The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Portable strobes for Phamiya

J

jmvdigital

Hey guys, I just wanted to get some quick input on where to start looking for portable flash setups for my Phamiya. Ideally, I'm thinking 2-3 off-camera location strobes (i.e., mobile, not plugged in), triggered wirelessly by the hotshoe. I started a new full-time position, part of which involves product photography. I'm looking to do some quick, lightweight shoots at several locations featuring the small product(s). Something that could also play nice with a regular Canikon DSLR system would be good. Perhaps it's as simple as picking any wireless trigger and a couple of Alien Bees? Recommendations requested.

Much appreciated.
-J

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
To my knowledge, AB's are not portable and need a mains power source unless you buy the battery/inverter pack? You might want to look at portable units from Elinchrom, Hensel or Profoto. IMO each has their strengths and weaknesses.

I personally chose Elinchrom because they were very well weatherproofed, lightweight and readily available new and used.

If money is no object, I would look at the Hensel Porty or Broncolor battery units. If you want the best selection of modifiers and are not concerned with weather-proofing, I would consider Profoto.

Steve Hendrix

Check this out.

http://tinyurl.com/mqezaf

For small and lightweight battery power, this is a very cool piece of kit that we sell from Elinchrom. Works with the Skyports, enabling control of modeling lights, output, etc. Up to 1/6000th second flash duration, 6 lbs, also has a low watt LED light...

Steve

Steve Hendrix (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Okay Steve NO one ever said you guy's sold Elinchrom. Geez learn something new everyday. been looking at these quadra's actually. One thing I did not realize is i can use my bigger Ranger heads on this with a adapter

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I like the Quadra concept, but it is only 400 WS. On the upside, it's small and I can buy a $100 adapter cord and use my regular Ranger heads on the Quadra pack :thumbs:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I think that you still get 400WS with a ranger heads, no?
I am needing sometimes more than that on sunny days for full length shots.
-bob

Guy Mancuso

Maybe not Bob just a slight diffuser material and you may get F11.

Knock your ranger down to 400 watts and see what you come up with

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, you are limited to the power output of the pack, which for the Quadra is 400WS. The Ranger is 1100WS, or about 1-1/2 stops more light which can make a difference in brighter light. With MF, you usually want smaller stops so 400WS is marginal IMO. But OTOH this pack is less than half the size and weight and probably more than adequate for most DSLR needs. The fact it is cross compatible with the bigger Rangers is a plus.

Frank Doorhof

the quadra is great for all work you normally would do as a strobist but with MUCH more power and speed.
I love the light quality of the standard reflector, I normally don't use anything else.

The Ranger RX/speed is a totally different story it's raw power, combine it with the Elinchrom Maxispot and you will kill the sun in most cases.

For people interested I did a series of infomercials on the Ranger and Quadra on www.youtube.com/frankdoorhof

fotografz

Nice. This Quadra seems to be a great location kit for a wedding/portrait shooter IMO. Better than a couple of SB900s and Pocket Wizards and all the cords needed. It's a Norman/Quantum/Lumedyne killer to my way of thinking.

I'd question it for the small product photography the original poster is asking about. MF Digital tabletop typically needs to be shot @ ISO 50 for max resolution of detail and true capture of tonal gradations ... and needs to be stopped down to the lens defraction limit just to gain enough depth-of-field (which is why I use a view camera with full T/S for this work).

If you diffuse the light at all, (and you will) you'll most likely run out of light pretty quickly. Even two of the Quadra boxes, each driving a single head may not be enough. 400 w/s is puny when it comes to product work in my direct experience. If on location, it needs to soundly over-power any foreign light, which can vary all over the place both in color temp and intensity.

It's a universal problem. People want a stand alone, battery driven solution ... but that comes at a compromise. If it's smaller, it's less powerful. If it's more powerful, it's not small anymore.

I'd seriously think through whether the Battery Driven requirement is really a requirement. If not, there are a host of small and very powerful solutions available.

Marc

Clawery

I still like the Profoto line of portable solutions. They are a bit beefy, but can be used in studio too. I recommend the R series because of the built in Pocket Wizards.

http://www.profoto.com/products/profoto/generators/battery/pro-b2-1200r

http://www.profoto.com/products/profoto/generators/battery/acuteb-600r

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)

fotografz

I still like the Profoto line of portable solutions. They are a bit beefy, but can be used in studio too. I recommend the R series because of the built in Pocket Wizards.

http://www.profoto.com/products/profoto/generators/battery/pro-b2-1200r

http://www.profoto.com/products/profoto/generators/battery/acuteb-600r

Chris Lawery (e-mail Me)
Chris, I use Profoto in studio, however the Acute B 600 only has one outlet, so one would need 2 or three boxes to run 3 lights.

Jack has mentioned that the Profoto B2 is not weather proof compared to the Elinchrom battery packs. Can you comment on that?
The B2 is quite expensive and most certainly not small or light weight. Harder to use when working alone without grips or assistants to lug it around.

Again, I think one has to really think through the need for a portable pack.

One solution for a versatile system is a set of monos or a 1000 w/s AC powered pack and a separate battery generator for the occasional need where AC power isn't available. Hensel makes one called the Visit which will power two 500 w/s monos or a 1000 w/s box with multiple heads ... it provides 2 common household plug receptacles which will drive anything including a laptop.

Another solution is the trusty old Dynalite UNI-400 kit. It offers dual AC/battery power capibility Monos that plug in to an outlet for 400 w/s per head, or hook up to small Jack Rabbit batteries for 320 w/s output per head.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/93723-REG/Dynalite_UNIJRG_LW2_UNI_400_Two_Head_Package.html

These can be found used for a very reasonable price.

Marc

Guy Mancuso

I'm moving to all battery right now two Ranger packs but need a couple more heads. These Quadras though add another element to get really portable.

Steve Hendrix

Chris, I use Profoto in studio, however the Acute B 600 only has one outlet, so one would need 2 or three boxes to run 3 lights.

Jack has mentioned that the Profoto B2 is not weather proof compared to the Elinchrom battery packs. Can you comment on that?
The B2 is quite expensive and most certainly not small or light weight. Harder to use when working alone without grips or assistants to lug it around.

Again, I think one has to really think through the need for a portable pack.

One solution for a versatile system is a set of monos or a 1000 w/s AC powered pack and a separate battery generator for the occasional need where AC power isn't available. Hensel makes one called the Visit which will power two 500 w/s monos or a 1000 w/s box with multiple heads ... it provides 2 common household plug receptacles which will drive anything including a laptop.

Another solution is the trusty old Dynalite UNI-400 kit. It offers dual AC/battery power capibility Monos that plug in to an outlet for 400 w/s per head, or hook up to small Jack Rabbit batteries for 320 w/s output per head.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/93723-REG/Dynalite_UNIJRG_LW2_UNI_400_Two_Head_Package.html

These can be found used for a very reasonable price.

Marc

Purchasing battery powered strobes is a tricky balance. You have to really think hard about what you want as there are many compromises. If you want performance, you have to deal with weight. If you want portability, you have to deal with limitations. Will you use 1 head per pack or will you double up? How will this affect battery life? Know what is important to you and even prioritize those factors and then the best product will jump out.

Steve

Steve Hendrix (e-mail Me)

J

jmvdigital

Thanks everyone! I've got to spend some more time getting familiar with the products and brand, and start to develop a long term game plan for the shooting style and concepts. Then can I figure out what features will be beneficial in a lighting solution. You've given me a good head start and great advice to think on.

-J

Digitalcameraman

Thanks everyone! I've got to spend some more time getting familiar with the products and brand, and start to develop a long term game plan for the shooting style and concepts. Then can I figure out what features will be beneficial in a lighting solution. You've given me a good head start and great advice to think on.

-J
Jim:

If you have not added the Q Flash from Quantum please check it out. It is a small battery powered unit that has both TTL modules for Canon 5D Mark 2 and Phamiya. I just spent some time testing this unit with both and I really light it for a quick grab strobe with full power controls. It has a remote on top of the camera that allows for quick up and down power changes on the fly, really useful for tricky light scenes. It is a staple in the wedding markets. What I really like about it is some of the light modifiers. A soft box, diffuser, and bare bulb with enough power to create the mood you want on or off camera axis. The battery system is of course Quantum too, which speaks for itself.

I found the exposures to be very accurate with TTL module on both Phamiya and Canon 5D Mark 2. Nice to be able to switch the modules that way too.

http://www.qtm.com/

Check out the Q Flash Academy where you will learn a lot about that strobe.

Chris Snipes
President
Image Productions, Inc
150 22nd Street South
St Petersburg, FL 33712

727-823-8909 Studio
813-335-2473 Cell

www.imageproduction.com
[email protected]

kdphotography

Another vote for the Quantum Q flash systems. I'm not a fan of TTL, so still use only manual or the flash' auto mode---but can attest that the Q is a sturdy workhorse of a system. I'm still using the old Quantum Qflash model T and T2 with Turbo batteries at weddings/events. (about ten years old!) They just keep going! Same beautiful light quality, so I've found no need to upgrade to the latest iterations. Many modifiers available. Work flawlessly with Pocket Wizards as well as with other lights. I've only had to re-cell the Turbo batteries....