The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

3D Active lighting

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Well I had to try it and it works pretty good . I set the camera in manual exposure and shot for the sun. i did not use a tripod so i am off on framing a little . Okay shoot me. LOL

So the first one is 3D active off than i go low, normal than high. Key area is watch the shadow on the flower pot open up and also on the left opening up in the shade. In my neck of the woods the Sun is hot and bright so this maybe a handy tool. Now of course i can make adjustments in LR and accomplish the same thing but it is there if you want it and for jpeg shooters a nice option.

Guy Mancuso

Now i should point out as i kept getting higher in the settings the sky kept starting to blow more. so you really have to be careful and watch your highlight warning or histogram. The issue is you can take it too far and never recover your highlights. You can see the sky getting lighter as i go

Guy Mancuso

Now watch this the 3D off (the first image) than me working it in LR , added the fill and brought up the recovery to bring the sky back down. Like i said you can do this in LR but it is a neat feature for jpeg folks.

Guy Mancuso

What is nice is the files have some juice and you can work them. Maybe not as much as my M8 or D3 but still you can get there pretty good

Guy Mancuso

Okay that was that and this is the Nikon D300 with the 17-35 zoom at ISO 320 than the next one was my M8 with 35 cron version IV at ISO 320. I put them at 320 so they had exactly the same ISO and i shot on manual mode exactly the same shutter and aperture. As predicted the leica is warmer out of the can and looks to have more DR but the Nikon is more accurate in color balance . Just a quick test to see the DR . i would have to get serious to make a real call , but nice casual observation.

leica than Nikon

Guy Mancuso

And the answer is about a stop difference in DR which gives the M8 the edge. BTW that is plus 9 in LR . So the D300 to match the DR or mid tones that would be a starting point. Not bad for a 1800 dollar camera. I'm happy

David K

Workshop Member
Good test... and the Nikon, as adjusted, holds it's own pretty well vs the M8. The one time I wanted to use the 3D active lighting I couldn't find it quickly in the menus :)

Guy Mancuso

Thanks David , It helped me figure out the Dr on it to make that adjustment that it needs on shots like this. I noticed all along the heavier contrast looking images and this adjustment can really help.

BTW How is the 24mm shift. i am starting to rethink my next lens purchase:D:D:D