The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 85mm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I see something bad though check this out the refrig. was stainless steel and reflecting a lot of light look around his hat . Shot 85mm at 1.4

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I've seen that kind of chromatic aberration with my 12-24 too. Did you try fixing it in lightroom or PS?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
honestly, would any lens be able to avoid some purple fringing under conditions like that at f1.4 ?

Guy Mancuso

This is true and i actually think it is more sensor bloom than anything else and pretty sure that is what it is. Purple usually is sensor bloom

Guy Mancuso

Look at this 105 macro shot of Drake shot at F3 . I did use my sharpening on it which it really did not need. I have to say this is huge surprise for a 750 dollar lens. this lens screams sharpness and has nice bokeh too

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Guy Are you finding the Nikon s down a notch in contrast and color saturation from the Leicas. I played around with my first few hundred images and built a preset for lightroom..not sophisticated but using clarity,luminousity,strong contrast and a sharpening preset. This makes a big difference and to my eye ...they are more like the M8 images. Again this isn t my area but I thought my D3 images looked flat out of the box. Sharpness is all that I could want .

Guy Mancuso

They have some punch but not as much as the Leica's per say . The D300 without testing seems a little less DR by about a stop and that maybe too much. I am going to do some comparisions with the 2 bodies for this purpose alone. They are different but I do like what I see. The D3 maybe the DR stretch that it has over the D300 which gives it a flatter look . But with the new tools in the raw processor's we can make up for a lot

Guy Mancuso

Call me crazy but David bought my Nikon 85 and i am going to try the Zeiss even though i have been warned on the focusing with the D300.

I'm looking to get more like the Leica 80 lux or Leica 75 lux. i have a very sharp 105mm so looking for the glow

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Try it before you buy it ... anyone in your neighbourhood with a ZF 1.4/85mm ?
If only I lived in the US you could borrow mine, but Denmark is a tad peripheral :)

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Guy, I noticed a touch of the blooming also at wide open apertures with the 85 and the 28. It just may be the trade off Nikon has made with these new sensors. With higher ISO levels, most users are probably happy sticking a f2.8 zoom on the camera and will never worry about a little purple that creeps in at fast speeds in very bright conditions.

Kurt