The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Brightscreen for D700

tjv

Just wondering if any of you have experience with the Matte Brightscreen focusing screen replacement for the D700. Does it make the viewfinder brighter and easier to manual focus? Could I install it myself or do I need to get a technician to do it?
Thanks.
Tim

Last edited:
D

ddk

I've had several different Brightscreens in different bodies and disliked them all! I highly recommend KatzEye's matte screens over theirs, which I now have installed in all my cameras. The matte only isn't listed on their site but they have it if you contact them. It has a higher contrast than stock which goes a long way helping you with mf. Additionally you should look into a DK-17m magnifying eyepiece too. There are instructions for changing your screen on KE's site.

tjv

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've ordered a Brightscreen Proscreen with diagonal split image and frenzel as well as 8x10 crop marks. Could be pretty cramped as I see the frenzel is 13mm in diameter. The stock D700 screen is okay but I'd like the extra focus indicators as I don't like using the electronic focus confirmation light. The linked thread does freak me out a little but I've heard so many good things about these replacement screens I thought I'd take a risk and just suck it up if it turns out not to be the best option.

Just a question though. I was under the impression the light metering may only be affected negatively when using spot mode with slower lenses, but not when using matrix or center weighted. From reading the thread, this may not be true? Can anyone comment on this?

tjv

I posted this in another thread but thought it may also belong here incase someone can contribute some answers / advise...

Hi Bondo, thanks for the reply.
I thought that might be the case but I was hoping I could get rid of it all together and only have it appear when half pressing the shutter to take a light reading. Oh well. The split prism is in fact wide enough to allow for slightly off center framing and the frenzel (sp?) is very useful as its 13mm in diameter and easy to use. I'm impressed with the screen overall, though I am disappointed about the not being able to get rid of the focus patch.
But... The Frenzel doesn't seem to be anywhere near accurate. I don't know if this is a shim issue or, even worse, a decentered lens?

Brightscreen actually sent me the wrong screen, which I only found out after having it installed. I wanted 8x10 crop etchings but instead was sent a basic grid. Also, and this concerns me more, but I'm not sure if the manual focus was calibrated properly in the first place as it seems on distances further than 1.5 meters I'm getting significant back focus issues. The problem is that I'm pretty sure I was getting the same problem with the stock screen. I thought it must have been my eyes so I was relying on the electronic focus confirmation, which vastly improved things and seemed accurate enough for me not to worry.
On the other side of things, I'm wondering if it could be a lens issue. The only MF lens I have is the Zeiss ZF 35mm and it seems, when reading off the distance scale on the lens when focused, it isn't accurate at all. It reads further than the intended point of focus is.

Anyway, so I'm returning the screen (if they accept it) and getting it changed for the 8x10 mask I wanted. The Frenzel patch doesn't seem accurate and I'm getting bad back focus...

Help!

Amin

I bought my D700 from Brightscreen, and their screen wasn't properly calibrated for focus. I had them swap the body for a new D700 with the stock screen, and for me that was much easier and more precise to focus than their split image-microprism collar screen had been.

tjv

I had the local technician run some diagnostics for me today. Conclusion - the Brightscreen was WAY OFF when using the split image and collar but perfect when using the surrounding matte area. The old stock screen has been put back in and focus is perfect again... I've written this email to Brightscreen asking for a refund or replacement. We'll see how it goes.

Hello again.
Please find below an email I sent you last night regarding my focusing screen.
Further to that email, I have taken my camera back to the technician to have the screen removed. While with him he ran some diagnostics with the screen installed to try determine why I was getting a focus error when using the new screens split image and microprism collar. When the split image was aligned I was experiencing significant back focus. The same back focus also resulted when using the microprism collar. When using the outside matte surface to focus there were no focus issues present, which suggested to him there was something wrong with the screen. I understand you can fine tune the focus of the screen using shims but this would then throw out the surrounding matte area, which I'm not prepared to do. Is this normal performance from your screens? If so, I would like either a refund or to change my order to a plain Brightscreen with 8x10 crop marks and no focus aids. With the stock Nikon screen reinstalled, focus is 100%. How can I send my screen back to you? I assume you will pay for postage?
Regards.
Tim

stenrasmussen

I got the Brightscreen for my D3 and it sucks. Now got a modified Canon EC-B installed which works much better. Spot metering still affected but useabel. The matte area is much better than Nikon's - images pop into focus.

charlesphoto

I got the Brightscreen for my D3 and it sucks. Now got a modified Canon EC-B installed which works much better. Spot metering still affected but useabel. The matte area is much better than Nikon's - images pop into focus.
I could have told you that. I'm stuck with one of these as well. can't even give it away. Oh well...

D

ddk

don't want to say it but I did tell you that Brightscreen sucks...

I had the local technician run some diagnostics for me today. Conclusion - the Brightscreen was WAY OFF when using the split image and collar but perfect when using the surrounding matte area. The old stock screen has been put back in and focus is perfect again... I've written this email to Brightscreen asking for a refund or replacement. We'll see how it goes.

Hello again.
Please find below an email I sent you last night regarding my focusing screen.
Further to that email, I have taken my camera back to the technician to have the screen removed. While with him he ran some diagnostics with the screen installed to try determine why I was getting a focus error when using the new screens split image and microprism collar. When the split image was aligned I was experiencing significant back focus. The same back focus also resulted when using the microprism collar. When using the outside matte surface to focus there were no focus issues present, which suggested to him there was something wrong with the screen. I understand you can fine tune the focus of the screen using shims but this would then throw out the surrounding matte area, which I'm not prepared to do. Is this normal performance from your screens? If so, I would like either a refund or to change my order to a plain Brightscreen with 8x10 crop marks and no focus aids. With the stock Nikon screen reinstalled, focus is 100%. How can I send my screen back to you? I assume you will pay for postage?
Regards.
Tim

tjv

don't want to say it but I did tell you that Brightscreen sucks...
Yeah, I know. I just heard so many conflicting opinions about all the brands that I made a snap decision. Oh well, live and learn. :deadhorse:

tjv

No, I don't think they do. I'm not sure about the D3 but with the D700 you can't turn off the focus point square, only move it to other points within the limits of the AF sensor. This really annoyed me with the split prism because it was in the way and I didn't want to move it off center in case I wanted to double check my focus with the ERF. I would have liked the large microprism if it had of been in calibration with my camera but it wasn't.