The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica in a more trouble than really known ?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If the M9 is priced pretty good by Leica standards it will sell very good. Just no IR filters and FF will get people to buy and if they can gain a stop ISO at 1250 clean . Look out
BTW they should be able to get a clean 1250 with the existing 6.8 micron sensor. Let's face it I have that today with my P30+

D

David A

The way some people go on you would think that Leica only made cameras and it’s what they depended on to survive. If they pulled out of the camera market tomorrow would they survive? Yes. Just look in any medical or research lab and you will see why, it’s because they make the best optical systems in the world.

http://www.leica-microsystems.com/

Don’t forget they also make some of the best spotting scopes in the world as well just look at what bird and wildlife watchers are using.

http://en.leica-camera.com/sport_optics/televid_spotting_scopes/

Would a bad S2 launch and sale along with no M8 replacement spell the end of Leica? No, they have other areas of business to keep them going.

David

LJL

Hate to be a bit of a wet blanket on this Leica stuff, but has it occurred to folks that on the 090909 big event that they may be doing something a bit less lofty than folks are predicting?....such as introducing a new 4/3rds camera, noting the roll-out plans for the S2 and maybe only officially announcing the M9 and its future delivery date, much like they did with the S2. Leica announced the S2 quite a long time before they are going to be delivering it. Not trying to dampen M9-wanter enthusiasm, but just looking at both what may be practical and backed up by some Leica history.

LJ

T

tetsrfun

If they pulled out of the camera market tomorrow would they survive? Yes. Just look in any medical or research lab and you will see why, it’s because they make the best optical systems in the world.
I think that they are three separate companies.

" In 1996 Leica Camera separated from the Leica Group and became a publicly held company. In 1998 the Leica group split into 2 independent units: Leica Microsystems[2] and Leica Geosystems."
wiki

Terry

Hate to be a bit of a wet blanket on this Leica stuff, but has it occurred to folks that on the 090909 big event that they may be doing something a bit less lofty than folks are predicting?....such as introducing a new 4/3rds camera, noting the roll-out plans for the S2 and maybe only officially announcing the M9 and its future delivery date, much like they did with the S2. Leica announced the S2 quite a long time before they are going to be delivering it. Not trying to dampen M9-wanter enthusiasm, but just looking at both what may be practical and backed up by some Leica history.

LJ
LJ,
if the new camera were truly a future event, I would be shocked. Why would they schedule in store events all across the world for that day? They would simply leave it at a webcast. I'm not getting ahead of myself but I think you will be surprised. I for one believe the new camera is ready to go and I would not be shocked if a few people walked out the dealer's door with them on 9/9.

LJL

LJ,
if the new camera were truly a future event, I would be shocked. Why would they schedule in store events all across the world for that day? They would simply leave it at a webcast. I'm not getting ahead of myself but I think you will be surprised. I for one believe the new camera is ready to go and I would not be shocked if a few people walked out the dealer's door with them on 9/9.
Terry,
I understand that sentiment, but at the same time, I would not be surprised if they show the new M9 as a prototype that is nearing completion, with planned delivery next year. For all the folks salivating to get their hands on an M9 next week, I hope Leica is able to deliver that way. I am just not sure it is going to happen. The S2 is not even shipping yet, though that may be the other part of the story.....start shipping the S2 on 090909, and announce the M9 for near-term delivery, plus have some 4/3rds camera ready to ship also. Seems like plenty for a big announcement. Will just have to wait to see. Not having any images from the S2 yet, nor the formal announcement, specs, and images from an M9 just seems a bit odd for such major products.

LJ

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
My opinion is that plenty of the photos from and reviews of the S2 will be released on 9/9/9 along with a firm shipping date or actual product. The wall of silence by reviewers and Leica indicate that Leica's non-disclosure agreements are pretty strident. Without that wall of silence, I'd be more concerned. My thinking is that Leica has implemented a buttoned down release schedule that has put the camera in influential hands before the announcement date ... after the 9th we'll see a release of the information that has been gathered over the past several months in a wave of PR.

I'm impressed with how they've managed the whole release process ... I get the impression that someone is minding the PR/marketing store for the first time in a number of years.

Kurt

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...

LJ
The announcing of the M9 and a its future delivery date would be just fine. Then we would know it was coming and the road map for fulfillment.

Nothing that many hi-tech companies do.

carstenw

It is possible that the M9 will only be announced, but I don't expect that it will be far away. Already this spring they were testing it, according to my sources, and announcing it will kill off sales of the M8/M8.2, not something they would do lightly, nor too early.

A

Alexander Bauer

It is possible that the M9 will only be announced, but I don't expect that it will be far away. Already this spring they were testing it, according to my sources, and announcing it will kill off sales of the M8/M8.2, not something they would do lightly, nor too early.
perhaps, but I don't see why would they have any sentiments for M8.2 with all of its short comings if M9 is sound and ready.

carstenw

Not sentiments, income. They won't announce the followup until it is almost ready, to avoid cannibalizing their current income.

fotografz

I doubt Leica is as uninformed as you portray them Peter.

I also doubt Leica hinged their future on the S2 alone. Even years ago, it was clear that Medium Format Digital was clearly a low volume, over-crowded segment of photography ... which is now getting thinned out even faster by the disappointing world economy ... and 35mm DSLRs are very well developed ... thus the in-between S2.

That leaves the M to generate immediate sales volume and cash.

If they only announce the M9 on 9/9/09, so what? It will most surely serve to keep people who are waiting for a FF M out of the market rather than spending their cash on something else.

I think the M9 will be a serious purchase for many people. My bet is that it'll be $8,000. maybe more. IMO, this would argue for keeping the M8 in the line-up for awhile @ half the M9 price (or smaller digital camera using a M mount) ... so more than just the well healed can use a digital rangefinder.

D

ddk

Creating a buzz is good marketing wether they have new models for sale or just announcements they got people talking about Leica right before photo expo in NY and S2's launch.

R

Ranger 9

... so more than just the well healed can use a digital rangefinder.
When has Leica ever given a kack about anybody other than the well-heeled?

The video did say they'll be introducing "a collection of products... for the novice and professional alike" -- which suggests a range of more- and less-complex offerings. I still suspect, though, that even the "novice" products will be targeted at the uber-affluent novice.

After all, the voice-over said that Leica cameras "enable excess to life's hidden stories." Yeah, I know, you thought he said access, but I don't think so...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think they will show the S2 and image samples and we will get firm release dates.

I also think (hope) that they at least announce the M9, maybe they show a prototype. And I hope the M9 will be FF and go up to ISO3200 at least with reasonable results, which means it can do ISO1600 with perfect results.

Having said that I do not see the M8.2 market disappear, as both cameras (M9 and M8.2) will be at totally different price levels and so both will sell, especially if they bring down the M8.2 prices a bit.

They also might show the new camera being able to take existing R glass, they promised to bring a solution and this would be a relief for the R club.

I really hope they do not get into 4/3 again and especially do not sell rebadged cameras from Pana or Oly. An also not waste too much time in developing lenses for this system.

Terry

I really hope they do not get into 4/3 again and especially do not sell rebadged cameras from Pana or Oly. An also not waste too much time in developing lenses for this system.
Call your local Leica rep and ask them about the rebadged cameras....Leica does very, very well indeed with these.

Christopher

It is 100% sure that the m9 will be out right after the announcement on the 9/9/9. There is NO doubt about that. Why you ask ? So simple, Leica has only one year to release the M10 on the 10/10/10, OK a little bit more than a year. :p

carstenw

I believe that Leica has stated on the record somewhere that 4/3 isn't interesting to them. There are supposed to be two major announcements on 9/9/9, but I don't know what the other one would be.

Christopher

Well that is true, BUT and this is a BIG BUT, 4/3 especially micro 4/3 is a lot more successful than many thought. I couldn't believe that Leica would not take the offer from Pan to use their design, glue a red dot on the front and sell the same thing for a couple 100 bugs more. There is no easier way to make money for Leica.