The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

looks like the Hy6 is no more....

S

smei_ch

On Aug. 5th Sinar sent an internal communication paper to very selected recipients. Content was thin, but nevertheless confidential. Obviously BJP got a copy of that.

To quote the german member from another thread where he also claimed to know better:
"...There is any number of unsubstantiated claims in the average thread around here, or in any other forum. This is one of the least contentious. ..."

Everybody can do whatever he likes with his own credibility.

As long as there is no official statement from the involved companies, every post is sharing opinions or spreading rumours.

Last edited:

carstenw

Hey Carsten... i think (and I speak for myself :)) that the statement "The papers which are going the strongest around here are the rags" was taken as meaning "around GetDPI" ... GetDPI being "here".

I don't think most of us read it that way, though.
Oops, this was not my intention, my apologies to LJ and anyone else who read it that way.

All I wanted to say what that the BJP having been around since 1854 does not automatically confer it with trustworthiness. It might be, it might not be.

fotografz

I think any news (or rumors or gossip) like this should be shared and left to the intelligence of the reader to determine their take on it. I also think posters should be able to challenge a statement so there is some sort of balance interjected into the thread.

The reason is because this stuff costs so much money that one misstep can be a true disaster to an individual. My skew of loyalty is to fellow photographers not to any specific company. But if the company is being maligned unjustly then we should speak up ... IF we have facts or informed opinion to back up a counter point.

I think these guys are out of business concerning the Hy6. That is just an opinion since it hasn't come directly from the horses mouth yet. However, I doubt they would announce it if there are units out there still for sale.

-Marc

PeterA

Now I can add the Hy6 to the Contax - not made anymore but works just fine till it breaks collection. I will look to pick up one of these junk bodies for spare parts - anyone got one to sell for a few hundred bucks?:D

fotografz

Now I can add the Hy6 to the Contax - not made anymore but works just fine till it breaks collection. I will look to pick up one of these junk bodies for spare parts - anyone got one to sell for a few hundred bucks?:D
Either that or they will skyrocket in price after an initial sell-off period ... (if an offical announcement is made). Look at the price of some Contax 645 stuff ... I should have kept all of it ... I'd have made a killing compared to the bath I took. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hy6 is dead - unfortunately another German product :(

Hope this does NOT happen to Leica's S2 :thumbs: as I really would love to see some German companies survive and build the right things against Far East ;)

D

ddk

Either that or they will skyrocket in price after an initial sell-off period ... (if an offical announcement is made). Look at the price of some Contax 645 stuff ... I should have kept all of it ... I'd have made a killing compared to the bath I took. Oh well, hind sight is 20/20.
Prices will depend on if one can get DBs with the right mount for them or not. You could always get your Leaf or Phase DB with a Contax mount or have it changed over but as far as I know that wasn't the case with the Hy6.

MMPhoto

I am afraid that the Sinar Hy6 might be over. Now you can get a Digital back for your Hasselblad V or 500 serie of 39 mg pixel for about 15,500.00 Cdn.

I saw the Sinar Hy6 it was very attractive and I would love to get in that system, I have been using Sinar for over 20 years and I believe in there system. I think they came out to late and to expensive, plus Leaf being bought out by Phase I really don't see Sinar continuing with there Hy6.

carstenw

Sinar has already gone on the record stating that they have enough bodies for their sales for the immediate future. If anyone wants one, they are still available...

I agree that it looks rough at the moment, but given the total absence of facts, I am still shocked how many people make definitive statements about its death. Let Sinar say so before spreading that kind of thing around.

D

ddk

Carsten, more than likely Sinar and Leaf have a certain amount of inventory as well as some of their dealers, that doesn't mean that its still alive and you wont have problems getting parts like the AE finder. Knowing what you know as fact regarding the situation with the camera manufacturer, Leaf and Jenoptik, would you feel comfortable buying one at full price today?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Absolutely categorically not. Rumors , facts it really does not matter it is a risk no matter how you slice the cheese. Maybe a Sinar back but a HY6 i would not go for it. There is just not enough positive at the moment be it right or wrong just to much negative talk. Sure they will have parts and bodies for awhile and I am glad for the current owners that this is a very good thing it can stretch them out for a period of time but if you just think ahead given what we know or for that matter do not know, not sure I would go for one. Not that Phase or Hassy could not go down but I at least I see sales and numbers out there that could carry me longer. Now I said this before in the US Sinar is by far not that popular as it is in Europe. Yes there are some owners but the numbers are light compared to Hassy and Phase owners and even Leaf for that matter which had a decent presence in the States. These comments are not negative in any way it is a risk reward proposition and I don't see much in the reward as I do in the risk. Just simple logic

The bottom line BJP could be full of BS for all we know the point being the Hy6 is making news and it is not positive news and I'm sure Sinar owners are very nervous about this but anyone looking at a system see's this publicity will shy away. Frankly I wish Sinar well and anyone leaving this industry is not a good thing period.

Guy Mancuso

Let's look at this in a different light and ask yourself this question honestly. If you are a Sinar owner with several lenses and full kit and you left the whole system in your car and it got stolen and your insurance company handed you a 30 or 40 k check to buy a system . You have the check in your hand and can do anything with it how many or better yet would any one of us go buy another Sinar system given what we know today. Sure you would certainly entertain it but would you actually sign that check over for another one. It's a great question and a decision obviously based on individual needs but I know I would not if I was in that spot.

Paratom

IMO not good to communicate so few infos about the future /no future of the Hy6.
Who would buy a Hy6 ithout knowing the system is continued in the future?
The other thing is all these rumours etc. drive me crazy.
Discussing things before they even exist (like the S2, M9, new phamiya, or the end of hy6 etc etc)
I think a lot of energy and power is just wasted this way. Why not dicuss the REAL things?

carstenw

Carsten, more than likely Sinar and Leaf have a certain amount of inventory as well as some of their dealers, that doesn't mean that its still alive and you wont have problems getting parts like the AE finder. Knowing what you know as fact regarding the situation with the camera manufacturer, Leaf and Jenoptik, would you feel comfortable buying one at full price today?
No, I would not. Unless the system had everything I needed as is, and Sinar lives on to support it. I am the owner of a Contax, after all :)

fotografz

IMO not good to communicate so few infos about the future /no future of the Hy6.
Who would buy a Hy6 ithout knowing the system is continued in the future?
The other thing is all these rumours etc. drive me crazy.
Discussing things before they even exist (like the S2, M9, new phamiya, or the end of hy6 etc etc)
I think a lot of energy and power is just wasted this way. Why not dicuss the REAL things?
Because it's fun? :rolleyes:

Guy Mancuso

The only thing I would buy right this second if I had the money in my hand would be a P40+. Other than that I am really just looking at the S2 for the moment just to see how good it may be. But I am at least 6 months from thinking about buying and that is thinking on the S2 some stuff bugs me on it. Otherwise I am pretty damn happy and I have not said that very often. My system just works and I like it.

Being a gear slut is just like being married the day I stop looking at the pretty girls go by than just open the casket and toss me in.

fotografz

I rthink you need a pair of big brass ones to buy anything new from anyone in MFD land at the moment.:ROTFL::ROTFL:
I know. I've managed to sell my CFV-II and my H3D-II/31 ... but can't quite bring myself to replace the CFV with the new CFV/39 for my 203FE which really is priced pretty good considering.

I must be shriveling up and the brass is flaking off ... :LOL:

PeterA

I am keen on seeing what the S2 delivers because I can see myself hand holding the thing better than I can hold any other MF camera. I will never sell my M lenses - so whatever the best M body is I will own. My Alpa and Schneiders is never to be sold. I think that is what I will end up with sooner rather thna later....

Hmm that means only 30 lenses and 4 MF camera bodies and two digi backs to sell.:ROTFL::ROTFL: