The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contax 645 and mirror lock up

avelpavel

Hi, I'm using Contax 645 camera with Sinar Emotion backs.

I have found that I can't use mirror lock up with non-contax lenses like Schneider 60mm curtagon or zeiss jena 300mm, which are very good optics but especially for the 300mm using it without mirror up is impossible under 1/500s.

When I use 2s delay option mirror lock up works fine, but the for the 300mm it's not enough. Someone knows how to use mirror lock up for longer times? Is it possible with some particular kind of lens adapter? I'm currently using a DVD-Technik Ukrainan adapter which works with no problem.

Thanks for your help!

Roberto

My experience using Hasselblad FE and CFi lenses on the Contax 645 with a Phase One back is the same. Only 2 second timer setting will pull the mirror up, and the 'B' setting doesn't work with the digital back either (Contax grip electronics aren't playing nice). I haven't discovered an alternative yet.

avelpavel

Hi all, thanks for the input.

I have tried the advice found on LL forum to fix the camera and the lens with a strong and sturdy tripod plus a manfrotto magic arm to the camera. Now the results seems good even in the "pain range" of 1/15s or 1/8s, but I have to wait about 30s before press the shutter with 2s delay and wire cable.

Thanks Doug for the advice on the long exposure advice, I will check it.

Kind regards to all

Roberto

MistralAtom

Managed to achieve this on the weekend on Contax 645 with the Zeiss Tele Apo 350mm @ f 5.6 1/700 th ISO 400 P30+ back. Tripod a big Gitzo and Jobu Design BWG-Pro. It's an elegant and super stable platform that is the result of much research. Without the platform the lens was virtually unusable, terribly frustrating. But now, it's reborn. No mirror lock up used. Manual focus.

Last edited: