The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss or Nikkor Primes?

deepdiver

Very nice Andree. I would not expect more from a Leica. Any hint about the ZF 28/2?
ZF 28/2 i just pick up mine last sunday :)
It's a very nice lens, very sharp even at wide open F2.
I still dont have a change to try it for outdoor pictorial. I would love to see how it's perform.
Hopefully the weather is nice this weekend, therefore i can try it out :)

Andree

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Andree, looking so much forward to read about your impressions with the ZF 2/28mm, and especially whether it is on par with the ZF 2/35mm which everybody is highly praising, and also I have seen some very impressive ZF 2/35mm images, I think they were taken by Jorge Torralba.
So if it is not too much to ask for, it would be great if you would show us a couple of comparable shots followed by 100 % crops from the 35mm and the 28mm ? Otherwise please just tell us about your findings.
If the 28mm is as great as the 35mm I might prefer the 28mm focal length for my D300 since I already have the 1.4/50mm.
Of course I could have all the three above mentioned focal lengths covered by the new Nikkor 24-70mm zoom ? Decisions, decisions. Not easy to be someone ... :)

deepdiver

Alrgiht Bondo!
I will be out for 2 days, to do pre-wedding pictorial.
I will use 28/2 and i will crop 100% for you :)
just give me a bit of time, i will post some example over here
Andree ^^

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello Guy, yes I was talking to Jim at Brightscreen only yesterday. He has most of the different designs available for the D300, and he has included a Proscreen for the D3 in my latest order (got one of the 24 TS lenses coming, probably early next week).

as the D3 is a pro camera, I expect that the AF and MF paths will be accurately calibrated (like the !Ds series, and not like the 5Ds!). I will let you know how the Proscreen goes in the D3.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great Kit looking to hearing reports on that. Nice to see you have a moment to drop in and give a helping hand my friend. Always a pleasure to hear from you, we have been down a few paths together.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Guy, that cracked me up!!!! I still remember the first lens I bought from you (that incredible Apo 90/2). And there have been one or two other great moments! :)

I do have more time now; I have had the most amazing 18 months with my teacher (including him living with me here in Canberra for six months; talk about being under the blowtorch!) and it was fantastic. And to think that in the same timeframe Nikon released the D3, D300 and the two zooms—makes you believe in Santa Claus.

Good times ahead, despite the madness everywhere. Warm regards to all, Kit

rayyan

If you want afs, zf is out.

My experience is as follows:

50mm zf = nikkor

50mm zf makro > nikkor 50/1.4 or 60mm micro/2.8
35mm zf > nikkor 35/2
25mm zf > nikkor 24 ( zf 25 not as good as the zf 35 )

85mm Zf <= nikkor 85/1.4

100mm zf makro is superb

105mm , i prefer the nikkoe 105/2 dc

while the 105 nikkor vr is excellent, i still prefer my 105/2.8 nikkor

28mm: zf ( i do not have ), I have the nikkor 28/1.4...try an old nikkor 30/1.4 manual instead. the 28/1.4 is not sharp wide open on my system
and really shines at slightly further distances.

Regards

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This is still an open issue IMHO but needs to be evaluated in a contact of the D3. Why would Leica "fan boys and girls" convert to a Nikon system? Maybe the DMR just doesn t cut it against a modern design. But IMHO for pure image quality ..its not even close..the DMR blows away everything short of MF. Whats missing in the Leica alternative....(1) auto focus (2) high quality lower cost zoom lenses and long telephotos (3) great flash solutions. The best in class noise management is really helpful with sports and low light event photography. And the image quality is exceptional ...my guess is that with an excellent raw conversion...you might not even miss the Leica file. But thats not why photographers are converting to Nikon..its the autofocus/VR capabilities. So did I answer my own question...no because you can have both ...3 fast primes (either Nikkors or Zeiss ZF s ) can be had new for around $2500 less than a 28 Summicron. And they are necessary to really take advantage of the high ISO capabilities . Since cost is about equal ....its two factors ..(1)image quality ..which is primarily the "look factors" ..sharpness is excellent across the board and (2) auto focus verse manual in low light . If I want brilliant images in good light or with flash ...the 24-70 should cover it. So this is really pretty subjective and not based on absolute lens performance. Just one point of view.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Roger part of the issue is there is no DMR anymore readily available. The R10 is a year out and Leica is giving us no clues as to what that is. Only game in town new at the moment is Nikon. Oh and some toys just showed up, need to play:ROTFL:

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Comments on the post above, from my POV, having owned all the lenses mentioned:

My experience is as follows:

50mm zf = nikkor
IMHO, the ZF 50/2 is better than the Nikko 50/1.4 stopped down to ƒ2

50mm zf makro > nikkor 50/1.4 or 60mm micro/2.8
Agree

35mm zf > nikkor 35/2
Agree

25mm zf > nikkor 24 (zf 25 not as good as the zf 35 )
Agree, but ZF 25 has different look and very close focussing despite no floating element—but not different enough to keep, for me.

85mm Zf <= nikkor 85/1.4
I bought yet another copy of the 85/1.4 (Nikkor) recently and to be honest, it really is not as good (these days) as it has been seen to be, in the past. I will sell this and get the Nikkor 85/1.8. DOF and bokehdifference is trivial, IMHO. When I shot film and available light, I used a MF Nikkor 85/2, and it was razor sharp wide open, which is how I used it 95% of the time.

I have not owned the current ZF 85/1.4 I did buy the hugely expensive Contax RTS system when I was shooting the dance and theatre stuff all those years ago, just to be able to use the Zeiss 85/1.4, and I was very disappointed in it. Might have been sample variation (and no one then would head of swapping my copy for another to test) and the Nikkor was noticeably sharper at ƒ2 than the Zeiss at the same aperture. I do not know if the current ZF is a different lens, but it looks very similar to me. Others may assist here.

100mm zf makro is superb
No one can say too good things about this lens: it is the best I own on the D3. cheers, kl