The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF Lenses: Can we start the definitive thread?

tjv

Another question:
How does one program the D700 so different Non CPU lenses can be selected through quick custom function buttons? I've lost my instructions...

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Another question:
How does one program the D700 so different Non CPU lenses can be selected through quick custom function buttons? I've lost my instructions...
Custom Setting Menu >> f (Controls) >> f5 (Assign FN Button) >> FUNC button + dials >> Choose Non-CPU lens number > OK

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
It's not patents directly, it's licensing. Nikon has to license CZ to produce AF lenses. At least that's what the CZ Sales Manager told me a PhotoPlus.
I believe it's not a license as such, or at least not only a license, but access to the Nikon's source codes etc. Some of the third party manufacturers actually design the interface by reverse engineering, which sometimes causes problems when Nikon makes changes at their (the body) end. I believe that was the case with some Sigma lenses and the D200.

etrigan63

I believe it's not a license as such, or at least not only a license, but access to the Nikon's source codes etc. Some of the third party manufacturers actually design the interface by reverse engineering, which sometimes causes problems when Nikon makes changes at their (the body) end. I believe that was the case with some Sigma lenses and the D200.
Quite possibly true. It could also have been a case of the Sales Manager "dumbing down" the situation to simplify the answer he gave me. I think CZ wants to avoid the Sigma issues and develop in full cooperation with the camera maker.

D

ddk

I was told the same thing regarding licensing issues 3 years ago by the man in charge of US, I don't see why they all have to lie...

T

tetsrfun

How does the optical performance of MF CZ lens with an "F" adapter compare to a ZF of similar focal length?

Steve

edwardkaraa

How does the optical performance of MF CZ lens with an "F" adapter compare to a ZF of similar focal length?

Steve
Beside the fact that Contax lenses cannot be adapted to Nikon, the ZF line consists of either improved Contax versions, or totally new designs that did not exist for Contax.

T

tetsrfun

Beside the fact that Contax lenses cannot be adapted to Nikon, the ZF line consists of either improved Contax versions, or totally new designs that did not exist for Contax.
I should have specified Hasselblad CZ...Is there "optical" reason to use, for example, a 110 f/2 FE or a 180 F/4 with a Nikon?

Steve

edwardkaraa

I should have specified Hasselblad CZ...Is there "optical" reason to use, for example, a 110 f/2 FE or a 180 F/4 with a Nikon?

Steve
There are certainly some advantages like no vignetting whatsoever and uniform sharpness all over the frame. The ZF line does not go above 100mm FL anyway so the 180mm may be a good idea.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Very good news. That means that I can get metering with my D80 and could consider buying a D90 instead of a D300s. Nicer size for my use, and the price difference would allow for one Zeiss lens :)
Jorgen, if you are going for Manual Focusing I suggest you take a very close look at the viewfinders, side by side. The D90 viewfinder may be a challenge for MF ?
I don't know how big the difference is to the D300 viewfinder, but according to the specifications they are not the same.
I use the D300 with ZF lenses, and I even want to upgrade to a D3/D700 at some point, just to get the bigger and brighter viewfinder. I don't care all that much about sensor size, for me the viewfinder is the crucial part.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Jorgen, if you are going for Manual Focusing I suggest you take a very close look at the viewfinders, side by side. The D90 viewfinder may be a challenge for MF ?
I don't know how big the difference is to the D300 viewfinder, but according to the specifications they are not the same.
I use the D300 with ZF lenses, and I even want to upgrade to a D3/D700 at some point, just to get the bigger and brighter viewfinder. I don't care all that much about sensor size, for me the viewfinder is the crucial part.
Steen,
Compared to the D300, there's hardly any difference:

D300 has 100% coverage and 0.94% magnification
D90 has 96% coverage and 0.96% magnification

That's less than 2% difference in viewfinder size. I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same prism, but masked and magnified differently. The S5, which I regularly use for manual focusing has 95% coverage and 0.94x magnification, which is 3% smaller than the D90.

The main disadvantages using the D90 vs. the D300s are ergonomics and autofocus, at least for my use. But half the price and smaller size are valid arguments as well :)

The D90 will still not meter with my AIS lenses though :(

At the moment, an m4/3 camera is on top of my priority list, but it's a very flexible list :D

tjv

Just received the 50mm Planar f1.4 as an interim lens until I can afford the Markro-Planar. I've got to say I'm quite impressed. It's soft wide open but by f2.8 it's very good indeed. Just an initial impression, but so far so good.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I now shoot almost exclusively with the ZF lenses on my D3X body.

Woody
Woody

Now that I am in Florida I am back to my Nikon kit that I can take to the Ocean....got the D3X from Marc and use mostly the ZF lenses.

I think I might have asked you this before...but did you ever find a better screen than the standard Nikon matte screen?

tjv

A few notes after shooting a bit more with the 50mm f1.4 Planar.
It's bloody soft wide open! I'm not used to this coming from modern Leica ASPH glass. I'd only use the Planar wide open in an absolute pinch or for that "ethereal" effect. CA is a problem - again I never really saw this with Leica glass - but can be handled to a point in post. From 2.8 it's super sharp and I actually don't mind the OOF areas, even when wide open. All in all, not in the same brilliant mind blowing optics league as the 50mm Summilux ASPH M or Summicron M, but at not even a 1/4 the price of the 'lux, who can complain? If I start using the Nikon more for personal doco work in the future I'll get the Makro-Planar, but for now the Planar is pretty sweet.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A few notes after shooting a bit more with the 50mm f1.4 Planar.
It's bloody soft wide open! I'm not used to this coming from modern Leica ASPH glass. I'd only use the Planar wide open in an absolute pinch or for that "ethereal" effect. CA is a problem - again I never really saw this with Leica glass - but can be handled to a point in post. From 2.8 it's super sharp and I actually don't mind the OOF areas, even when wide open. All in all, not in the same brilliant mind blowing optics league as the 50mm Summilux ASPH M or Summicron M, but at not even a 1/4 the price of the 'lux, who can complain? If I start using the Nikon more for personal doco work in the future I'll get the Makro-Planar, but for now the Planar is pretty sweet.
What raw converter are you using? I found that Nikon Capture NX2 in particular was able to dial out CA even with ZF glass. Capture One also does a good job. ACR ... not a fan at all ...

tjv

Yeah, well, I'm using Lightroom 2 / ACR, and from what I've read it's not as good with CA compared to the others. Will be interesting to see how Lightroom 3 improves things. I've never used NX2 as it doesn't fit with my archiving workflow.

woodyspedden

Woody

Now that I am in Florida I am back to my Nikon kit that I can take to the Ocean....got the D3X from Marc and use mostly the ZF lenses.

I think I might have asked you this before...but did you ever find a better screen than the standard Nikon matte screen?
Roger

Sorry it took me so long to respond.

I haven't done much experimenting with various screens for the D3 or D3X (only two Nikon bodies I own now). When I was shooting Canon I tried a number of screens as I was mostly shooting various adapted lenses, mostly Contax. I felt the large prism introduced some serious metering issues and caused the workflow to be very slow. So when I went back to Nikon (thank God!) I simply tried and tried until i felt confident I could hit the focus pretty rapidly and of course the metering was now spot on.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Woody

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Woody

Thanks I am not having any issues with the D3x. Now that I am using it daily I can nail the focus with the std screen. I am shooting almost exclusively with the D3x and the zeiss Zf lenses and a converted leica R 180/2.8 67mm . M9 s are not for the beach.

We have had good surf all season .....so the street is the beach ! :D

Roger

woodyspedden

Roger

Really nice series. The focus is on the light and catches the mood of surfing moreso than the details. I really like the results

Happy New year

Woody