The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss ZF Lenses: Can we start the definitive thread?

Y Sol

Here's a shot I made with the ZF 85mm on D3x at F5,6. I bought the lens some days ago and I need to do some more testing. But what I see till now is:
this lens is far from perfect, there are some focus shift problems (between 1-2,5m at F2,0-4,0) and the closest distance to focus is only 1 meter which is not close enough for a good portrait lens (Nikon: 0,8m). I'll need some more time next week to shoot some portraits and I also hope to do a comparison between the Nikkor F1,4/85mm AF and the ZF.

Y Sol

Last edited:

tjv

The more I shoot with the two ZF lenses I have, the more I like them. I love the 35mm ZF. It's stunningly sharp and has great character, and I really like the 50mm Planar. I think the Planar has a bad wrap which to a large degree is unjustified, but it does have a lot of CA noticeable under certain conditions, and it's very soft wide open. I can only imagine how good the Makro-Planar is - the Planar is a stop gap for me and the Makro-Planar will no doubt come my way in due course. Best of all, I really enjoy using these lenses on my D700. When I sold my Leica kit I was really worried I wouldn't enjoy photographing people like I did with my little M lenses and camera. I needn't have worried, the manual, tactile experience is very good with the ZF lenses and the results speak for themselves. I may even splash soon on a ZF 28mm if the bank lets me...

episa

I have been using the ZF 35mm on my D700 for 2 years now and it remains my best landscape lens. It always enhances the colors and brilliance of the scene like no other lens and the sharpenss is stunning.

episa