The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Rig

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I just got a P20+ (my entry to medium format) and here are a few first shots. I have a lot to learn both shooting and processing but I will enjoy that part - very exciting. Alpa camera with Schneider 47mm.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wow --- great color and detail Charlie! And dontcha just love that your digital clouds now look like real clouds? :)ROTFL:) I assume you'll be bringing that new toy to Oregon?

:thumbs:

cmb_

Yes Jack, it's coming to Oregon and you and Guy are going to show me how to use it!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Have to remember this is a 18mpx square sensor with a 9 micron sensor , the same sensor I had in my P25+ files and you can get these backs at a very low cost and use them on a Hassy V camera or almost any 645 or Tech camera. This is a very low cost entry into MF and still be able to use C1 as your raw processing engine which this back is fully supported. Honestly this will smoke any 35mm out there with these big fat pixels. I wish people would look at these more and the P21+ which is the 4:3 format with same sensor and micro lenses which a lot of fashion shooters use since these are very fast to shoot as well.

cmb_

Thanks to all for the congrats.
Cindy - yes, detail is amazing but I am sure I could improve my shooting technique and processing and perhaps get even more from this system.

Guy - you are correct, if you shop around and be patient there are some good prices on backs if you do not need to have the latest and greatest. Same for the cameras. Of course you can spend a fortune as well but you don't have to. Most important - get what you want (or need if you have specific job requirements).

Dale Allyn

Guy Mancuso said:
Have to remember this is a 18mpx square sensor with a 9 micron sensor , the same sensor I had in my P25+ files and you can get these backs at a very low cost...
Guy - you are correct, if you shop around and be patient there are some good prices on backs if you do not need to have the latest and greatest. Same for the cameras. Of course you can spend a fortune as well but you don't have to. Most important - get what you want (or need if you have specific job requirements).
Hey, go easy, guys! Charlie may have found a great deal, but P25+ backs are rare, and those 9 micron pixels are special! The value of (my) P25+ is going up every day!! :ROTFL:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
The detail in the clouds and the trees in the second one is amazing. Congratulations!
Hi Cindy:

FWIW, that is one of the huge advantages to shooting with MF backs -- far broader DR that allows you capture tonal transitions in bright clouds while still maintaining shadow detail. It's amazing what you pull out of a single file in a good raw processor. This is something that the DSLR's -- even the best ones -- cannot do very well, at least yet.

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

BTW those coming to the workshop I can ask Dave to bring these two backs along if folks wanted to look at them and try them out. I think a lot of 35mm landscape type shooters should really think about these.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Charlie,

I'm so happy for you. After speaking with you so much about different options I'm glad we could provide you an option that fits you so well.

Oregon is going to be a great experience for you. Guy and Jack can help you with techniques in the field to work creatively with your tech camera platform and I can help you with Capture One to make sure you squeeze all the awesomeness out of your files as possible. You'll come out of it really well prepared for any shooting situation.

We can also cover stitching technique so you can turn that "only" 16 megapixel system into a 40 megapixel monster. 60" prints await you!

That large format glass REALLY sings doesn't it?

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe

Guy Mancuso

BTW i made a small mistake on the specs. Here you go
the P20 is 16 megapixel square. The P21 is 18 megapixel 4:3

O

Optechs Digital

Hi CMB,

This is really great to see! In my view the current megapixel race is beyond the point of reasonable return for many. We have been encouraging our clients to think about the Alpa system as an upgrade path to their existing "old" backs rather than necessarily getting a new higher resolution back. For many this a perfect option as it seems to be for you.

recently a client told me after shooting his P20 (non plus back) on an Alpa Max that he had never seen his back perform so well. This is true for the older P25 backs and Aptus 22 backs as well.

Congratulations on your new system, it looks like you already have it dialed in and have fun in Oregon.

Best Regards,
Paul

cmb_

Doug - thanks. I am looking forward to Oregon and hopefully by October I will have a good start with the system then you guys can give me the extra push I (my work) will need. And yes, the large format glass really sings and with the P20+ I have lots of image circle to spare!