The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alternate paths to sharpness from Nikon mount lens

ZoranC

Typical path is get sharpest lens you can and mount it on your Nikon.

Another path some explore is put Nikon mount lens on body equipped with Foveon sensor that has been modified to take Nikon mount lens, like Sigma SD14 aka SD14-F.

Below is one pic from CV 58/1.4 mounted on SD14 body. That is downsized, 100% size is at http://zart.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p800721951.jpg.

This is at F2. What you think of it's sharpness? Worth getting that body for it?

D

ddk

This image says nothing and what you lose to a poor lens no sensor is going to recover!

D

ddk

Poor lens? Could you please explain?
Typical path is get sharpest lens you can and mount it on your Nikon.

Another path some explore is put Nikon mount lens on body equipped with Foveon sensor that has been modified to take Nikon mount lens, like Sigma SD14 aka SD14-F.
Responding to your hypothesis that you'll get sharper results with a lesser lens on with a Sigma that a better lens on a Nikon body, does this thread have something to do with your FS post?

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11661&highlight=sigma

ZoranC

Responding to your hypothesis that you'll get sharper results with a lesser lens on with a Sigma that a better lens on a Nikon body
That was not the hypothesis, that is you jumping to assumption too fast. We are talking results from _same_ lens on two different bodies. Same thing say D300 owners do when they send in body for removal of anti-aliasing screen.

does this thread have something to do with your FS post?

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11661&highlight=sigma
Yes, it does. I am having a typical case of seller's remorse and am rethinking should I keep it because I feel I keep getting crisper results from SD14-F than my D300 _with SAME lens_.

ZoranC

... I feel I keep getting crisper results from SD14-F than my D300 _with SAME lens_.
Below are two 100% crops that illustrate this.

See in first one the "teeth" on roof shingles that are facing you (not ridges on top of them)? You can _not_ see them in shot taken with same lens and D300.

See horizontal blinds behind window on left and patter on door drapes in second one? You can _not_ see them in shot taken with same lens and D300.

D

ddk

That was not the hypothesis, that is you jumping to assumption too fast. We are talking results from _same_ lens on two different bodies. Same thing say D300 owners do when they send in body for removal of anti-aliasing screen.
That's not what you wrote!

Yes, it does. I am having a typical case of seller's remorse and am rethinking should I keep it because I feel I keep getting crisper results from SD14-F than my D300 _with SAME lens_.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now I've read this thread umpteen times, and still I'm not getting the message. Are you trying to prove that the CV 58mm is a very sharp lens at f/2.0 or are you trying to tell us that the SD14 shows a lot of detail. At the Sigma's native resolution, which is what you're using, that doesn't really prove much, does it? Particularly if you compare with a D300 (which, as far as I can understand, you don't), which has a much higher resolution anyway.

If you show identical shots taken with both cameras, and with the Sigma shot up-rezed to the Nikon's resolution, it would make more sense, but even then.... the CV 58? That's a nice lens for portraits if I've understood things correctly, but if it's a sensor test you're after, a macro lens with a flat field curvature would be a better choice.

ZoranC

Now I've read this thread umpteen times, and still I'm not getting the message. Are you trying to prove that the CV 58mm is a very sharp lens at f/2.0 or are you trying to tell us that the SD14 shows a lot of detail.
I felt it is pretty obvious from posts above that I am trying to say that SD14 provides detail others don't thanks to differences in design.

At the Sigma's native resolution, which is what you're using, that doesn't really prove much, does it? Particularly if you compare with a D300 (which, as far as I can understand, you don't), which has a much higher resolution anyway.

If you show identical shots taken with both cameras, and with the Sigma shot up-rezed to the Nikon's resolution, it would make more sense
You are still not paying attention to what has been said.

Also, many people confuse number of pixels with detail (resolution) because they are forgetting or don't know/understand how Bayer sensors in cameras like D300 work.

You might want to read this article:

http://www.ddisoftware.com/sd14-5d/

Guy is comparing SD14 to Canon 5D with lots of side by side upsized samples. Spoiler warning: SD14 is whooping 5D even after upsizing.

... but even then.... the CV 58? That's a nice lens for portraits if I've understood things correctly, but if it's a sensor test you're after, a macro lens with a flat field curvature would be a better choice.
Please notice and realize that resolving ability of a sensor, unlike lenses, does not fall off in the corner so whether test was with lens that have curvature or with one that do not is irrelevant, answer in the corner will be same one as one in the center :)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I appreciate that the SD14 can resolve a lot of detail, and I've read the article you're referring to. Hadn't it been for the rather mediocre viewfinder and ergonomics of the camera body, I would have considered buying one converted to OM mount for my own use.

Still, for a comparison to have any practical value, a side-by-side comparison with the lowest resolution image up-rezed is the only way to go. And although your photo is sharp enough along a vertical column, a sharp, full frame is still relevant. Even if sensor sharpness doesn't fall off in the corners, that is only a valid argument if the lens is telecentric. Most lenses aren't, and I would believe that the Foveon sensor would gain more than most from this, due to the physical design of its sensor. (Which is one reason why I'm endlessly surprised why Sigma didn't make its DSLR for 4/3, where near telecentricity was an important part of the design concept.).

ZoranC

color me stupid....aren't you selling the camera? you prefer the inferior performance of Nikon sensor's?
Like said before (as you can read just few posts above) color me undecided with typical case of seller's remorse/rethinking.

In the meantime here is another shot I took with it few days ago _upsized_ to 10+ MP. Impressive, huh?