum? You can talk high end gear without the troll bashing, and "It's not the camera, but the person behind the camera that counts" chestnut. Duh!
ROTFLMAO!!!!

Here's a thought with the Bently though. You could offer it as part of your "Ultra Premium" wedding package (and of course stepping the price up accordingly): let the Bride and Groom be chauferred to the reception in it. Course you'd need to keep your dirty underwear in the hamper if you were living in it too.

:D,

fotografz

Don't laugh Jack, that thought has occurred to me. What the heck, I'm there anyway. Nice tax write off also.

Me in a Chauffeur cap, ( LOL ), then change hats when we arrive. Gives Multi Tasking a new meaning.

I think the Bentley folks will come in the night and confiscate the car if they hear about it being used like a Taxi to ferry around the proletariat ... but probably okay with them if I where just transporting an ALPA kit.

PeterA

Very funny you guys... This tractor ( below) is what I 'drive' on the weekends,
(shot with Alpa/35mm Schneider..LeafAptus75)

- too busy cutting hay to play with the Sinar and Hy6 this weekend..will see if I can borrow it during the week.

as for you 2 - you need an Alpa I can tell..-:) Fair 'dinkum' the more I use the thing the less interest I have in using anything else...

btw Jack how can I space the pics and center them?

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Peter

Yes, Even thr first sloppy shots are adicting. It is just a differnt look from 135 or MF
It is really back to view camera look, and the lenses I grew up with (well, sort of-it B&W, low speed BUT the depth was there.

Amazing what you can do with small glass, even if it is only between 5.6 and 11!

Regards
Victor

BTW I do the same thing on weekends, but in McLean Va we call is GRASS.:eek:

PSon

Dear Peter

Yes, Even thr first sloppy shots are adicting. It is just a differnt look from 135 or MF
It is really back to view camera look, and the lenses I grew up with (well, sort of-it B&W, low speed BUT the depth was there.

Amazing what you can do with small glass, even if it is only between 5.6 and 11!

Regards
Victor

BTW I do the same thing on weekends, but in McLean Va we call is GRASS.:eek:
Dear Victor,
With all due respect, but I have a different view of the latest digital lens for supposedly large format systems. The image circle for these digital lens are much smaller than those that were designed for large format view camera. In fact, it is more on the same scale as the medium format. Therefore, the spatial compression is still less than the 135 mm system as you mentioned and I agree, However, the spatial compression is only equal to the medium format system. Nonetheless, it is welcoming as you said to see images from medium format system for sure. I look at the Alpa system and digital lens as a medium format view camera.
Respectfully,
-Son

gogopix

Subscriber
oh, i certainly wasnt claiming to see any LF image circle -like activity. It is probably as simple as this; the view cameras use non retrofocus lenses; the optics and images are more straigtforward. It MAY lead to cleaner ray pats and thus clearer (possibly charper) images.
Whatever it is, it suely LOOKS differet from the contax which looks diff from Leica which looks diffron CANIKON wich looks diffrom P&S which looks diffrom polaroid WHew, cant remember any other canonical 'types' :rolleyes:

PeterA

you cant focus from 2 foot to infinity with a 21mm perspective with any lens made by any 'traditional' MF or 35mm lens manufacturer with the resolution that these Schneider/Rodenstock lenses deliver on a MF digi back.
It is just a great P&S camera for out doors documentary style and a bit of landscape. Put the thing n a tripod ( which I am pathologically allergic to) and it will eat anything out there in any format and spit it out -:)

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Peter,

Love your last post !! And really enjoyed your shots with the Alpa. Keep posting till I have one of my own. I NEED the encouragement !! LOL!

Regards,

Jim :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Peter,

Love your last post !! And really enjoyed your shots with the Alpa. Keep posting till I have one of my own. I NEED the encouragement !! LOL!

Regards,

Jim :D
No I need to get the hell out of this thread. I might be stripping my car down for parts at the swap meet to get enough money for this Alpa. Man love having you guys but your killing any hopes of retirement. Marc can i borrow the Bentley. LOL

Excuse me fella's i need to let another member in the door. LOL

PeterA

Jim I am just a snapshot guy but thanks for you kind words..
Guy - dont go doing anything drastic - like selling any of your secret stash of R lenses...to finance this...then again - do you a nice 35 lux or 19mm you want to ditch? LOL

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Peter,

Guy would rather GIVE you a body part than part with either lens!! Guy, let's get Jack involved and buy three Alpa's(and backs of course).....they're sure to give us that quantity discount !! :rolleyes: I'll even LET you be a beta tester for THEIR equipment!! Am sure Peter and Victor won't mind! :D Plus, you'll look very good getting out of your Bentley with the Alpa!

Jim
;)