The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Surface Pro 3 arrived

Paul2660

I think the bigger problem is the model with Firewire 400 is no longer made. As I recall the there are plug adapters to allow a 400 to work with a 800 plug, you still run at the slower 400 speeds.

From looking at their site, I couldn't find a current model with Firewire and a 64 bit OS, version of windows.

If that is still there, then yes, it should work and be a good fit, especially with the screen.

Paul

kdphotography

Imho, the Sahara slate misses the mark. It's weight is over 3 pounds compared to the ~2 pounds of the Surface Pro. At that point and price, I think it would simply be easier to go with a Macbook Air with the confidence that "you know it works" (Firewire/Thunderbolt) albeit not with the ease and form factor of using a Surface Pro and USB3 on location.

I do believe there is another tablet with a suped up PC heritage that I ran across in my research/quest, but it was also pretty expensive.

And with that in mind, shouldn't we all just be encouraging Torger to upgrade to that USB3 capable IQ/Credo series MFDB that he always wanted anyway? :D And think of all the money you'll be saving by buying an inexpensive Surface Pro instead...:ROTFL:

ken

p.s. Seriously, IQ140 or Credo 40 (with USB3) might be within range and with similarly sized sensor to your current MFDB....

lkuhlmann

I have tried the new Surface Pro 3, with the i7 CPU.
This CPU is a real i7, including a fast 40 core GPU - The Intel Pro 5000.

Capture One 7 is running great. Even (sligthly) faster than the newest Macbook Pro - despite the i7 is a low power device. Capture One Icons are a bit small, and the pen is recommended for best control.

-Lionel

Paul2660

A few more tips, and info.

1. If you have a Surface 2, I would recommend you enable "hibernation". This is a feature that Microsoft has had since XP days, created for laptops. The main difference between hibernation and sleep, is that with hibernation, you will totally power off the unit, sleep still has a charge going. In the field, you don't need wifi, bluetooth or anti virus. So I bring up 2 up and disable all of this stuff before I head out, lauch C1 and hibernate the device. Thus when I power on, C1 is there just where I left it and all the other components I don't need are off, and will stay off as long as I select hibernate in the power off options. You will save a considerable amout of battery with this. Also the turning off the wifi helps alot since the connection is no longer actively seeking a connection, which it will do as long as it's on. By default hibernate is not an option on the 2, and you have to enable it under advanced features in power management.

2. As much as I like the Surface pro 3, for a laptop, as Ken first pointed out, it's a bit big around the tripod. You have to be a bit more careful with it when using it tethered in the field. I have gone back to my Surface 2 for now.

3. In outdoor temps of over 95 degrees F, the fan on the Surface 2 will come on. However this doesn't seem to really effect the battery life that much. Extended use in 95 to 100 degree heat seems to task the Surface 2 and will definitely task the Surface 3.
I was testing yesterday with the 2 and IQ260, and after about 20 minutes my IQ260 was almost too hot to touch. Not sure if this is because the Surface 2 was set to charge or not. A back that hot can't be doing that well even at iso 50 in regards to noise.
I have started using the 2 and IQ260 to setup the shot, then go to the card on the IQ260. This does breakup the shoot, but it seems to keep the overall heat down. I have also stopped charging the IQ260 battery when tethered.

4. Sadly, as I thought, the i7 versions are running into overheating issues. These are with both the i7 256 and i7 512. Many users are having issues where the system fan is running a max. Some of the folks are also trying to run high end games on the Surface 3's which I would not try.
My 3 does seem to run the fan during charging, but I have not yet seen the fan run at max any time, but I stayed away from the i7. Microsoft may come up with a design fix in the future.
You can read more about various user issues here:Surface Pro 3 bugs keep coming as overheating complaints arise | PCWorld

Paul

Don Libby

I've been using a SP2 for several months now both as a tether to my WRS as well as a smaller lighter travel computer with great success. I just upgraded to the SP3 this morning and will be taking that with me next week when we return to The Palouse to tether and review daily files and leaving the much larger Dell laptop at home.

Wish me luck!

Don

Now I need to figure out what to do with the SP2....

kdphotography

Guy Mancuso is reviewing and shooting the Credo 50 right now. You know it's only a matter of time before he buys back into a technical camera.

Sooooo, Guy. Have you seen what the Surface Pro can do with a USB3 enabled MFDB like the Credo 50 and mated with a tech camera? I know someone who has a SP2 for sale.... :D

ken

Don Libby

Just finished loading the 3 up to where I want it. The process surprised me due to the cloud backup; got all the little things moved over and then downloaded C1-8. Spent a couple hours setting the thing up and walked away with no eye strain. I've got very high hopes for this.....

rga

Hope you enjoy Don! I just really enjoy mine.
Are you running CP1-8 on it? If so, any issues on your trial tethering/other?
Best,
Bob

Don Libby

Bob, I've had the machine less than 3 hours all of which have been spent setting it up my say (also travel time from the store) so far haven't tried it feathered. And yes running C1-8. At first blush all seems fine...

rga

Thanks Don. Sorry to be impatient. Hope to hear all goes well with your trip!

Just curious: IQ1 or 2?
Thanks and have fun,
Bob

Don Libby

Went out earlier this morning testing the Hartblie on my 7r full spectrum. Got home and found the rest of my SP3 orders had arrived. I'm now using the full size keyboard as well as the "docking" station. After setting everything up it was very easy to plug a USB 3 card reader and thumbdrive and begin transferring files before opening C1-8 and actually do some light processing, saving everything to the thumbdrive. The test today was seeing how well the SP3 performed in being able to actually see the images and doing light post. Glad I got the 256-7 (I pulled the 256 card from the 2 and am using it here for extra drive storage). No issues with WiFi or heat or fan or actually anything.

Next test will be tomorrow seeing how well it does with the IQ160 files.

Sitting in an easy chair with the SP3 on my lap typing this. Can't get over the light weight and over all form factor. I'll be doing some tethering soon although we have super crappy skies now and the urge to do any sort of landscape work escapes me.

Don

Ken, you need to upgrade! :angel:

It's been pointed out I screwed up the spelling of the Hartblei. Thank you Mr. Gilbert...

Added thought Oct 1st - the keyboard is much better than what I have on the SP2; both are the type keyboards, the newer one feels much more like a "real" keyboard and the mouse track is much better more responsive as good as my larger laptop.

Last edited:

Don Libby

Thanks Don. Sorry to be impatient. Hope to hear all goes well with your trip!

Just curious: IQ1 or 2?
Thanks and have fun,
Bob

Bob, finally got around to testing the tethering this morning. IT WORKS GREAT!

I've decided not to wrap this inside a case instead just letting it all hang out. The SP3 is slightly longer yet thinner and I feel it fits much better in the Arkon mount.

I was so confident this would work I placed the SP2 for sale before I tested the 3 this morning.

Don

rga

Terrific Don!! Great news. I may upgrade to C1-8 today.
Have a great time shooting. I'll have to look into what an Arkon mount is: if you have a link, I'd be appreciative.
Bob

Don Libby

Terrific Don!! Great news. I may upgrade to C1-8 today.
Have a great time shooting. I'll have to look into what an Arkon mount is: if you have a link, I'd be appreciative.
Bob
In order not to reinvent the wheel I'd suggest you go to Ken Doo's blog where he spells everything out and includes links. I also think those links are here as well on the thread he began regarding the SP and tethering.

I really like 8.1 - so much so that I have it on all 3-of my computers!

kdphotography

Bob,

Just for simplicity: Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2: A Game Changer for Phase One IQ Series and Leaf Credo Medium Format Digital Backs | Kendoophotography's Blog

A shopping list for tethering with the Surface Pro is at the bottom of the blog article. Not all items have links, but you can easily copy/paste to search for the items on Amazon. The model number/description for the Arkon clamp is complete on the blog.

ken

p.s. Don's Surface Pro 2 is for sale here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/52027-sale-surface-pro-2-$675-00-a.html if anyone wants an inexpensive entry into tethering with Phase IQ/Credo MFDBs. It really is an extension of the LCD touch screen and is a great addition. WiFi can't compete with what the Surface Pro offers! :)

rga

Why this forum is so amazing! Thank you both Don and Ken!! And for all the great folks and companies who support this site. Thank you thank you!!

Bob,

Just for simplicity: Microsoft’s Surface Pro 2: A Game Changer for Phase One IQ Series and Leaf Credo Medium Format Digital Backs | Kendoophotography's Blog

A shopping list for tethering with the Surface Pro is at the bottom of the blog article. Not all items have links, but you can easily copy/paste to search for the items on Amazon. The model number/description for the Arkon clamp is complete on the blog.

ken

p.s. Don's Surface Pro 2 is for sale here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/52027-sale-surface-pro-2-$675-00-a.html if anyone wants an inexpensive entry into tethering with Phase IQ/Credo MFDBs. It really is an extension of the LCD touch screen and is a great addition. WiFi can't compete with what the Surface Pro offers! :)

kdphotography

You can also click on the Amazon banner at the top of the GetDPI page when you search/shop for Surface Pro tethering items, which will also help support GetDPI.

;) ken