The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF Lenses: Can we start the definitive thread?

Godfrey

Only small contribution I can make to this thread is that of all my Nikkor manual focus lenses over the thirty years I was shooting with Nikon gear, the Nikkor 105/2.5 AI-S consistently wow'ed me far more than other lenses in this focal length class from Leica (M system), Zeiss (Contax system), Minolta or Pentax that I used alongside it. And the Nikkor 20mm f/3.5 AI and AI-S series lenses remain amongst the nicest 20mm lenses I've used ... still using one of those.

I have little to no experience with the modern Nikon AF lenses or with the ZFs.

woodyspedden

I now shoot almost exclusively with the ZF lenses on my D3X body.

I have virtually no problems focusing and at 72 years old my eyes are certainly not what they used to be.

My favorites are the 28mm, 50 Makro, and 100 Makro. I find the image quality to be extraordinary. I also have the 18mm and the 35mm. I may sell the 18mm and buy instead the now released 21 Distagon.

Toting a bagful of these lenses is no more problematic (size, weight etc) than toting the 14-24, 28-70, and 70-200! Those zooms are also extremely good but not quite up to the ZF lenses IMHO

Hope this helps

Woody

tjv

I think I've been noticing curvature of field with the 35mm ZF, but I'm not sure. It seems most problematic wide open (of course) but I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is more poor off center performance wide open than COF. I'm so used to exceptional wide open performance from my Mamiya 7 kit and especially modern Leica glass I'm probably not sure what I'm exactly seeing! Is the 35mm ZF known for COF or am I being fussy and actually seeing normal fall off?

Woody, it seems you have the two other ZF lenses I want to complete my standard doco work kit. 28 and 50mm Makro. I have the 24-70mm Nikon, which is amazing for what it is, but the 35mm ZF is a step above. When looking through the viewfinder of a D3 I was surprised how much bigger and, I'm pretty sure, brighter it was than the D700's. I guess the D3X is in the same league and may be easier to focus without aids. Today I received my brightscreen focusing screen replacement. I got the diagonal split image and larger fenzel plus 8x10 crop marks. I've got a feeling it might be a bit crowded but I'll wait and see - a local tech is installing it and checking focus etc for me. I can always take it out if needed.

Woody, how about posting some shots done with that 50mm Makro of yours? I'd love to see them, especially from a D3x.

Thanks.

Tim

woodyspedden

I think I've been noticing curvature of field with the 35mm ZF, but I'm not sure. It seems most problematic wide open (of course) but I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is more poor off center performance wide open than COF. I'm so used to exceptional wide open performance from my Mamiya 7 kit and especially modern Leica glass I'm probably not sure what I'm exactly seeing! Is the 35mm ZF known for COF or am I being fussy and actually seeing normal fall off?

Woody, it seems you have the two other ZF lenses I want to complete my standard doco work kit. 28 and 50mm Makro. I have the 24-70mm Nikon, which is amazing for what it is, but the 35mm ZF is a step above. When looking through the viewfinder of a D3 I was surprised how much bigger and, I'm pretty sure, brighter it was than the D700's. I guess the D3X is in the same league and may be easier to focus without aids. Today I received my brightscreen focusing screen replacement. I got the diagonal split image and larger fenzel plus 8x10 crop marks. I've got a feeling it might be a bit crowded but I'll wait and see - a local tech is installing it and checking focus etc for me. I can always take it out if needed.

Woody, how about posting some shots done with that 50mm Makro of yours? I'd love to see them, especially from a D3x.

Thanks.

Tim
Will do Tim in a couple of days. Right now I am booked solid (Damned!)

Woody

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The new ZF.2 range will certainly make the workflow easier without having to remember to select the correct lens configuration. :thumbup:

Btw, did anyone read anything into the "We will offer the ZF series as long as the demand lasts" quote at the end of the press release? It seems a strange comment to make.

tjv

Damn it! Almost completed my kit and now they announce it! Such is life, I guess. I actually never thought I'd say this but I'd prefer to use the aperture dial on the D700 rather than the lens if for no other reason than user continuity between lenses. It would sure be good not to have to input lens data too.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Lens data is one click away (FN button)
Love the aperture ring with the MF lenses since you already have your hand there anyhow (and that's great for video users, too).
Never use the Program Mode.

Sounds like the only interest here for me would be the 1.8/35 instead of f2, might get one in the future to complete this focal range... even though i get around pretty well today with a downsized 21+50+105 kit.

What about the half stops btw?
Hopefully there'll still be available from the body dial, they're nice to have handy in the studio.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) Btw, did anyone read anything into the "We will offer the ZF series as long as the demand lasts" quote at the end of the press release? It seems a strange comment to make.
I guess it just means that they realize that as soon as the new BIG-tweener sensor format Sony-R with a wide range of Zeiss manufactured ZR autofocus lenses at agressively competitive prices is realeased the demand for ZF, ZS, ZK, and ZE lenses will dry out and these lines will eventually be discontinued ... :angel:

GrahamWelland

I guess it just means that they realize that as soon as the new BIG-tweener sensor format Sony-R with a wide range of Zeiss manufactured ZR autofocus lenses at agressively competitive prices is realeased the demand for ZF, ZS, ZK, and ZE lenses will dry out and these lines will eventually be discontinued ... :angel:
Hmm, wishful thinking perhaps?

While Nikon are still producing F mount cameras there will always be a market for ZF lenses. I don't see that market saturating really.

etrigan63

I was wondering what was taking them so long to do this with Nikon. CV did it with their SL II lenses and CZ came out with chipped lenses for for Canon first. Now CV has Canon chipped SL II's and CZ has Nikon chipped ZF's. Conspiracy perhaps? :rolleyes:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Zeiss announced today the updated ZF.2 line of lenses, now chipped for Nikon. 'Bout time.

Link
Very good news. That means that I can get metering with my D80 and could consider buying a D90 instead of a D300s. Nicer size for my use, and the price difference would allow for one Zeiss lens :)

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Now if they could only produce AF versions of the ZF.2 lenses I'm sure there would be a veritable stampede of folks wanting Zeiss glass on their Nikons.

I believe the reason we don't have AF Zeiss glass is due to Nikon patents - that said, how come Tamron/Sigma manage to produce and sell Nikon AF glass?

GrahamWelland

How about the nikon d5000? Does the chipped lenses afford metering and focus confirm?
I'm no expert on AI lenses but I think it would. Technically the ZF.2 should be equivalent to an AI-P lens (AI + CPU) which is supported by the D5000.

etrigan63

It's not patents directly, it's licensing. Nikon has to license CZ to produce AF lenses. At least that's what the CZ Sales Manager told me a PhotoPlus.

edwardkaraa

Manual focus lenses are superior according to Zeiss philosophy. They resisted so much making AF lenses for Contax, to the point that they forced Kyocera to make an AF body, the AX, by moving the film plate :D

This didn't stop them later on making AF lenses for the Contax N and 645, and now for Sony. My guess is that, if they will ever make AF lenses for other mounts, it would be in full cooperation with the camera manufacturer.

tjv

I heard that CZ once invested a huge amount of RnD in developing an auto focus system of lenses for Hasselblad but Hasselblad decided they weren't interested and discerning customers didn't want such technology. CZ then vowed not to work with them on such projects again. Kind of crazy, like Leica inventing AF then selling the patent to Minolta...

Off topic, and largely based around internet "facts," but interesting none the less...