The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Rig

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Paul - your video demonstrations were a huge help - I watched all of them several times - they really helped to confirm to me that I wanted the Alpa.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Man look at that DR in the first image. Nothing better than MF for that. Charlie these bad boys are crystal sharp. You are doing a great job on focusing and I know you are guessing right now.

MikeScecina

Workshop Member
Way to go, Charlie. Beautiful series. The quality of light captured in the early evening street scape is remarkable. And congrats on that rig.

PeterA

Congratulations and use it ingood health! Just to 'round out' my collection - I am looking for an old P25+ in Mamiya mount.

Terry

Congratulations and use it ingood health! Just to 'round out' my collection - I am looking for an old P25+ in Mamiya mount.
I like the way you say old....Has the oldest one even hit it's first birthday yet?

PeterA

I like the way you say old....Has the oldest one even hit it's first birthday yet?
Hmm good question Terry :bugeyes: I do believe my H3D11-39 back is over a year old. My CFV11 is about 6 months as is 75LVr from Sinar ( swapped with a forum member out of P45+ back for the Sinar /Hy6)

here is the scorecard since buying into MFD

1. Hasselblad reduced prices on me 3 months after I paid full rack rates
2. CFV11- now replaced by CFV-39 at similar prices for doubel pixel count - but not a square sensor - but who cares?
3. Sinar have no new back but a dead Hy6 system ( as in dead dead- shame the lenses are the BEST IMHO)

I think total write down sicne acquisiiton is ummm...lets say 10K for Hasselblad H3d11-39. 5K for CFV11, 10K for Hy6 and lenses ( back is fine) - so rolling 12 months has 'cost' about 25K in manufacturer inspired price changes or failures.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

I'd sack myself as a trader based on this track record.

Kinda puts the so called 'expensive S2 into perspective though...doesnt it? :D and also has me ready to write off M8's I own as soon as M9 appears - yes i want one - the M's in digi and film format are my most used system.

I buy on the belief that anything in digi land is worth 30 cents in the dollar over 2 years and maybe 20% flat thereafter. it is pure discretionary expenditure. But I like cameras as industrial design as well as utility objects I haev a fascination for optics and digi backs and I like something about each system I own. this stuff mostly sits on glass shelves with underlighting so it looks prety at night when I am stuck in Bloomberg land.

:ROTFL:

Terry

Peter - Yikes that does sort of suck.... although I was just talking about "old" in terms of a 25+ plus which I thought was still a pretty new back.

PeterA

No worries Terry - I have an amazing ability to laugh at myself and teh good fortune to be able to afford it :)

Yes Guy I knwo you had a lovely P25+ back - it is just that after my unexpected depreciations - I decided the next Phase One would be bought at prices similar to my existing 'infrastructure' would fetch -:)

cmb_

Peter - but your Alpa is holding value, at least for now, and it is just a piece of metal with a hole in it!!!

GrahamWelland

Assuming you're not doing any post processing on the images I'm VERY impressed with the performance of the Schnieder 47mm lens as well. The lack of distortion seems very noticeable with the types of shots you've included here.

What setup are you using with the Alpa? Basic body off the tripod or are you using one of the grips?

cmb_

Graham - just a little post but no corrections for distortion. There is very little distortion from the 47mm as far as I can see. But remember, the P20+ is a square sensor - 36.9 x 36.9 mm - so we are not seeing what the performance might be like on one of the larger sensors like the P45+ where you have 49.1 mm in the horizontal direction in landscape orientation and are then using more of the image circle of the lens, but I suspect the distortion will be very well controlled. I should have the opportunity to try some different backs because I will attend the Oregon workshop so I will see how it does with a larger image area and many more megapixels. With the P20+ the "corners" are probably still in the sweet spot of the lens!

I have the Alpa 12 SWA. All of the shots I posted were tripod mounted but I have also shot with it handheld. It comes with grips and it actually feels very balanced handheld but I am still learning and trying to get comfortable with it guessing distance, exposure, etc. For now it is easier for me to mount it on the tripod then I have at least one hand free to be scratching my head wondering what I am doing! LOL

cmb_

Gero - thanks, yes I am really liking the square format too and hope it endures for a long time.