The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The never talked about Standard lens/How's yours

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Something we rarely talk about is the normal lens that comes with your MF system and how much you use it or don't. Most conversations are about the wides or the tele's but fact is I use my 80mm quite a bit doing location work. I was just trying to process something in Camera Raw .Actually testing out snow leopard really and I processed this I shot a few weeks ago on location and have to say my 80mm D Phase lens is damn sharp. Just one for now at F11

My one issue with Camera Raw i see Red bias need to make that adjustment for it. Still a C1 fan but nice to have a backup

PSon

Guy,
I am glad you brought up this subject. The normal lens is actually one of my most preferred focal lengths since it offers close to the natural normal perspective. When I do documentary portrait groups of 2-4, I always use the Carl Zeiss Planar T* 2.8/80, HFT 2.8/80 PQ and Schneider HFT 2.0/80 and for 35mm format the Leica Noctilux and Elmarit 50s. For closer portrait, I use the legendary Planar T* 2.0/110 FE and HFT 2.0/110 PQ. In fact, I do not like the 150 - 180 mm focal lengths for portrait since there is more compression, which create a more flat look. On the wide end, I do not like to use it on people since the distortion is significantly higher than the normal lens which makes people look shorter and wider. On the other hand, the normal lens is not only sharp like you mentioned, but it also has great value, an essential factor for student and budget, and in most cases faster than the wide and mid telephoto lens. Though more recently, the speed has been increased for these focal lengths but the price has also increased significantly and may reduce the value. The most important factors that determine what lens I use, are the availability of light (ambient and strobe) and space; when the elements are aligned, one of my favorite perspective focal length is the normal lens.

Best Regards,
-Son

Last edited:

fotografz

I just sold my H/C 80/2.8 due to total lack of use. The H/C/ 100/2.2 took its place and IMO is the better lens anyway.

The only 80 I ever used much on a MFD camera was the Contax 80/2, which was a superb lenses ... but then, it really wasn't an 80 FOV on the crop frame Kodak back. However, I did use it with 645 film with the Contax ... but not all that much.

carstenw

I have the Contax 645 80/2, which has a nice look, but needs to be stopped down to be sharp. I find myself not using it much at all, since it is not really a standard lens on a 36x48mm sensor. I tend to use the 35mm, 120mm Macro and Hasselblad 110mm the most, in that order, with the 35 and 120 about equally.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Probably my favorite focal on any of my systems. I have both the 80/2.8D for my Mamiya and an older 80 f1.9 manual focus lens and like them both for different occasions: the AF-D lens when I want critical sharp -- and mine is surprisingly sharp at f2.8 and excellent by f4. Then I'll grab the f1.9 lens when I want an old-school look. Usually shoot this one wide open to f4 for the effect, as it loses a lot of its magic after that and never really sharpens up to the AF-D territory -- still very good, just not as great as the AF-D.

Also have a couple of fast 50's I shoot on my FF DSLR for the same reason, notable is the Sigma 50/1.4 for my Canon -- gorgeous rendering on FF DSLR at the wider apertures!

KeithL

I wouldn't be without my HC 80/2.8 for the world. I'm not a great fan of wides for landscape and nature work, they just look so...hmm...well...photographic. Love the natural perspective of standard lenses.

Paratom

I own the Schneider 80/2.8 Xenotar which draws very much to my taste.
Lately I have more often used the 110 Zeiss however I just recently thought I should use the 80 more often. The 110 has a closer minimal focusing distance thats something I sometimes miss when using the 80.

Graham Mitchell

The Rollei 80mm PQS standard lens is a fabulous lens which keeps surprising me with its quality. I just can't fault it in any way. Best part - it only cost me €300 used.

mark1958

I did the same and then picked up the 80mm HC again in a trade. When i am traveling, I do find that I sometimes pack the 80mm because it is very small and lightweight, and can be used with the 1.5HTS, which of course is now a 120mm. I also sometimes use the 80mm when just shooting my dog or some general shots around the house. I find I am using the 80mm now more than I did in the past. I think the 80 is quite good but I do agree the 100mm is a better lens in general. It is a bit sharper and it gives better bokeh especially with a narrower DOF.

I just sold my H/C 80/2.8 due to total lack of use. The H/C/ 100/2.2 took its place and IMO is the better lens anyway.

The only 80 I ever used much on a MFD camera was the Contax 80/2, which was a superb lenses ... but then, it really wasn't an 80 FOV on the crop frame Kodak back. However, I did use it with 645 film with the Contax ... but not all that much.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I never used my Mamiya 80 much and sold it - I think my copy of the 75-150 is as sharp and more versatile - but much heavier of course. (I didn't even buy the std lens for my Sony - just the ZA 24-70.)

On the other hand, I love the Planar on my Rollei. Course, it's a bit hard to change....being a 2.8F!

Bill

Christopher

I just own the 45D, 80D and 150D, well on the other side I don't need anything else, because all three lenses perform stunning. I haven't seen anything better out there, not even some Leica glass.

s.agar

I still have the HC80 lens, which is very sharp. It's also convenient because of its size and AF. Unfortunately with the crop factor of H3DII-31, I tend to use my old Zeiss CF 60mm more.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just own the 45D, 80D and 150D, well on the other side I don't need anything else, because all three lenses perform stunning. I haven't seen anything better out there, not even some Leica glass.
Bill:

I'd agree my 75-150 is almost as good as the prime, but my AF-D is very good at f2.8 which the zoom can't do ;)

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

True, Jack, but as nearly all my MF shooting is trying to maximize DOF, I don't do f2.8! (I might weld the lens to f11!)

If I do need a shallow DOF I'd opt for my Sony with the uncannily sharp 135/1.8.

Now, the 150 D lens I might go for - sounds like a real winner....

Bill

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I hear you Bill, but shallow DoF on MF is different than shallow DoF on regular FF DSLR. Hard to describe, but you know it when you see it :thumbs: