The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Perfect tech cam companion ?

miska

Hi !

Sorry if this is slightly OT, but it does fit roughly this forum since it's about a camera to complement my tech cam rig. So here goes.

I am really enjoying my Arca Swiss Factum + IQ160 + 32mm / 50mm / 90mm combo. It's a nice system to hike with, not too heavy or bulky. I'll probably grab a 150mm lens to complete the kit at some point.
But, there are things the tech cam is not suitable - longer focal lengths, quick and dirty shots, for example when you see a cute bird in a tree or a mountain goat somewhere. Soooooo. I need another camera to go with the tech cam.

What I want:
- Small and lightweight. I have also enough Canon gear, but I don't want to lug the 7D+70-200mm f/2.8 in addition to the tech cam. Doesn't have to be pocketable, but also can't eat much space in the camera bag.
- Focal length from something wide-angle-ish (30mm equiv ?) to ~200mm-300mm FF equivalent.
- I don't want a new system. So NO, I will not buy a camera and "a couple of lenses" to cover the wide angle to ~200mm equiv range. I have enough systems... It's one camera, one lens. Period.
- The image quality should not be ridiculous, but I don't need crazy high ISO. I really like sharp from corner to corner pictures, the lens should be pretty good.

I really like my Sony RX-100, but the long end of the zoom is too short. That got me thinking, and the RX-10 seems pretty close to what I want. Another option I see is some micro-four thirds with a single lens (14-140 ?). But I am a bit wary about the image quality of a "super-zoom". I suspect the other compact with built in super-zooms will disappoint with their image quality (optically and sensor-wise). DSLRs are usually a bit too bulky.

Ideas and thoughts ?

Thanks !

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I generally travel with my Alpa / IQ kit and a smaller Fuji X system outfit for more general use. X-T1 with three zooms (10-24, 18-55, 55-200) covers everything I need.

If I didn't have the Fuji already then I'd seriously look at the Olympus OMD E-M1 outfit with associated m4/3 glass - I like that it has a similar image aspect ratio to the MFDB (vs 2:3 with my Fuji). Lots to like about that system IMHO.

You can take any of these just with the longer zoom and be done as a complementary camera.

kdphotography

My tech camera companion is often an IR converted GF1. I sold my normal p&s GF1 probably too early. I found myself in a similar situation looking for a small lightweight companion that takes good pictures. Problem resolved: I met a cute redhead named Stacy. :ROTFL: (Sorry, no coffee yet).

Ok, seriously---I just picked up a small lightweight companion camera with Panasonic's GM1. It's a really tiny but capable M4/3 camera. It's on the big brown van now. I also haven't excluded eventually getting a Sony A7r and limiting myself to a lens or two only. When hiking around with my tech cam kit, I really want to keep weight to a minimum.

:) ken

Last edited:

Paul2660

I also carry the Fuji, now X-T1 as a companion to the rm3di. I carry the 18-55, 60mm and at times the 55-200, also depending on the area I am heading, I might leave the 18-55 and just carry the 14mm and 60mm.

Great camera, lightweight and allows you to get the shots that setup, for the tech camera just is bit too much, (at least for me).

I also looked at the Oly system, but stayed with Fuji mainly due to the 3:2 ration, as I still prefer that look. The Oly seems to be the "KING" now for video, but that is one aspect I current don't have much interest in.

You can find some very good break down reviews on both cameras on various sites.

Only issue I have with the Fuji is the raw conversion, which slowly gets better with C1 and LR. 7.2.1 seems to have a good grip on the greens but still has just a bit of issue with rocks/lichen/patterns etc.

Paul

Don Libby

I went through the same dilemma trying for the "perfect" companion to my tech cam and over the years I tried a Leica M9 then decided what I needed was something better/closer suited to what I normally shoot which is medium format. Sold the M9 and got a Phase One DF (okay not small pocket size) however it allows me the chance to decide where I connect the back. If I'm shooting landscape and have the time, then it goes on the tech cam. If I'm out scouting locations and need something faster or shooting wildlife and need the reach (240 w/2x) then the DF; the great thing is that I'm capturing everything with the same 60-megapixel back.

For really small I also have a NEX7 (and shortly a A7r) converted to IR.

Good luck!

Don

Paul2660

I went through the same dilemma trying for the "perfect" companion to my tech cam and over the years I tried a Leica M9 then decided what I needed was something better/closer suited to what I normally shoot which is medium format. Sold the M9 and got a Phase One DF (okay not small pocket size) however it allows me the chance to decide where I connect the back. If I'm shooting landscape and have the time, then it goes on the tech cam. If I'm out scouting locations and need something faster or shooting wildlife and need the reach (240 w/2x) then the DF; the great thing is that I'm capturing everything with the same 60-megapixel back.

For really small I also have a NEX7 (and shortly a A7r) converted to IR.

Good luck!

Don
I tried this route, but the DF and lenses were way too much to carry plus the tech camera.

Where I find I will pull the Fuji is on Macro, as 16mp will easily get the job done, plus I just love the LCD on the X-T1 being able to turn it to a waist level finder, and thus saving my back.:angel:

I still tend to shoot the Fuji for large shots, i.e. pan it and then combine later, the 18-55 does very well here and for some reason I don't see Parallax issues as much with the 1.5 crop sensor.

Example of why for me:
On average it will take me 5 minutes to setup the tech camera, i.e tripod, mounting camera, then attaching everything. On a full day, I guess after about 4 to 5 hours, my will to do this slackens and if I think I can get it with the Fuji, I will, as I compose, shoot and check all without taking the pack off.

I totally agree with Don on the use of the IQ back however and this year made a decision to always lead with the back. It's my single greatest photographic investment. Thus the D800 stays home, unless I am working a night shoot as I still prefer 35mm DSLR for the way I shoot at night.

However nothing I have ever shoot, Mamiya, Pentax, Contax MF and Nikon and Canon 35mm can reach the degree of image sharpness and overall just good looking shot that I can get with the tech camera.

I will also add that since I have become a over-night convert to tethering, (Wow I could of had a V8) you can use the Spro2 for a waist level finder, not to compose, but to check your shots. If I am setup with the camera in a down low position, I love being able to have the SPro2 in my hand as I can still stand up or kneel and not have to bend down to check the IQ Screen.

(sorry just a bit of topic I know:)

Paul

miska

I think I'll have a closer look at the m4/3 offerings.
Any opinions about the 14-140mm superzooms ? I am still not convinced that I want several lenses for the "small" system.

Thanks for the ideas and keep them coming (and NO, I don't want to hear about the Leica T ;-) )

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sony A7r you still get small but you get some horsepower in a 36mpx sensor . No one has this combination yet.

kdphotography

I know you won't believe this, Guy---never from me :D but Don Libby and I decided that the absolute best solution was to simply buy both the Panasonic GM1 and the Sony A7r... then you can pick what you need when you go out with the tech cam

:D

jlm

Workshop Member
i use the Oly EM-1 with a choice of several zooms from 7 to 300mm, both panasonic and Oly and the 75 oly prime. works for moving subjects also. very nice system

still playing with the A7R sony FE 35, 55 and canon TS for some work shots where the tech cam can't always go

Last edited:

miska

Yes, I've thought about the A7R. I could get that, plus perhaps a lightweight 70-200 f/4 for Canon (I have already good lenses for that system). But I know myself, and I would then also pack the 24-70, "just to be sure". And then I am carrying two systems and it's getting heavy...

kdphotography

...and that's what went through my mind when looking at a "P&S" type camera. The Sony A7r is solid and well-built. Add some lenses and it's a good system in its own right. It can be heavy if your backpack is already filled with tech cam gear.

But when I started really looking at the Panasonic GM1 and saw how small and light it was, while still offering good image quality and interchangeable lenses---I knew that was the better P&S choice for me. If weight in the backpack is a concern, it will be hard to beat the GM1.

I still have the Sony A7r on my wish list, because I think it fills a great niche.

And no self-respecting gear whore should be without choices. :D

ken

Guy Mancuso

If you stick with FE mounted lenses it's the smallest and lightest way to go pretty much. Folks like me are bolting all kinds of high priced heavier gear on them. But you can still build a light kit with help from some M mounts and such. Depends how big a kit you want as a companion. As a second system you just keep your lens whore tendency's in check. I know extremely difficult coming from the CEO of the lens whore club. Lol

Don Libby

Ken and I had a long (very long) conversation yesterday about this. By the way the phone batteries are back to being fully charged,

The A7r packs a huge punch in a small package. Years ago I thought the M9 was "the" perfect companion camera due to sensor and overall size however it wouldn't hold up to print size I'm used to due to lack of resolution of the 18-megapixels. That was the sole reason for going back to the DF. Now I make a decision on whether I pack in the tech or DF, never both.

And then along came the A7r with full frame, 36-megapixels no AA filter etc. etc. I bought one shortly after Sandy switched from Canon to Sony and have since sent it to Life Pixel for a conversion to IR.

In short if the DF/Tech combo isn't working then look at the A7r.

Paul2660

Carrying a A7r, to me would be too tempting. With 16mp Max, I know my limits and thus will use the Tech camera.

However A7r, with adapters to Canon or Nikon lenses, ain't a light weight solution, and with Sony current FE lenses not much lighter either. Plus, A7r with Nikon is MF only. I have plenty of that with the Tech camera. When I pull the Fuji, I usually want AF. I realize that with Canon lenses you still have AF and IS, but it's a lot slower IMO and if you use it it takes a lot of battery. Did I mention batteries? The Sony is pretty hard on them, whereas I can get 2 days or 1 day and night with 1 Fuji.

Horses for courses I guess.

Paul

Don Libby

If you stick with FE mounted lenses it's the smallest and lightest way to go pretty much. Folks like me are bolting all kinds of high priced heavier gear on them. But you can still build a light kit with help from some M mounts and such. Depends how big a kit you want as a companion. As a second system you just keep your lens whore tendency's in check. I know extremely difficult coming from the CEO of the lens whore club. Lol
Heck, I'm using Phase/Mamiya glass and getting great results! :D

Don Libby

It might be the way we use the A7r however we haven't found the batteries to be of any real issue. Then again we don't keep the camera on, have a very short display and never use video. I remember Sandy shooting a couple days in Jackson Hole in March on one battery and we were out for several hours each day.

Guy Mancuso

I have yet to get past 3 batteries in a days shoot. Of course I do have 8 batteries now but there so cheap why not. Of course no questions it's not great on battery life but there is a reason there small and it keeps the camera smaller by design. That's fine by me and having the vertical grip does help here and handholding as well and its light and not very bulky at all.