The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad Planar T* 2.0/110 FE + Modified 5D

PSon

I downloaded the image and the exif information says it was a Sinar 54 digital back on a Contax body using a Hasselblad 40/4 IF (via a very well made adapter I assume.)
Marc,
It was done with 16 shots with the 40 CFE IF. Nothing get by you. LOL
Son

robmac

fotograz - thanks. Now what of CF vs CFi? Is the price difference justified for the different mechanics and lower internal reflection? My understanding being that they are optically identical.

fotografz

fotograz - thanks. Now what of CF vs CFi? Is the price difference justified for the different mechanics and lower internal reflection? My understanding being that they are optically identical.
I don't know the absolute answer to that question. Hasselblad/Zeiss makes minor changes to stuff without saying anything. I'd say the CF and CFi are identical, except that the flare resistance might be a tad better with certain CFi
lenses. The Flash Sync port is most certainly better. The CF one was more prone to damage and failure. If you get a digital back that requires a sync cord from lens to back, then it might be worth the money, since that the weak point of sync'ing a digital back.

My quest is the CFE lenses. They have all the CFi upgrades, PLUS the data bus contacts for use with my 203FE, and more importantly my H3D cameras when using the CF adapter. The H camera automatically reads which lens is mounted so I don't have to manually input it on the H grip.

I have all the CFE lenses except the 180CFE ... I have the CFi version of that lens.

gogopix

Subscriber
Marc,
It was done with 16 shots with the 40 CFE IF. Nothing get by you. LOL
Son
think i estimated wrong then (47x pixels x 19 is what i did, but full image was not quite that big.)
however, that's a 22MP back, same resolution as the MIII canon. So, seems that the MFDB gets better resolving (as was seen in other tests on LL etc.)

Resolving the print mask is maybe understandable; i think even 35mm 22MP would do that. What makes MFDB better? It may be as simple as this; when pix site is larger, when you are close to CoC the larger site keeps the m'bleed' down and so appears more resolved.
Son, you should be able to figure this out from aperture FL and site sizes of MF vs 35mm

If I remember my optics correctly the image will be the same (from lens) but the 22MP of canon are in a smaller area, thus closer to CoC.

This may be the fundamental item going on.

Is that reasonable?

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
I don't know the absolute answer to that question. Hasselblad/Zeiss makes minor changes to stuff without saying anything. I'd say the CF and CFi are identical, except that the flare resistance might be a tad better with certain CFi
lenses. The Flash Sync port is most certainly better. The CF one was more prone to damage and failure. If you get a digital back that requires a sync cord from lens to back, then it might be worth the money, since that the weak point of sync'ing a digital back.

My quest is the CFE lenses. They have all the CFi upgrades, PLUS the data bus contacts for use with my 203FE, and more importantly my H3D cameras when using the CF adapter. The H camera automatically reads which lens is mounted so I don't have to manually input it on the H grip.

I have all the CFE lenses except the 180CFE ... I have the CFi version of that lens.

Marc

CF vs CFi I have always wondered about. I have mostly older CF lenses (that match me! :D) but when buying new, esp with the P45+ I wonder whether the CFi would be better (I also have FE lenses which are great. the "F" lenses like the 50mm 2.8 and the 110mm are really specially, as we see here)

regards
Victor

PSon

Victor,
You are thinking too hard my friend. It is simple in this case. Currently there is no digital sensor whether 35 mm or medium format that has a 4.5 micron pixel size. When 16 shots are done the Piezo fine control mechanism shift a half a pixel size to give a 4.5 micron. In addition, assumed that one day a digital sensor that has a 4.5 micron pixel, the physical challenge for noise and color is not going to compare to a physical 9 micron pixel size and shift half to give a 4.5 micron pixel size.

best regards,
son

PSon

i think even 35mm 22MP would do that. What makes MFDB better?
Victor
Victor,
Despite the file is not with Marc but he saw something that he has not seen before. The 22 megapixel Canon will not come close to resolve this picture. The reason I chose the wide angle to do this is to demonstrate you do not need macro if your sensor has this kind of resolution. The dots are clearly defined and at this distance. I will post more for you to see the point Marc spoke above.
best regards
son

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Son, are those shot with your Hy6 or Contax???

They show phenomenal detail :thumbs:

PSon

and here with a different lens mounted on my customed made auto bellows for the Contax 645 system. Can you guess which lens is this one this time Marc?

best regards
son

Full view crop size image

100% view

100% view

btw: I took Dr. Kay advise and went with ThinkTank for my travel bags.

PSon

Son, are those shot with your Hy6 or Contax???

They show phenomenal detail :thumbs:
Jack,
These were shots with my Contax 645 system. I also shot them with the Hasselblad 205 and the Rollei 6008 system. Yes these are the highest resolving power you are witnessing now.

Best Regards,
Son

PSon

BTW Marc,
Using flash to shoot will show more crisp details than using natural ambient light. Thus, for resolution test for optics or sensor I prefer to use the tougher challenge and use ambient light in all these shots.
Best Regards,
Son

PSon

BTW, with the ThinkTank poster image do you see any flare issue? I have found a way to eliminate flare now.

best regards
son

gogopix

Subscriber
Son
seems you have the 54H. Is that a 1,4,16 shot UNTETHERED back?
The files, with the shift and full frame would make a 16 shot resolution equivalent to a single shot 40MP or more!(with the shift etc.)

Since many of us do not need 39MP all the time I would be interested to see a Sinar-Pahse comparosin.

With Lance here, if theirry would join we could get some real perspective on where these two are going. With a Leaf advocate (and I will admit to being a Phase booster!!) we could get some real insight

But maybe they don't want that :angel:

T

thsinar

hi Victor,

Son
seems you have the 54H. Is that a 1,4,16 shot UNTETHERED back?
The SB 54 H needs to be tethered: this particular back is from the 2nd generation of digital backs and was the first (and exclusive) 22 MPx at the time when released, for nearly one year.

Still, it is an amazing back and the quality reached in multishot is difficult to surpass, with the right lenses.

The files, with the shift and full frame would make a 16 shot resolution equivalent to a single shot 40MP or more!(with the shift etc.)
The file size with the 4-shot is the same as for the single shot, BUT with one big difference: it is not interpolated colors like the single shot, thus producing true colors without interpolation artifacts.

The 16-shot and its 1/2 pixel move after each shot does increase the resolution by for: in consequence of what one reaches an optical resolution of 88,8 Mpx.

Since many of us do not need 39MP all the time I would be interested to see a Sinar-Pahse comparison.
It all depends on the subject and its details: if you want to shoot a white piece of paper, ANY single shot will do it. The more details the more difficult it will basically be for the single shot. And some subjects are simply impossible to render with all details and colors like a multishot does.

But maybe they don't want that :angel:
Why not? As said, it is an optical and physical matter, one being calculated (interpolated) colors (single shot), a kind of "guess-work", the other being true un-interpolated colors (multishot).As good as the current interpolation algorithms are, and they are pretty amazing IMO (so much that it makes sometimes wonder how what get get such good results when the color information of 2 pixels out of 3 is missing with the single shot!), there are simply subjects which can be taken only in multishot mode.

Best regards,
Thierry

Last edited: