The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy 110mm f2 planar on digital back

R

rastas

Anyone doing it this way? I plan on getting the lens with adapter for use on Mamiya. I'm wondering if the smaller digital chip (as opposed to a large square 6x6 piece of film) takes away from the magic of the lens. I will shoot wide open portraits, and want that shallow depth of field. Any comments or samples from users would be appreciated.

carstenw

I don't have any samples here, but I use this lens (FE Version) on a Sinar e54LV, and really like it. It doesn't lose much of its look on film, which I have also tried. Unfortunately, my adapter does not reach infinity, so I have a feeling that I am not getting everything I can out of this great lens yet. I am vaguely looking for a MAM-1.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It remains magic on digital sensors of any size, though the larger the sensor, the more of the magic you see ;) A side comment offered FWIW: the Mamiya manual focus 80 f1.9 also has some very nice magic of its own, and though not quite the caliber of the Hassy 110, it is certainly less expensive.

JimCollum

It remains magic on digital sensors of any size, though the larger the sensor, the more of the magic you see ;) A side comment offered FWIW: the Mamiya manual focus 80 f1.9 also has some very nice magic of its own, and though not quite the caliber of the Hassy 110, it is certainly less expensive.
i own both the 110 and the 80/1.9 . Highly recommend both lenses (i use them on a Mamiya 645II with an Aptus 75s back.

vignette added in post processing

both from the 110/2

PeterA

The 110/2 in Hasselblad OR Rollie mount is my favourite lens in MF- here it is used on my 205Tcc with CFV11 back.

woodyspedden

Anyone doing it this way? I plan on getting the lens with adapter for use on Mamiya. I'm wondering if the smaller digital chip (as opposed to a large square 6x6 piece of film) takes away from the magic of the lens. I will shoot wide open portraits, and want that shallow depth of field. Any comments or samples from users would be appreciated.
I am currently using my 110 FE on my Leica S2. For a quick example go to the S2 thread in the Leica M forum to see them.

I also used the lens via Novoflex adapters on my NikonD3X. Got outstanding results. Can't compare them to the S2 because the difference in sensors is significant. But I wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

Woody

Graham Mitchell

is there any lens with similar rendering wide open for digital LF from rodenstock or schneider ?
Unlikely, it's one of the fastest medium format lenses ever made. View camera lenses seem to peak at around f4. The only way to get a similar effect with them is to have a much larger sensor/film area, which is not currently an option with digital backs.

Stuart Richardson

With large format film, I would suggest a 210mm APO Symmar L at f/5.6 to f/8. I also have a 1960s 240mm Tele-Xenar f/5.5 that looks similar if you shoot it at f/5.5 to f/8...not as sharp though.
That looks like this (not the greatest photo, but gives you an idea:

If you mean a scanning back by "digital large format", then I would look at these 210-240mm lenses, as they are short telephotos/long normals, just like the 110/2. They are not as fast, but the fact that they are around double the focal length means that they have similar depth of field at times.

Anders_HK

is there any lens with similar rendering wide open for digital LF from rodenstock or schneider ?
For digital back, basically no. How would you be able to accurate focus for small sensor area?

For 4x5 Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 and Zeiss 135mm 3.5 only available used and very $$.

Regards
Anders